Dog Poisoned -Crufts Show

I have a friend who used to show dogs. She has said that poisoning competitors (to make them too ill to compete well) was not at all an unusual occurrence, and that many handlers therefore train their dogs to not eat anything except what is handed to them by a few well known humans.

I have a friend who used to show dogs. She has said that poisoning competitors (to make them too ill to compete well) was not at all an unusual occurrence, and that many handlers therefore train their dogs to not eat anything except what is handed to them by a few well known humans.
Wow, that surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't, considering a lot of people's attitudes to animals.

Wow, that surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't, considering a lot of people's attitudes to animals.

There's a lot of ego riding on the outcome of these competitions, and, at the top levels, a lot of money. Getting a dog to the point of participating in Westminster, for example, is $50,000 to $100,000 per year. Miss P wins Westminster Dog Show: Cost of getting a show dog to Westminster - Feb. 17, 2015 Even lower level competition easily gets into five figures per year.

I know that some people in the UK have left poisoned meat in parks for dogs to eat so this doesn't surprise me.:(

A couple of years ago, I was researching local dog groomers, because I wanted to take my Pyr in to be professionally groomed for a change. In the course of my research, I ran across an incident where the owners of one grooming establishment were suspected of tossing poisoned meat into the outdoor enclosure of a competitor, in an effort to ruin the competitor's business.

I decided to continue to wrestle with my Pyr by myself.