Dissertation Help Needed

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Hi everyone, I am a third year Sports and Nutrition for Health student at Liverpool John Moores University in Liverpool looking to get some general insight into the lifestyle of dietary vegans. For my dissertation, I am doing 'A comparative study into the relationship between self-reported levels of health consciousness and health behaviours in samples of dietary vegans and omnivores'. Your help would be greatly appreciated with the short survey only taking 10 minutes to complete. Link will be below.

Ethical Apporval Number: 20/SPS_Marsh/ NU/005

Link Below....

A comparative study into the relationship between self-reported levels of health consciousness and health behaviours in samples of dietary vegans and omnivores

😄

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Dietary vegans?
I probably should just let this go... but... well, this is college level stuff and you ought to get your terminology right.
Now its true that you see in articles in magazines the words dietary and ethical vegans but we don't expect the reporters to have college degrees in nutrition. I don't ever really expect nutritionists to have a good background on veganism. but if you are working on a dissertation - I hold you to a higher level.

Ethical vegan is redundant. like calling a body a dead corpse. the definition of corpse requires it to be dead.
the definition of vegan includes/requires ethics.

a "dietary vegan" is a strict vegetarian. You can say that a vegan has a strict vegetarian diet. but you can't say a strict vegetarian is (necessarily) a vegan.

I also don't like the word omnivores. Yes it is a convenient label for people who have no restrictions in their diets. and it less insulting sounding than meat eaters. but again its not a good word choice. All humans are omnivores. Its a biological thing. Vegans CAN eat meat. they just choose not to. They are still omnivores.

Dr Melanie Joy, (in her dissertation) coined the word carnist. that would be someone who thinks its ok to eat meat and opposed to a vegan who doesn't think its ok to eat meat. It's not biological. It's philosophical.

So take out the word "dietary" and just say vegans or use the words " strict vegetarian diet". I would use the word "carnist" and reference Dr. Joy. Probably worth a few bonus points. or just say "everyone else".

:)

Reactions: Andy_T and 1956
Hi everyone, I am a third year Sports and Nutrition for Health student at Liverpool John Moores University in Liverpool looking to get some general insight into the lifestyle of dietary vegans. For my dissertation, I am doing 'A comparative study into the relationship between self-reported levels of health consciousness and health behaviours in samples of dietary vegans and omnivores'. Your help would be greatly appreciated with the short survey only taking 10 minutes to complete. Link will be below.

Link Below....

A comparative study into the relationship between self-reported levels of health consciousness and health behaviours in samples of dietary vegans and omnivores

😄
I was just going through your survey- when you say yoghurt, cheese, ice cream can that mean the vegan versions? I'm guessing all the meat questions are refering to just regular meat?

Last edited:
A vegans diet is only about avoiding animal products--saying you're vegan is much the same as saying you're an omnivore,it isn't saying WHAT you eat, only catagories of food

You should make a distinction between whole food plant based diets, which shun processed foods, or those with oils and sugar, plant based-which is a more moderate wfpb, and vegan that includes processed foods (of course many vegans eat wfpb)

You can eat a vegan diet thats Beyond Burgers, fries, pop, cookies, cakes, all manner of junk foods, and have the same health as an omnivore who simple watches what they eat.
On the flip side, you can be a vegan that follows a wfpb diet, and has a tremendously positive affect on health.

Not all the documentaries about plant based health- they pretty much exclude using the term "vegan diet", as the good results come from whole plant foods

Again----a vegans diet is about what isn't eaten, not what is eaten. There is no implication of healthy or whole foods

A whole food plant based diet is all about whole, natural foods. This is by default a diet that is vegan.

To simply ask vegans whether they've improved their health is as dishonest as asking randomly chosen omnivore about how their diet impacts their health

I'll tell you from my experience throughout the years, that following a wfpb diet has rid me of arthritic swelling and all inflammatory pain.
Eating vegan processed foods, junky snack foods, bakery, oils, I still get inflammation
This is true of all health related issues. Eating whole foods, or very minimally processed food, will make a tremendous difference in your health, and there are tons of research on these plant based diets

Vegan is an ethical stance

Link Below....

😄
I clicked...I get a page that says your study but ....no quiz or survey.