Diet Trends and Masculinity

Andrew_G

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Hello, my name is Andrew Gilley and I am a current undergrad at Vanguard University. My research partner, Agustin Rojas, and I are conducting a study for our senior project to determine whether the stigma that men who don't eat meat are inherently less masculine compared to men who do eat meat. Since we have found little research that discuss whether or not this statement is true, we wish to gather data (via survey) to whether or not this is true.

This survey is completely anonymous

Attached is the link to our survey
https://forms.gle/VmXKsubCBk1u2AsVA

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask here or contact Agustin Rojas at agustin.rojas@vanguard.edu or myself at andrew.gilley@vanguard.edu
Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you are able to take this survey. If you are able to SHARE this with other people, it would be extremely appreciated!
Thanks,
Andrew Gilley & Agustin Rojas

In The Vegan Studies Project Laura Wright talks about this in Chapter 1 and later in the chapter on "Hegan" identity. It's an interesting book on many levels but as an Ecofeminist who teaches critical gender studies she talks about how vegan women are assumed to be sex objects, anorectics, and terrible mothers who kill their children and how men are either gay or feminine, or that they're over-compensating, like images of vegan body builders. Etc.

I'm not going to take your study because I actually prefer androgynous or less overtly masculine men, and I don't necessarily think extreme masculinity is a good thing, though at the same time am a huge Vegan Gains fan because I relate to his intellectual blunt anger, but don't necessarily follow him as a weight lifter dude. I also like Brian what's his name. He's also a lifter/body builder type with more intellectual content. He's "nicer" tho. I think Mic the Vegan and Chris from the Vegan Zombie are both masculine without being obnoxiously over-masculine, but I've seen people call them feminine. I don't even want this debate.

I took your survey. A fair percentage of the questions seem to focus on worldly success as a measure of masculinity. Ambitious persons who crave material wealth, recognition and so forth are not defined by gender, but by something else. In past times, women would often seek it THROUGH a man, though not always, though this has changed in more recent years. I hope if you post the results of the survey you include all the questions so people can see by inference what the survey's biases were to begin with.

Gender identity is a cultural construct. That's the whole point. The idea that meat eaters are better mothers or that men who eat tofu are less virile are ludicrous assumptions not based in fact.

Asian ideas about masculinity might include small statured but calm, rational men, while American ideas are big dudes with bad attitudes.

Yoga in India is assumed for men and so is veganism. In the US women are vegan yoga instructors.

In some cultures it's masculine to grieve publicly like in Mexico or Iran. In the United States and England it makes you a sissy.

Asian women are perceived to be hyper feminine although white women are the world wide commercial standard.

In the early days of America, cowboys saw Native American men as being feminine for living with nature instead of trying to control it, but Native American men saw European cowboys as being feminine for being relatively small statured but also for practicing agriculture. In many tribes women cultivated various native plants, so white men growing crops and enslaving animals was seen as desperately feminine.

Done!

I suspect masculinity was defined in the most disgusting way for this study. I thought it was very regressive.
I know men who look feminine but act as chauvinistic assh*les are very appreciated; and although I don’t like most advertisements for Parisian perfume, maybe it would be better to define masculinity that way. Sorry, I'm kidding (sniggering).

Here is my vision of masculinity m*ther f*ckers:

Last edited: