Energy saving products

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I want to get away from using so much oil when I cook but oven baking uses a lot of electricity. I'm wondering how an air fryer compares and whether or not it is worth investing in one.

I want to get away from using so much oil when I cook but oven baking uses a lot of electricity. I'm wondering how an air fryer compares and whether or not it is worth investing in one.

An air fryer is an oven. So, you'll never really use it to fry food only bake it. I actually use my air fryer far more often than my oven. However, I don't have a house full of hungry people to feed.

I bought an inexpensive air fryer from QVC UK and hopefully it'll last me quite a few years.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
An air fryer is an oven. So, you'll never really use it to fry food only bake it. I actually use my air fryer far more often than my oven. However, I don't have a house full of hungry people to feed.

I bought an inexpensive air fryer from QVC UK and hopefully it'll last me quite a few years.
There are only two of us and I was concerned about cutting oil intake and the environmental cost. I have a particularly strange problem though ... for some weird reason, our flat doesn't have any electric sockets in the kitchen!!! :fp:

There are only two of us and I was concerned about cutting oil intake and the environmental cost. I have a particularly strange problem though ... for some weird reason, our flat doesn't have any electric sockets in the kitchen!!! :fp:

Oh that is strange. How do you manage to use a kettle and other useful appliances such as a food processor etc?

Oh that is strange. How do you manage to use a kettle and other useful appliances such as a food processor etc?
I rarely use our food processor and we heat a kettle on the stove. We used to have an electric kettle in the livingroom but it kept blowing the main fuse.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I have a particularly strange problem though ... for some weird reason, our flat doesn't have any electric sockets in the kitchen!!! :fp:
At the risk of asking a blindingly stupid question, have you considered having a chat with an Electrician?

At the risk of asking a blindingly stupid question, have you considered having a chat with an Electrician?
And, if you're renting, an email to your landlord, possibly after a chat with Citizens' Advice.

I use a small air fryer quite a bit. It is quicker than heating the oven and does a good job with lots of things, particularly potatoes in various guises. I've done bread rolls, with some dough I had left over from a pizza and they were perfect. Also, toasted chickpeas came out beautifully.

It's down to the agency that owns the building and they have already refurbished the way they want it, including an electric socket in the bathroom, but not in the kitchen!

Reactions: danceswithcats
And, if you're renting, an email to your landlord, possibly after a chat with Citizens' Advice.

I use a small air fryer quite a bit. It is quicker than heating the oven and does a good job with lots of things, particularly potatoes in various guises. I've done bread rolls, with some dough I had left over from a pizza and they were perfect. Also, toasted chickpeas came out beautifully.
Sorry. I just saw that you're not in the UK, so my advice is moot.

• Friendly
It's down to the agency that owns the building and they have already refurbished the way they want it, including an electric socket in the bathroom, but not in the kitchen!
Fair enough.

Certainly in the UK there would be a case to be made for the kitchen not being fit for purpose and therefore bringing pressure to bear on the landlord. However, you've already taught me more than I knew about renting in Sweden so I'll keep quiet again for a bit. :grinning:

So, if you were to invest in an air fryer, where would you plug it in?

So, if you were to invest in an air fryer, where would you plug it in?
I would have to make space on the table but thinking about it, if the kettle blew the fuse, this might too. The slow cooker works without blowing the fuse but I think that uses less power.

I would have to make space on the table but thinking about it, if the kettle blew the fuse, this might too. The slow cooker works without blowing the fuse but I think that uses less power.

That's right, a slow cooker uses the same amount of electricity as a light bulb.

• Informative
Don't know what its like where you live but here in the US, or at least in California there are rules about electric outlets. one every 6 feet or something like that

Between my stove and refrigerator I needed a place to plug in my air fryer. so I just put in a splitter and an extension cord.

I have a total of 6 outlets in the kitchen and two of them have those multiple things with power surge protectors. IP, microwave, clock radio. plus some empty ones for the things that aren't plugged in all the time. blender, rocket blender, immersion blender, food processor,

I am also a fan of air fryers and toaster ovens and use mine a lot. I hardly ever use the stove oven. No outlets in the kitchen is very strange!

Air fryer or toaster oven would definitely use less energy. You’re using a much smaller space. Similar to closing off unused rooms in the house so you don’t have to heat them.

I prefer cooking with any electric appliance over the gas stove I have, because gas has nearly doubled and electric has stayed the same.

My first house built in the 80s had no outlets in the bathroom which was weird. Apparently nobody used a hair dryer, curling iron, electric shaver, electric toothbrush. I put them in myself, but I also owned the place.

It seems that, although it is a separate room with a door, our little kitchen is not officially a kitchen but a cooking space. :argh: