Denmark to cull its mink population

Denmark is one of the biggest countries with fur farms, and if I don't remember very wrong, have one of Europe's biggest auction houses there. To be honest, I think they won't close the farm for good after this, but starting up again with it after the Covid has ended. I hope I will be wrong on this...

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
This just in

The AP reported that 3 days ago 216 mink farms were infected and 12 people were known to be infected with the mutated virus.

But I'm seeing contradictory news.

7 nations have reported that they have identified the newly mutated virus in people. I'm assuming these are people returning from Denmark.

"Denmark’s first registered coronavirus infection from a mink to a person was back in June. Since then, at least 214 people have been infected by five different strains of the virus.

Latest news on Norway is that they are still going to be killed, but that things don't go very well always, with some disturbing videos.

Denmark have 1100 mink farms btw...

• Angry
Reactions: shyvas
Latest update we got now is that the government are not allowed to demand all killed by the law, but they recommend it.

No mink are saved. Sorry, but that a very, very wrong illution of how fur farms work. No one get rehomed, no one get a happy life etc. They just get killed later instead of now. They just need to suffer a bit longer...

So perhaps we get a new, cool corona virus too now.

And tbh, Denmark (and other counties with fur farms and mutated corona) lost their right to complain on wet markeds in China now.

• Agree
  • Angry
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
Latest update we got now is that the government are not allowed to demand all killed by the law, but they recommend it.

No mink are saved. Sorry, but that a very, very wrong illution of how fur farms work. No one get rehomed, no one get a happy life etc. They just get killed later instead of now. They just need to suffer a bit longer...

So perhaps we get a new, cool corona virus too now.

And tbh, Denmark (and other counties with fur farms and mutated corona) lost their right to complain on wet markeds in China now.

Apparently it is China that buys the fur of these poor minks.
It's so difficult to comprehend as faux fur is just as soft and elegant as real fur. Why do so many people still accept that an animals suffers
because they want to own a mink fur coat? :mad:

Apparently it is China that buys the fur of these poor minks.
It's so difficult to comprehend as faux fur is just as soft and elegant as real fur. Why do so many people still accept that an animals suffers
because they want to own a mink fur coat? :mad:

It is. And in China fur are very often used as bribing too. So it's not the common man that uses it... I don't remember the numbers now but I think at least half of the Norwegian furs ends up in China too.

Interesting fact is that the fur farms in China looks identical to the European. But since labour is cheap, more people to take care of the animals. And they can't loose so many animals as we do, because they are not rich... So you can even say the farms there are a bit better (if you compare hell to a even worse hell of cause...)

• Angry
Not sure what "related" means in this article.

In addition to the dozen people in the Nordic country already infected with the mutated strain of the virus, about half of the 783 human COVID-19 cases in northern Denmark are “related” to mink, Health Minister Magnus Heunicke has said.​

Last summer I listened to a podcast that was a deep dive into the 1918 pandemic. Since it was a podcast not only can't I quote some lines but I can't even check my facts. I'm not even sure which podcast it was, but my best guess it is the one I posted below.

Some scientists dug up the corpses of people who died in Alaska. I guess the permafrost keeps them better preserved. They were able to determine the genetic code of the virus. There was one sequence that they were interested in and ... if I remember this right... that sequence is found in Influenza A, swine flu, and avian flu. Not sure about SARS and MERS. But the point being is that the Spanish Flu is still with us - it just has mutated and combined with other genetic material.

It no great leap of imagination to expect the same thing can happen with COVID19. The scientists are worried about how this "mink" version may affect the vaccine. They are correct to do so. Influenza A keeps mutating and we keep having to make new vaccines for it.

This mink thing reminds me of what happened with swine flu and avian flu. I think keeping thousands of animals in close quarters is an important step in creating new viruses. So it might be minks now but chickens or pigs next year.

Being that this is from a history podcast it might be worth noting here that those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. Here is hoping we don't make the same mistakes.

along the lines of the Crazy Thought thread - The coronavirus might be the best thing that ever happened for Abolitionist Veganism. Can't hurricanes have silver linings? Although I'm not sure who to root for or what to hope for.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
New disturbing news from Denmark. Hundred of dead mink fell off a truck and were scattered in the road. They are also using mass graves since they can't keep up with the cremation. Wonder if it is possible the mutated virus can somehow get transfered from those...

Newest update on this. Denmark has now votet for a law that makes it legal to demand the mink to be killed. So I guess they will start up again soon then, to demand it.

This article seems to have a lot more info. Some of it doesn't quite jive with earlier reports.

Oregon also has mink farms and the state legislature is presently discussing buying all the minks and having them destroyed - just in case.

I think that C19 has highlighted the problem of animals still being kept in appalling 'farms' or prisons for their fur.
Many people thought that this cruelty in the name of fashion was long over.

The latest beauty trend is having eyelashes implanted using mink fur ! :cold_sweat: Moreover, I think that they look horrible.

Norwegian news report there is a farm with bird flu in Denmark too now. So the 25.000 hens living there are going to be killed.

• Informative
  • Angry
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
So more Mink News from the Guardian.

Seven countries are now reporting mink-related Sars-CoV-2 mutations in humans, according to new scientific analysis.​
.... Denmark...to launch a nationwide cull earlier this month.​
....research .... which showed that a mink variant called C5 was harder for antibodies to neutralise and posed a potential threat to vaccine efficacy.​
Despite a political backlash the cull has continued, and farmers have until midnight on Thursday to cull all mink in the country.​
Denmark has more minks than people.

• Sad