Does this joke bother?

I think it's really offensive for its obtuseness in failing to understand the issue is not life or killing/using living things but suffering or killing/using organisms that can suffer, and carrots cannot suffer.

Last edited:
I'm not offended by it. I don't think I've been offended by any joke about veg*ns. Occasionally, depending on my mood and what I perceive the intent of the jokester to be, I will be somewhat irritated.

I've always thought that being "triggered" is different from being offended. "Triggered" has the connotation of bringing to the forefront negative emotions originating in one or more traumatic experiences that the person being triggered has suffered in the past. Ex.: Fireworks triggering panic in someone who has experienced war; an unexpected touch triggering fear in someone who has experienced domestic violence.

Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou
I've always thought that being "triggered" is different from being offended. "Triggered" has the connotation of bringing to the forefront negative emotions originating in one or more traumatic experiences that the person being triggered has suffered in the past.

I agree. That was the original or primary meaning. However in recent years its become more used or even overused and has also lost some of its meaning. It all seems to mean is a response. Like that smell triggered a memory.

"I could see some vegans being triggered by this."
But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Or maybe that is why it is said like that. We can use our imaginations on what the response was.

On this vegan, it triggered a smirk.

I'm not offended by it. I don't think I've been offended by any joke about veg*ns. Occasionally, depending on my mood and what I perceive the intent of the jokester to be, I will be somewhat irritated.

I've always thought that being "triggered" is different from being offended. "Triggered" has the connotation of bringing to the forefront negative emotions originating in one or more traumatic experiences that the person being triggered has suffered in the past. Ex.: Fireworks triggering panic in someone who has experienced war; an unexpected touch triggering fear in someone who has experienced domestic violence.
I seriously just read an article that said "triggered" among other words, was a word you should watch for if you have a white teenage son in the US as it's something the white nationalists use.... I was like, what??

Edit: Here is a link to it:

Is this for real? I did not know white extremists had the market on the word "triggered." ??

Last edited:
The carrot joke is kind of funny as is the cauliflower lamb pic, lol
I don't get offended easily, unless someone is personally attacking me, even then it's pretty difficult. I would have to be close to said person for this to happen. I can see something or someone as offensive, but that doesn't mean I personally feel offended.

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
The carrot joke is kind of funny as is the cauliflower lamb pic, lol
I don't get offended easily, unless someone is personally attacking me, even then it's pretty difficult. I would have to be close to said person for this to happen. I can see something or someone as offensive, but that doesn't mean I personally feel offended.

Well, your tolerance for this kind of stuff has probably increased by you being a Fruit-Turkey. And here it isn't even Thanksgiving.

;)

I seriously just read an article that said "triggered" among other words, was a word you should watch for if you have a white teenage son in the US as it's something the white nationalists use.... I was like, what??

Is this for real? I did not know white extremists had the market on the word "triggered." ??

They may use it but I think its occurrence has increased a lot everywhere. I think up until a few years ago it has a specific meaning and was used specifically. I'm thinking I saw it mostly used with anorexics and suicidly depressed individuals. On YouTube sometimes when people talk about anorexia or suicide they preface it with a "Trigger Warning".

But its meaning and use seem to have spread. For example, Neil Gaiman wrote a book called Trigger Warning which is a collection of short stories, some of which are scary.

The Alt Right or whatever they're calling themselves these days overuse the word "triggered." They think it's funny to say anyone who is upset by anything is "triggered" especially if those people don't hold right wing opinions.

Call out culture just makes it worse. If I as a leftist am "called out" constantly (or any leftist/liberal for that matter) for not constantly talking about race, it just fuels the alt right in their white supremacy because woke culture has become a parody of itself, where even being white is perceived as "wrong." It's an incredibly stupid phenomenon that is self perpetuated online, at least, in social media.

It's why as a vegan I embrace ethical vegetarians. If you punch your allies you just strengthen your enemies. I would rather associate with vegetarians than push them in a group with meat eaters, because it just makes veganism seem too exclusive.

Woke shaming is similar. If these people don't stop punching left, they're just strengthening the Neo Nazis.

Reactions: Lou