Deutschland (Germany)

Solid, robot cars like Audi and BMW and motorways that have no speed limits

Having lived for more than 10 years in Stuttgart, I take personal offence by your deliberate omission of Mercedes and Porsche, which are clearly far better cars than Audi.

As far as the motorways are concerned, indeed, there is no nation-wide speed limit. However, the local administrations have been quite busy with plastering their "120 km/h" speed limit signs on every motorway that deserves the name, so there are only a few places left where you truly can test the limits of your car (German or otherwise) and your driving skills.

I agree, Germany is a very nice country, and a great place to live, but I would need to know more about the mechanics of that ranking to know why Germany is determine to be "the best country". Politically, it does not seem to be at the moment. To be honest, I am looking jealously at the UK with Jeremy Corbyn and the US with Bernie Sanders, as such an alternative seems to be clearly missing in Germany.

It is, however, a nice place for vegans with easy access to vegan food, although in many mainstream restaurants, you might still be limited to the salad.

I think that a lot of Alsatians ( people from Alsace) visit Germany.

While that might be the case, I guess most of them are not truly sorry that Alsace-Lorraine (or Elsass-Lothringen in its German denomination) ended up with France after having been contested between Germany and France (and switching from one to the other and back) for a few centuries.

Can't see the video as I am at work, but this was something noteworthy that happened earlier this week:

Police calm hipster frenzy at Berlin vegan restaurant

A duo of hipsters (can't call them otherwise) who are obviously quite famous as fashion bloggers opened a vegan restaurant, and there were about 500 people queuing up on the sidewalk (on top of the 300 already crammed into the restaurant) waiting to get in on opening day, creating a traffic obstruction. Police had to come and disperse the crowd.

Reactions: Second Summer
Lol as long as the hipsters are vegan, I have no problem with their questionable fashion choices and insistence on going back to vinyl records, eyeglasses, and one speed bicycles. I think they are adorable tbh. :D

Secular state must monitor mosques, says Kauder | News | DW.COM | 29.04.2016
Secular state must monitor mosques, says Kauder
Mosques in Germany should be placed under state supervision, according to a leading conservative parliamentarian. Volker Kauder distanced himself, however, from a Bavarian call that imams speak German.
Sermons delivered in some mosques in Germany did not conform with Germany's secular state precepts, said Kauder who heads the conservatives' parliamentary group in Germany's lower house of parliament, the Bundestag.

Germany was constituted as a secular state in which religion did not stand above the state, but rather the state over religion, Kauder told the Berliner Zeitung newspaper on Friday.

All must comply with this precept, said Kauder, while claiming that in some mosques within Germany sermons were given that did not conform with the modern understanding of statehood.

"There is a need for the state to act," Kauder said. "There must be supervision."

Kauder belongs to Chancellor Angerla Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU). In parliament he heads a group comprising members of the CDU and the Christian Social Union (CSU) party based in Bavaria.
(Germany's FBI - BfV are probably already monitoring certain muslims)

That is the typical gesturing by right-centrist and Christian politicians From Ms. Merkel's coalition to be perceived as more anti-islamic than the new right-wing parties that have been successful in exploiting sentiment against refugees in Germany...

Well, there are a number of people arguing that there are laws in place that specifically do not allow monitoring all churches (or mosques or other kinds of citizens and institutions) unless there is a suspicion of illegal activity there. As it is, there are some mosques and cultural organizations that are being monitored by the police and the Bundesnachrichtendienst (the German spy organization), as there are valid suspicions of illegal activities.

Other people simply point out that that the BND does not have enough people right now to observe those who are known as dangerous potential terrorists. So, calling for a general supervision of all mosques in Germany is quite simply empty posturing with the hope of being perceived as critical of islam.

Robert, that is very likely, and the reason why those groups are currently being supervised.

However, what Mr. Kauder is asking for, is to supervise ALL mosques, because in the past, some mosques likely were used for extremist and terrorist activity.

And, quite frankly, while I definitely do not think it is good if an imam, or a preacher stands on his pulpit and demands that the government should be replaced with a theocracy, this is definitely not forbidden.

Well, maybe once Mr. Trump gets elected and unless the preacher is a Christian preacher, of course....

Indeed ... he is basically Ms. Merkels right-wing whip.

The conservative party in Germany is actually a coalition of two parties, the CDU (conservative) and the CSU (Catholic and VERY conservative). While Ms. Merkel is from CDU and was the chairperson of the coalition until 2005, Mr. Kauder, who succeeded her in that function, is from the CSU.

CDU/CSU - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So his main function is to appeal to those potential voters who stand "to the right" of Ms. Merkel, and it seems that this is seen as more and more important right now for the fight of the coalition against the new parties that have emerged on the right side of the political spectrum in Germany.

... but, as they were staunch Anti-communists, they were viewed benevolently and supported whole-heartedly by the powers of freedom and democracy ;-)