Dry, itchy and flaky skin

NewVeganMA

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for being part of this community and for accepting me as a member. It is really amazing to have like-minded people to ask advice from, to share experiences with, and to support each other.

I changed my diet from carnivore to vegan in mid-February this year, so I have been strict vegan for 2 month and a half. I am careful to eat lots of green vegetables, cereals, pulses, nuts and raw oils. And so far I feel better. I feel lighter (lost some weight), with more energy, and better with myself because I am not feeding on other creatures suffering. Hence why, I would like to remain vegan.

I have been working from home since last summer, but I tried to go out in the open air at least twice or three times per week throughout the winter, but since the lockdown started I have been taking sporadic sunbaths in my garden. Also, I must admit that I have not taken D vitamin at all, and the only supplement I have been taking since early April is vitamin B12.

My skin used to be very oily, particularly in my face. I would not say that I suffered from acné but I was prone to have blackspots and pimples in my nose and chin.
After a month of my vegan diet, the excess of oil in my skin disappeared and I was very happy to notice this positive change.
However, at this point of my journey (2 and a half months later), I am noticing that my skin is turning very dry, flaky and itchy. So, I think I am missing some sort of nutrient that gives flexibility and tone to my skin.
Last week I started to eat a teaspoon of coconut oil, and I am also rub it in my skin, but it is still too soon to see the results.

Would you please let me know about your experiences with this issue?
Do you think this will be solved by taking a vitamin D supplement?
Other suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Stay safe and have a great week.

Vitamin D deficiency is a real concern. A lot of people have it. And it does have some serious risks and consequences.

I used to worry about Vitamin D but I don't anymore.
First off I seem to get a lot from my food. Not enough but a lot. I drink a lot of fortified plant milks.
I also take a multi that has a lot. Between the milk and the vitamin, I get over 1000 IU a day.

There are some "Vitamin D" Calculators on the internet. You can google it. They require some effort to work. I only once had the patience to complete the calculations. And the results are based on all kinds of things that change from the time of year to the time of day. So its something you have to do more than once. But I suppose it gets easier with practice.

The takeaway I got was that I needed to go outside about 30 minutes a week to get adequate amounts of Vitamin D - without the food or supplements.

I'm a proponent of taking an inexpensive multivitamin. It's just cheap insurance. Most multis contain 100% of the RDA of D.

I doubt that the skin issue is from a nutrient deficiency. If anything a healthy vegan diet has more vitamins than a regular diet.

It could be caused by the fact that your skin does not produce an "excess of oil" anymore. I'm not sure what causes that - but it's commonly reported among new vegans. I think the general consensus is that it is dairy-related - but I don't know if there is any scientific evidence of that. but it is commonly reported that taking dairy out of the diet clears up skin.

My suspicion is that it is an external factor. Perhaps you changed soaps or lotions. Maybe your old soap worked better when your skin was oily and now you need a soap for dry skin. and a different moisturizer?

We have some members here who live in the UK. They might be able to recommend cruelty-free soap and moisturizers. If not try googling.

Reactions: NewVeganMA
Hi Lou,

Many thanks for your detailed post and your wonderful suggestions.

Regarding your advice of "taking an inexpensive multivitamin", once I take this, should I stop taking the vitamin B12 supplement?

I have not changed soap or body lotion, so I think it could be related to some supplement I am not taking.

Many thanks again for your help.

Regarding your advice of "taking an inexpensive multivitamin", once I take this, should I stop taking the vitamin B12 supplement?

Check the amount of B12 in the supplement. Some have only 100% of the RDA. That isn't actually enough.

There are too many numbers involved for me to remember but our bodies are only able to absorb like a third of the RDA at any one time. After that first third, the absorption rate goes down to about 1%. The good news is that after a few hours that absorption rate goes back up to 100%. If you ingest B12 fortified foods 3 - 4 times a day, you are probably ok. Otherwise, you need a B12 supplement with 10,000% of the RDA.

We have some really good thread on B12 on this forum that will explain it better. And there is a video by Dr. Gregar (I think) that is really all you need to watch. I can't find it but I bet someone here has a link to it.

You also said, "I have not changed soap or body lotion, so I think it could be related to some supplement I am not taking."

I think its almost the reverse. now that your skin isn't oily anymore you probably need a gentler soap and a moisturizer.

Reactions: NewVeganMA
Hi Lou,

It makes total sense, since my skin isn't oily anymore I probably need a gentler soap and a moisturizer. Many thanks for showing me a different approach to this situation.

I will definitely read the thread on vitamin B12 and watch the video you recommended.

Thanks ever so much for your massive help!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I do not recommend a multi vitamin for a few reasons- one is that vitamins work against each other, two they're synthetic and not utilized by our bodies the way whole food is.
I do recommend getting you D level checked- I found mine was very low and after mega dosing and maintance doses it solved the bone pain I was having
I also take b12 and algae dha

Eating seeds, nuts, avocado if you like it, should provide enough good fats.

Do you include ground flaxseeds? I have heard they've helped people with dry skin. I include a Tblsp a day, usually in oats or other whole grains. I haven't had any skin issues though

Reactions: NewVeganMA and Lou
Hi Silva,

I agree, a D level check-up will give me 100% certainty. Many thanks for this suggestion.

I have seeds, nuts, avocado and olive oil every day, I have algae but not as often as I should, so I started to have them again today.

I am most grateful for your advice on having ground flaxseeds with my breakfast. I will definitely have them!

Mid February you say? Sure it isn't from compulsive hand washing and sanitizer? :rofl:
I've never used hand creme so much as these last few months!

Have you changed products? Sometimes people will change products to organic/vegan ones and not consider that as the source

Reactions: Lou