Eating While Traveling

MyDigitalpoint

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Planning your next vacation usually focus on the destination, transportation, lodging, and places you would like to visit, including entertainment venues or other spare-time activities.

You might be aware that traveling involves going on shopping time, visiting museums or art galleries perhaps, but also dining out.

And here is the point of my questions, when traveling, do you plan where to eat being a vegan or vegetarian?

Do you prefer buy your food and prepare yourself improvised meals at the hotel or going on picnic time?

Are you willing to put aside your alimentary convictions and taste the regular food served at local restaurants?

Personally I haven't realized of this until reaching my destination and find myself wondering what to do next.

Planning your next vacation usually focus on the destination, transportation, lodging, and places you would like to visit, including entertainment venues or other spare-time activities.

You might be aware that traveling involves going on shopping time, visiting museums or art galleries perhaps, but also dining out.

And here is the point of my questions, when traveling, do you plan where to eat being a vegan or vegetarian?

Do you prefer buy your food and prepare yourself improvised meals at the hotel or going on picnic time?

Are you willing to put aside your alimentary convictions and taste the regular food served at local restaurants?

Personally I haven't realized of this until reaching my destination and find myself wondering what to do next.

When I'm away from home I usually refer to a website that a vegan friend linked me to. It's called www.happycow.net, and you can find vegetarian or vegan restaurants by location on there. It's an awesome resource and I actually used it on a recent trip to Japan and found a ton of places in Tokyo that were vegan friendly. It can be done!! Hopefully that resource helps you in your travels like it's helped me! These days I try to map out places I want to try before I get to the destination too -- takes a bit of the stress out of it!

Reactions: MyDigitalpoint
Just checking the Happy Cow now and, at a glance, looks like this website is going to be really helpful planning my upcoming summertime vacation.

I was really worried wondering how to keep changes in my eating habits up, not being able to find this type of restaurante with ease when traveling.

Thank you so much for the link :)

No problems! Just glad it could help. I had the exact same concerns and was seriously worried that I'd just have to pack whatever vegan foods I could find at a supermarket into a backpack and deal with that when I was out and about exploring new places - but thankfully that resource helped a lot. Plus, I always think it's nice to experience local twists on vegan foods too, right? Food is one of the things I enjoy most about visiting new places and it would have been sad to miss out on that!

I think this depends completely on where you are travelling to.
If you are travelling within your own country, then you should be able to work out in advance what you need to provide and where you can purchase food. And within my own country I have absolutely no need to drop being vegan for a minute. There are plenty of option available and if I need to eat at a motorway service station that I know is a bad one, then I will take my own food with me. I always travel with my own dairy free milk as it is. I can't rely on a hotel having any given they can't even provide dairy free bread or marg! So on the whole I will provide my own food unless I happen to know that there is a vegetarian restaurant in the vicinity of where we are going to (vegetarian restaurants always have vegan options on the menu in the UK. However, restaurants that say they have a vegetarian menu are another matter entirely). But most of the time I am travelling or on holiday, I will be camping or in self catering, so the problem only resides as motorway services and they are much better nowadays with various supermarkets taking some of them over and providing food halls where I can pick up enough to make a meal (pitta, humus and some grated prepared veg make for a nice lunch).

Outside your own country is another matter and in some eastern European countries in rural areas we have had to accept defeat because there are only so many days in a row you can live off chips and bread! And it is anyone's guess what the chips were fried in anyway, so we will get an omelette if we can without meat, or sadly on 3 or 4 occasions had to accept defeat and eat what we were served with grace (where we had been invited in to someone home after being seen on the street looking for accommodation whilst we were cycling around the world - sometimes the choice was simply not there and it would have been rude to have done anything else).

But on the whole we have found we can get by and usually have our own food available.

I think this depends completely on where you are travelling to.
If you are travelling within your own country, then you should be able to work out in advance what you need to provide and where you can purchase food. And within my own country I have absolutely no need to drop being vegan for a minute. There are plenty of option available and if I need to eat at a motorway service station that I know is a bad one, then I will take my own food with me. I always travel with my own dairy free milk as it is. I can't rely on a hotel having any given they can't even provide dairy free bread or marg! So on the whole I will provide my own food unless I happen to know that there is a vegetarian restaurant in the vicinity of where we are going to (vegetarian restaurants always have vegan options on the menu in the UK. However, restaurants that say they have a vegetarian menu are another matter entirely). But most of the time I am travelling or on holiday, I will be camping or in self catering, so the problem only resides as motorway services and they are much better nowadays with various supermarkets taking some of them over and providing food halls where I can pick up enough to make a meal (pitta, humus and some grated prepared veg make for a nice lunch).

Outside your own country is another matter and in some eastern European countries in rural areas we have had to accept defeat because there are only so many days in a row you can live off chips and bread! And it is anyone's guess what the chips were fried in anyway, so we will get an omelette if we can without meat, or sadly on 3 or 4 occasions had to accept defeat and eat what we were served with grace (where we had been invited in to someone home after being seen on the street looking for accommodation whilst we were cycling around the world - sometimes the choice was simply not there and it would have been rude to have done anything else).

But on the whole we have found we can get by and usually have our own food available.
Hi Connie
How did you feel having to eat non vegan food?
I'm travelling to Spain this summer and staying in an all inclusive hotel (booked before changing to vegan) I will contact them before hand but I'm really not sure what to expect. In the past meals in spanish hotels have seemed to be very heavy on meat and fish with little or no alternative protein options available.
Julie

I'm travelling to Spain this summer and staying in an all inclusive hotel (booked before changing to vegan) I will contact them before hand but I'm really not sure what to expect. In the past meals in spanish hotels have seemed to be very heavy on meat and fish with little or no alternative protein options available.

Oh you should check out Damo's recent thread! Very relevant.