Do you think it will be possible to stay vegan in prison?

mark765

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have been with my gf who is a vegan since we've been together - 5 years now. When I met her I start becoming vegetarian and then after that almost vegan. I can't say I am 100% there abnd sometimes lapse but I do my best.

I am getting sentenced next month and am expecting prison (UK). From what I'vre read most do have vegan meals but I honestly don't know if I would still be motivated enough to keep as much to the vegan diet and lifestyle. I also think it is something that might maje me stand out and I don't think that is a great way to be in prison.

I've had friends and family spend time in prison and it seems like the hardest thing about it is not having control. Sticking to a vegan diet will be one of the things you have control over, something that can't be taken away. But do what you have to to stay safe and sane. Good luck.

I've had friends and family spend time in prison and it seems like the hardest thing about it is not having control. Sticking to a vegan diet will be one of the things you have control over, something that can't be taken away. But do what you have to to stay safe and sane. Good luck.

Thanks. I have only been in a cell overnight before and took what I was given then. No idea how I'm going to cope with it - big thing for me - but it is my own fault I am in this situation.

I

I have been with my gf who is a vegan since we've been together - 5 years now. When I met her I start becoming vegetarian and then after that almost vegan. I can't say I am 100% there abnd sometimes lapse but I do my best.

I am getting sentenced next month and am expecting prison (UK). From what I'vre read most do have vegan meals but I honestly don't know if I would still be motivated enough to keep as much to the vegan diet and lifestyle. I also think it is something that might maje me stand out and I don't think that is a great way to be in prison.
Per Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Prisons, UK (see page 4 of this document https://www.justiceinspectorates.go...es/4/2016/09/Life-in-prison-Food-Web-2016.pdf ):

"PSI 44/2010 states that NOMS has a responsibility to meet, not only nutritional, but also cultural and diversity needs. This means providing meals that meet medical as well as religious or ethical dietary requirements, such as Halal, kosher, vegetarian and vegan meals."

Mistakes happen, thats' why there are erasers on pencils. Perhaps you are meant to be a role model for the incarcerated you will be
around. Stick up for what you believe in regardless of what others think, that is a source of STRENGTH, not weakness. Empathy, love
and compassion are strengths. Sometimes humans want attention, and when they do not get it for doing something good, get it by doing
something bad. Use your experience to become a better person and figure out what matters to you. In addition, if you choose to remain mostly
vegan, or not, thats' your option. But being different takes courage. Peace be with you.

Reactions: PTree15
In EU you can. However in US and other countries im not so sure..... Vegetarian is an options but vegan.....

I really don't know. you should ask someone in the prison system. Sometimes people with special dietary needs get better food.
But the standing out might be an overriding issue. Some people just don't like vegans.
I think this is a pretty interesting question, I personally think certain situations aren't vegan friendly. I doubt nomadic hunter gatherers could have survived as vegans for instance, but modern prisoners? I wouldnt think the prison would care about someone's dietary choices, unless it was for religious reasons, people's nutritional health probably isnt the best in any prison in general, in that kind of situation, it's probably best to eat whatever is given

Patrick Baboumian can lift 1200 pounds and walk 32 feet. He is a strong man and a strong vegan.

I would say, eat the most healthy and nutritious food for you that can be found in the institution you are living in. If you can manage to find food that is mostly vegan, then good. If not, it doesn't matter. You are still vegan and will be again when you leave prison and return to living life on your terms. This is not a difficult problem.

Reactions: Stardust1986