Emailing an old friend out of the blue...

Well the way this all came about is that I was going through old email addresses from my archaeology days, and happened upon a few people with whom I had simply lost contact but was curious as to how they are doing now. It's just the nature of the business. You work with someone for a single project or summer then move on and lose track of each other. I did end up emailing someone I haven't spoken with in over seven years, and she ended up writing back the next day all excited to hear from me.

Yes I agree with Ginger, I would not be getting back with an ex if it wasn't contact through emails and facebook. We are taking things slow.

I keep wanting to do this. I have an old friend added on Facebook but I'd feel weird suddenly properly talking to them. I know if someone did that to me I wouldnt mind though. Although if they showed up on my doorstep thatd be a different story!

If someone turned up on my door who wasn't invited and I hadn't seen in years, I would be freaked out and would make an excuse not to invite them in.

I've had phone calls from people who I hadn't seen in years and were calling for a "catch up". I wasn't weirded out but I didn't have much in common with them then (which is why we're no longer friends) and I still didn't, so I chatted for a bit, found it boring and made an excuse.

I e-mailed a friend a few years after we stopped talking. She was incredibly happy to hear from me and we met up and became friends again. We had gone in different paths though and after a couple of months I broke it off again, she was taking a lot of drugs and hanging around with bad people and I didn't want to watch her do that kind of stuff. I still talk to her mum occasionally although I generally don't ask about my friend because I don't want to make things weird, as I see it now this lady is my friend rather than just my friend's mum. But if the friend did get in touch with me I would be happy, I get the impression that she has moved away from the drugs and is now doing well for herself.