During the cube of truth.....

Chanjin Yoon

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone I am a vegan newbie, and I am really into activism and I enjoy participating in Cube of Trurth. Other day during the cube I was outreaching I had a conversation with a man that does not eat animals (pigs, cows, chicken, etc) but he said his main source of animal protein was insects. After I heard that I didn’t know what to say to him. My main purpose in a cube is trying to convert people togo vegan or try a plant based diet for 22days. I wouldn’t eat a living animal including insects, but I just don’t know what to say next time if I meet a person that eats insects. I would love to hear what you guys will say and what you think about it!

This guy was probably just messing with you trying to trip you up. Or he's so far out there your efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

The best argument against eating bugs is that it's ******* gross. Why would you eat bugs?!

Nobody needs a "source of animal protein". All protein gets broken down into amino acids...aminos from plants are just as good as those from animals.

We don't have anymore right over insects bodies and lives than we do over pigs or cows. They don't belong to us, they aren't ours to do with what we wish. Insects have nervous systems and respond to pain stimuli. There's no reason to think they can't experience pain and suffering. Why hurt insects for the same nutrition you can get from plants?

Reactions: TofuRobot
I think the ethical arguments against eating insects is a grey area.
But we don't NEED to eat bugs. They are not essential or necessary for our health. We don't need "animal protein". So there is no argument FOR eating bugs.
Some researchers and scientists say farming insects will help alleviate world hunger. But I don't think they have the numbers. I haven't heard of any bugs that are more than 30% efficient in changing plant calories to bug calories. Bugs can eat farm wastes and convert it to bug calories/protein. But the lower the quality of the food, the lower is the efficiency of the conversion. It would probably just be better to use farm wastes for fuel or compost.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Then why is it a grey area?

Hurting animals unnecessarily is wrong. Their brain size and body plan has nothing to do with it.

One day, I read this headline from the news paper: Insects, and other plant foods, are considered to be served more often in schools and rest homes.
Insects aren't plants...:neutral:

It's a new hype amongst "health conscious" people. But I'm sure it'll pass. Soon, I hope. It's disgusting, I can't understand how a large group of people can be brainwashed so badly that they'll willingly eat insects. That's a food source for small reptiles, not for humans.

I don't know what the science says about this, but... (I'm not proud of this, it was macabre) I have taken care of food insects (not for humans... for reptiles), and I'm pretty sure that they feel. I always tried to be careful, when I had to handle them, because I thought that they were scared and able to feel somekind of pain. They wanted to skitter around in their warm terrarium and eat little pieces of carrots. If they really feel and have some level of self-awareness, it's unethical for us humans to eat them.
Reptiles don't have a choice.
But we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, first off, I don't eat shellfish or insects.
But I'm not so sure that they have feelings. Although I'm pretty sure they feel pain. and going back to one of the first philosophers to discuss animal rights - it's not that they can talk or whatever, its that they can suffer. So, for now, I'm going to err on the side of caution. And it's not like I really want to eat insects anyway.

Most insects have incredibly small brains. You need a microscope to see a fruit fly's. I think a lobster has a brain the size of a pencil point. Scientists have destroyed insect brains surgically, and the insect lives for days. * But a honey bee's brain is really small and they are pretty smart. So who knows what is going on in these little animal's heads.

But eating insects or at least the idea of eating insects has been gaining traction in the news. I think it is because some people think it may be an avenue to end world hunger. First off, I don't think they have done the math correctly. but also I see some real issues with social/economic concerns.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-cockroach-can-live-without-head/

Reactions: Deleted member 3018