Saving (and wasting) Energy Strategies

500channelsurfer

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Saving (and wasting) Energy by Adjusting Indoor Temperature, and Strategies

Humans generally prefer indoor temperatures of around 20-25 C or 70-76 F, but many commercial buildings turn up their air conditioning during the summer for various cultural reasons, wasting energy. It is to the point that during the hottest times of the year they make the temperature 19-20 C or 67-70 F and many people bring sweaters to the shopping mall or office buildings during a hot summer to wear indoors in order to feel comfortable, which is ridiculous. Many retail businesses crank up their air conditioning when it's hot because they believe it will attract customers into their store and give off an air of being a more prestigious business. Same thing with office buildings wanting to give off a sense of prosperity to the businesspeople inside.

At the same time, electric and other utility companies encourage residents to lower their home temperatures during the winter to save energy. Commercial buildings commonly blast hot air at their entryways where much of the heat generated is lot to or leaked out into the cold outdoors. Could there be some energy-saving strategy to this as it might help insulate the rest of the building or is this a net energy losing strategy?

In fact, humans are more sensitive to relatively small degree changes in humidity than temperature. These commercial buildings could make the people inside just as comfortable and save a lot of energy by dehumidifying to a greater degree and reducing their air conditioning usage. Perceived temperature would be the same with less humidity and a slightly higher temperature.

Why are there no even conventions around preferred commercial indoor temperature and seasonal strategies?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife doesn't understand the concept of a thermostat. She thinks you have to turn it up in cold weather and turn it down in hot weather. She doesn't get it, even after explanations, that the thermostat will keep the temperature constant all by itself - that's its job.

I suspect that the temperatures in commercial buildings are subject to much the same line of thinking.

My wife doesn't understand the concept of a thermostat. She thinks you have to turn it up in cold weather and turn it down in hot weather. She doesn't get it, even after explanations, that the thermostat will keep the temperature constant all by itself - that's its job.

I suspect that the temperatures in commercial buildings are subject to much the same line of thinking.
Maybe a disconnect? I mean the thermostat is what tells the hvac the temp to maintain. I certainly don't keep it the same temp in summer as winter--when it's colder I keep it at 66 F, but in hot weather 78F, during day time. I do adjust as needed.

I hate how offices always seem to be so cold! The office people often wear their coats, and complain! Same with grocery stores. Appartantly it's not as easy to control as I would think.

I worked at a company where the air conditioning was always kept very cold. This was because the larger-bodied people would otherwise feel too hot.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15

"Thermo" = "heat"
"Stat" = "static" or "steady"

At the same time, electric and other utility companies encourage residents to lower their home temperatures during the winter to save energy. Commercial buildings commonly blast hot air at their entryways where much of the heat generated is lot to or leaked out into the cold outdoors. Could there be some energy-saving strategy to this as it might help insulate the rest of the building or is this a net energy losing strategy?
My guess is that this makes little sense as an energy saving strategy. I think that blast of hot air feels particularly nice as you enter from the cold and creates a positive impression as you walk in the store. As you walk out the store, it makes you feel the cold more and again creates a positive feeling about what you've left behind. I think it's a psychological trick to make the store feel more attractive, with little consideration given to energy efficiency.

thermal lining wall paper !! i got mine from a vegan paint brand called victory colours it was the wallrock liner, definitely worth the investment during the energy crisis

Great question! It's important to be mindful of energy use, especially when it comes to indoor temperature. One strategy is to install a programmable thermostat that adjusts temperatures according to your schedule. This can help reduce energy waste by not cooling or heating the space when no one is around. Additionally, consider the material of the building - heating and cooling efficient materials can also help save energy.

My electric company's big rate increase took effect Jan. 1, so I'm conserving even more than usual. I'm pretty careful about not leaving lights on unnecessarily, but I'm keeping them off as much as possible and using some candles for a bit of light in the bathroom and the kitchen.