Energy saving products

Yes, she preheats the oven. It doesn't take as long, because it's so small.
I usually don't bother preheating a toaster oven. If I think about it I do. like if I'm next to it and the food isn't ready to go in. but it heats up so fast anyway.

Reactions: David3
It seems that, although it is a separate room with a door, our little kitchen is not officially a kitchen but a cooking space. :argh:
🤔 That's puzzling.

I use my electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) more than any other appliance, it is also a slow cooker. Uses very little energy

Reactions: Lou and Brian W
🤔 That's puzzling.

I use my electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) more than any other appliance, it is also a slow cooker. Uses very little energy
I like my slow cooker but I'm looking for a way to crisp things without too much oil and without having to use too much electricity. It's great for soups and liquid foods.

I like my slow cooker but I'm looking for a way to crisp things without too much oil and without having to use too much electricity. It's great for soups and liquid foods.
Yeah but it's not a pressure cooker! I very rarely use the slow cook feature, only for a few seitans
It can also proof bread and culture yogurt.
Sounds like you want a nice toaster oven. I have one with an air fry setting, not sure how well it works as that, but I like it

Reactions: Brian W
I have used my air fryer a lot since I moved house, over 3 months now. I think I have used the main oven only once, but I do use the hob as I don't have a microwave.

I find it quicker and cheaper with an air fryer. I might replace the oven when it comes to Christmas though as that is the one time of year I usually need one.

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I have gotten away from oven use and oil use just by settling for foods being boiled (oatmeal, barley, millet, and other grains) like a porridge, and vegetables being what I think is called "braised", which in practice for me means I boil a small amount of water in a pot (half a centimeter?), then add my veggies when it is boiling, and keep it boiling or simmering until they are as cooked as I want them to be. To further save on energy, I sometimes put another heavy pot on top of the cooking pot lid, to make a sort of make-shift semi-pressure cooker simulation. then turn the heat down low. Only if I can stay close by to watch it. But I don't mind eating mushy things. If I cook for someone else who wants pancakes or something, I have a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet that I only need a little oil in.

Air fryers are a great alternative to using oil for cooking. They can cook food with up to 80% less oil than traditional methods and typically use much less electricity than oven baking. They also cook food quickly and can retain more of its nutritional value. Additionally, air fryers are a great way to reduce unhealthy fats in your diet. If you're looking for an energy-efficient and healthier way to cook, an air fryer may be a worthwhile investment.

Reactions: PTree15