Children Do you know any other veg parents in real life?

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Freya have started to get into a couple of baby groups lately, and she is super super interested in kids at the playground, etc. which often sparks a conversation with the parent. I'm still feeling a bit isolated though in not wanting to sing "How much is that doggie in the window?", or failing to nod my head in agreement about the importance of eating yogurt (what IS it with British people and that stuff).

Do y'all know other veg parents?

We've been attending the La Leche meetings most months and this seems to be the most laid-back group with regard to "alternative" lifestyles like veganism.

Not to derail the topic but how IS the little one doing? Have you two gotten a good night's sleep yet? :p

Our animal rights group has it's first vegan preggers lady. I hope she'll get enough support, too. Do you have a vegan society there? Any couples with young kids that belong?

Have you met anyone at the La Leche League meetings? I made friends at mine that I still have 20 years later. :D

Don't really know any other veg parents of little ones IRL but I find many people are open to it. Polite questions/acceptance and all that, which is nice.

One of the harder parts when hanging with other kids is keeping the monkey out of their (non vegan) food. He loves to eat and seems to have developed a taste for goldfish crackers, thanks to his cousin who I caught feeding them to him!

Don't really know any other veg parents of little ones IRL but I find many people are open to it. Polite questions/acceptance and all that, which is nice.

One of the harder parts when hanging with other kids is keeping the monkey out of their (non vegan) food. He loves to eat and seems to have developed a taste for goldfish crackers, thanks to his cousin who I caught feeding them to him!
Lol, try these! http://chefchloe.com/on-the-side/vegan-goldfish-crackers.html

LB, we've just been to three meetings of LLL, but they are an amazingly welcoming group. We missed the one last week because F's teething and I wasn't about to wake her from a nap.

kfl - were you raised as a vegetarian?

Poppy, most of the vegan group folks around here seem to be single people or quite a bit older. We've enjoyed the meetups we've been to though, just not a lot of parents there.

Digger, we're doing alright. :) She still sleeps horribly, but there have been some ever so slight improvements lately and we're hoping for some more soon. The nights can be reallllly long, but she's funny as hell during the day and curious about every single thing so we have a lot of fun. Big thing right now = trying to learn how to give zerberts, which involves lots of blowing and spit flowing down my cheeks.

My co-worker has been a vegetarian since she was 11. Neither of her girls are veg. One of my two is vegetarian. I'm not sure how that would have been different if I had been vegetarian when they were little. My hunch is not very since I never ate much meat anyway. Hard to say what children will do. All you can do is guide them in the best way you know how.

ha-ha! No one has time for that with a toddler, I think. :D

Yeah I always wonder about these super moms who do all this fancy shmancy stuff. I am visiting with my parents right now so I do have the time, just not really motivated!

(We are also going though sleep issues...he has been waking every hour all night long for the past few weeks and that really really sucks)

Yeah I always wonder about these super moms who do all this fancy shmancy stuff. I am visiting with my parents right now so I do have the time, just not really motivated!

(We are also going though sleep issues...he has been waking every hour all night long for the past few weeks and that really really sucks)
Teething? I found hylands teething tablets helped my toddlers sleep. (Homeopathic, safe.)

Teething? I found hylands teething tablets helped my toddlers sleep. (Homeopathic, safe.)

I don't think so. It started when he was cutting four molars all at once (ouch!) which made for a pretty rough couple of weeks. The only thing that helped him at all was advil (yes we tried the teething tablets). But now he isn't showing any signs of pain just waking a lot. The past couple of nights my mom has taken over nighttime with him and he has been sleeping in longer chunks (3 hrs). I think having access to his favorite snack all night long keeps him waking for more. ;)

frozen teething rings are nice.

For short term pain relief, for sure. But they won't do much to keep a kiddo asleep at night ;)

Gave him a dose of advil last night before bed, just in case. He was "only" up every other hour instead of every hour. *sigh* At least that way I can get a little bit of sleep in between though.

Heh...this thread has gone way off topic :p

For short term pain relief, for sure. But they won't do much to keep a kiddo asleep at night ;)

Gave him a dose of advil last night before bed, just in case. He was "only" up every other hour instead of every hour. *sigh* At least that way I can get a little bit of sleep in between though.

Heh...this thread has gone way off topic :p
a small dose of melatonin may do the job.

a small dose of melatonin may do the job.

That was my last resort. Tried it last week after 3 nights with next to no sleep. Tried three nights in a row with no success. It seemed to make him extra sleepy but didn't keep him asleep. Getting him to sleep isn't a problem, keeping him asleep is!