Do you eat or drink soup?

MinaTokomi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
The age-long question of whether we drink or eat soup, best answered by a poll.
Drink or eat soup

Feel free to comment to push the thread a bit. I will upload the results in a week.

Reactions: Lou
Soup is sometimes chunky and I often can't tell the difference between soup and stew. In such cases you clearly eat it. With smooth soups, it depends upon the precise definitions of "eat" and "drink." Either way, you have to digest it like everything else you consume, apart from water.

The age-long question of whether we drink or eat soup, best answered by a poll.
Drink or eat soup

Feel free to comment to push the thread a bit. I will upload the results in a week.

I think the important thing is spoon or straw.

If you Have to use a spoon you are eating it. If you can use a straw you are drinking it.
Since I have never used a straw to drink my soup - I am in the "eating it" camp.
Although I have to admit that sometimes when I get to the bottom of the bowl I just pick it up and drink it. :)

If you Have to use a spoon you are eating it. If you can use a straw you are drinking it.
Since I have never used a straw to drink my soup - I am in the "eating it" camp.
Although I have to admit that sometimes when I get to the bottom of the bowl I just pick it up and drink it. :)
Same!

Reactions: Emma JC
When soup is of a liquid consistency, it is typically "drunk" rather than "eaten." This is because it is easier to sip the liquid from a spoon or bowl rather than using a utensil to scoop it up and chew it like a solid food. Examples of liquid soups include broths, consommés, and clear vegetable soups.

On the other hand, when soup is thicker in consistency, it is more commonly "eaten" with a spoon. Thicker soups typically have a higher ratio of solids to liquids, which makes it necessary to use a utensil to scoop them up and consume them. Examples of thick soups include chowders, stews, and cream-based soups.

I eat pretty much nothing but soup at times...
Mostly it is eating, except if it is a very thin, watery broth with only tiny fragments in it, then it can be drank.

Reactions: PTree15
A broth alone would be the only soup I would drink (and that would only be if I was sick).

My fav veggie soy curl noodley soup has far too many items in it to drink it.... until the very end. :yum

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
Please send me the recipe.

I put this up a while ago

here is my recipe as simply as possible:

Noodley Soy Curl Veggie Soup

water in the pot starting to warm - stir in whatever base you like, my preference is a heaping tablespoon of gochujang and a large teaspoon of white miso - once that is well stirred in and broken down then I add the veggies - approx 10 baby brussel sprouts (frozen), a large handful of frozen green & yellow beans and carrots (frozen) and some Thai Style frozen veggies, then I sprinkle some garlic powder on top, then add a handful of soy curls and either a handful of fresh arugula (or other greens) or frozen kale - once it starts boiling then I add in the noodles

once it is cooked I then add, gourmet rice vinegar, tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice, dry Keene's mustard (to bring out the goodness in the brussel sprouts), tumeric/pepper, oelek hot sauce and top with drizzled tahini

that's about it - other base alternatives would include: just miso, any stock (Better than Bouillon: veggie or roasted garlic or no beef or no chicken)

I make a very large pasta bowl full, piled high and almost overflowing.

Emma JC

noodley-soup.jpg

I put this up a while ago

here is my recipe as simply as possible:

Noodley Soy Curl Veggie Soup

water in the pot starting to warm - stir in whatever base you like, my preference is a heaping tablespoon of gochujang and a large teaspoon of white miso - once that is well stirred in and broken down then I add the veggies - approx 10 baby brussel sprouts (frozen), a large handful of frozen green & yellow beans and carrots (frozen) and some Thai Style frozen veggies, then I sprinkle some garlic powder on top, then add a handful of soy curls and either a handful of fresh arugula (or other greens) or frozen kale - once it starts boiling then I add in the noodles

once it is cooked I then add, gourmet rice vinegar, tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice, dry Keene's mustard (to bring out the goodness in the brussel sprouts), tumeric/pepper, oelek hot sauce and top with drizzled tahini

that's about it - other base alternatives would include: just miso, any stock (Better than Bouillon: veggie or roasted garlic or no beef or no chicken)

I make a very large pasta bowl full, piled high and almost overflowing.

Emma JC

View attachment 28781
This I have to try.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Soup is a course of a meal, not a drink. As a result, irrespective of the method of consumption and irrespective of the consistency of the soup it is correct English to refer to soup being eaten, not drunk.

That is the strict linguistic rule, but of course language evolves and so if someone talks about drinking soup and everyone else understands what they mean then communication has been effective (which is the first requirement for use of language). I know what the rules are, but I can't say I get hung up about them at all.