DIY Fruit and Veggie Wash

Probably a dumb question, but does this work well for leafy greens too? All our greens are coming from the garden and I soak them in a big bowl of cold water before washing them because they often have dirt on them. Wondering if adding vinegar would help some?

Hmm... I don't know. I think this is mainly used to remove any waxy residue and bacteria. It couldn't hurt to try,though. I always add a tablespoon each of sugar and vinegar to my greens when they're cooking anyway.

Ah.. Good to know. Thanks,shyvas.

Sally - vinegar is one of those wonder products that are not only natural but inexpensive.
Mix part white vinegar, part soda/club/fizzy water to remove stains on carpets, bedding etc. Excellent for removing limescale and as a general disenfectant for floor tiles.

Sally - vinegar is one of those wonder products that are not only natural but inexpensive.
Mix part white vinegar, part soda/club/fizzy water to remove stains on carpets, bedding etc. Excellent for removing limescale and as a general disenfectant for floor tiles.

Read something about this not long ago. I remember my grandma using vinegar to clean with. Looks like granny was a smart gal!

Yay, thanks for the information!

I do use vinegar with baking soda to clear slow drains. I mix the baking soda with water so it's a thick but pourable paste and pour it into the drain and let it sit for a couple of minutes to give it time to run down some. Then I slowly pour in a bit of vinegar and let it sit for a second then add more slowly so it does that crazy foaming volcano thing in the sink and down the drain. It works really well. When we moved in our bathroom drain kept getting draining really slow and my husband just went and bought drain cleaner. I don't like using harsh chemicals so I wasn't thrilled about it. I started trying the baking soda/vinegar thing and it worked better than the drain cleaner and it hasn't come back.

Yeah, I doubt it would work for a complete blockage or something but for slow or almost stopped up drains that's from stuff just building up over time it's worked for me so far. It even breaks up the gunk right under the stopper thing in the sink hole because of the foaming up into the sink.

Reactions: sallyomally