Aha, it was (still is) called "ryibiy zhir" ("fish fat"),- i was given it too when i was little, because ALL parents were compelled (by so-called therapists), that kids need these fish fat capsules to get Omega fatty acids and other vitamins. As a soviet kid, you simply couldn't avoid it. But it wasn't always like that,- it had been worse. In the 60th, it (fish fat) was in a liquid form only. E.g. my dad had to swallow this gruesome liquid as it is. Bleh...:hurl: Luckily, i avoided that fate: in the 80th, capsules appeared and i had to devour those capsules. But i hated them anyway, because their taste was still impressively repulsive, even from the outside (plus they were stinky). It was nauseating.:yuck:

It was given to children to prevent rickets. Nowadays, it is given in the form of liquid drops:

• Informative
Reactions: Val
Did you know that Apple Pie was invented in England.

Apple Pie Originated in England.
So where was apple pie invented? The first written apple pie recipe goes back to 1381 in England. It was printed
by Geoffrey Chaucer and included apples, figs, raisins, pears and a pastry shell (but no sugar).

Yeah, it was common during the war and after the war (among poor social classes). We call it "rakheet". This is the one in russian.
Our former kitty Lucy (Lucy N1) had had rickets because of malnutrition before she met us, but then we started feeding her properly, and her skeleton improved and healed completely.:cat:

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Almonds are seeds, not nuts. According to Plant Information Center, nuts are "a one-seeded,
dry, indehiscent fruit with a hard pericarp, usually derived from a one-loculed ovary" but an almond is actually a "drupe.”

The Plant Information Center defines a drupe as "a fleshy fruit with a stony endocarp."

Aha, it was written in our local news yesterday. An interesting story! Perhaps, the one who picked it up (when she lost it), passed it to his/her younger generations, and someone of those grandkids moved to Finland (because tourists usually don't crawl around in wild woods)...

True but what were the chances of finding it whilst she was still alive ? I wish that I could find some of the jewellery that I have lost over the years. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
The Mousetrap at 60: why is this the world's longest-running play?

The play is a curious mixture of 1950s drawing-room comedy and murder mystery. The key, says Watt-Smith,
is not to send it up. "You have to concentrate on the reality of the situation. Everyone is trapped in this guesthouse – they have no
means of contacting the outside world, and the murderer is among them. No one is quite what they seem. They all have secrets.
You have to encourage the characters to play the real backstory and then cover it up, which is a challenge.”

The Mousetrap at 60: why is this the world's longest-running play?

I've seen this play when I was visiting Vancouver Island. The audience has to take a pledge at the end of the play, not to reveal the identity
of the murderer :p

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Aha, it was (still is) called "ryibiy zhir" ("fish fat"),- i was given it too when i was little, because ALL parents were compelled (by so-called therapists), that kids need these fish fat capsules to get Omega fatty acids and other vitamins. As a soviet kid, you simply couldn't avoid it. But it wasn't always like that,- it had been worse. In the 60th, it (fish fat) was in a liquid form only. E.g. my dad had to swallow this gruesome liquid as it is. Bleh...:hurl: Luckily, i avoided that fate: in the 80th, capsules appeared and i had to devour those capsules. But i hated them anyway, because their taste was still impressively repulsive, even from the outside (plus they were stinky). It was nauseating.:yuck:

When I was a kid, my friend convinced me to swallow one of those capsules. Afterwards she said to me that those were actually dinosaur eggs and that they will grow in my tummy. I thought that she was being serious.

Did you know that despite of river otters (lutra lutra) being mainly solitary animals, females can have up to 6 friends that they are loosely in contact with?

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
When I was a kid, my friend convinced me to swallow one of those capsules. Afterwards she said to me that those were actually dinosaur eggs and that they will grow in my tummy. I thought that she was being serious.

Did you know that despite of river otters (lutra lutra) being mainly solitary animals, females can have up to 6 friends that they are loosely in contact with?

No, I didn't know that.

Did you know that Scotland has over 790 islands, most of which are to be found in several distinct main groups.

The Islands of Scotland and Top Scottish Island Destinations – Scotland Info Guide

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Did you know that children of identical twins are genetically siblings, not cousins?

Cousins whose parents are identical twins share 25 percent of their DNA, instead of the usual 12.5 percent. While full-siblings share 50 percent of their DNA, half-siblings share 25 percent. That's why, though children of identical twins are legally cousins, they are genetically the equivalent of half-siblings.

Bestlifeonline.com

Did you know that the world's most remote island is Tristan da Cunha?

1612776274846.png

Tristan da Cunha, Saint Helena

The world's most remote populated island, Tristan da Cunha sits in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. 1,750 miles from Cape Town, Edinburgh of the Seven Seas, the only settlement on the island, is home to less than 300 permanent residents.

The island is Covid free

1612779380478.png

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Did you know that tea was the most consumed beverage in the world?

''This perfect blend of mesmerising aroma with refreshing taste is consumed the most worldwide. Tea is preferred more than any other beverage across the globe. This shouldn’t come as any surprise as almost everyone on earth has consumed this drink at least once. It can be a bit bitter, nutty, and sweet.''

• Wow
Reactions: KLS52