Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just saw a video from Plant Based News that is promoting this upcoming series from many of the plant based doctors, athletes, youtubers and dietitians that many of us have grown to respect.

https://therealtruthaboutweightloss.com/

It starts on March 16th and runs through to the 24th and it is free.

Here is a trailer for it.

Share it with anyone you know that might be helped by this.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Sax
We all likely could stand to lose a pound or two.

I was thinking of this for our friends and family who are still on the SAD and might watch it just based on the 'weight loss' idea, not knowing that most of the presenters are vegan / plant-based.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
We all likely could stand to lose a pound or two.

I was thinking of this for our friends and family who are still on the SAD and might watch it just based on the 'weight loss' idea, not knowing that most of the presenters are vegan / plant-based.

Emma JC

Yes! exactly. let's trick them into an ethical diet by dangling health in front of them. (evil laughter )

Yes! exactly. let's trick them into an ethical diet by dangling health in front of them. (evil laughter )
You have to trick them with *weight loss,* not health. People don't care so much about health (weight loss =/= health). In our society ppl are focused on vanity, not inner well being, sadly.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm deafblind so can't watch the video. What does it say?

I'm not sure about promoting veganism by promising weight loss. Everyone is differant. Some people gain weight on a vegan diet. I didn't have to watch what I ate so carefully before going vegan but since I'm NOT doing it to lose weight and I'd probably stay vegan even if I stayed obese on a vegan diet. Mind you most of my family put on weight after middle age so it's possible my weight gain has nothing to do with my vegan diet. I did manage to lose lots of weight while STAYING on a vegan diet. I just have to be more careful what I eat.

It's a promotional trailer for a video series on weight loss that emphasizes a whole food plant based diet. The video is mostly stock footage of food production, medical stuff, and people exercising with audio from various speakers (Alan Goldhamer, Brenda Davis, Scott Stoll, Hans Diehl, Neal Barnard, Michael Greger, Joel Fuhrman, Dean Ornish, Stephan Esser, Angie Sadeghi, Steve Lavenda, Chef AJ).

The speakers talk about things like "hyper-palatable foods" which stimulate dopamine production and how companies produce unhealthy food to maximize that effect. They draw a link between those kinds of foods and depression via dopamine sensitivity. Medical school teaches doctors the things they will be reimbursed for rather than what keeps people healthy, and there's only about 4 hours of actual nutrition information. They say DNA is not our destiny, and that lifestyle changes affect our epigenetics.

I agree with you that veganism shouldn't be promoted as a weight loss diet. I think a lot of people fail at transitioning because they unwittingly aren't getting enough calories...intentionally trying to minimize calories on top of that is likely to fail like so many other diets. But I think this video is promoting long-term lifestyle change, rather than a get skinny fast scheme. More of a way to use peoples' desire to lose weight as a lure to get people to consider a WFPB lifestyle.

The video series is free ("for a limited time only") but it looks like you have to register to watch it, and the website looks like it's using a lot of marketing techniques. Maybe the host Chef AJ is trying to sell cookbooks off it or something. The message seems totally on-point though.

Reactions: veganDreama
I have been using a plant based protein called Purebred Nutrition. It has 117 calories and 23 grams of protein. You can only get it online but I use it as a breakfast meal replacement. If you want to try it search iampurebred protein.