Debenhams

Sally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We went into Debenhams restaurant today. My husband had a breakfast. I asked for baked beans on dry toast, there was nothing else remotely vegan, and was told that because the till did not have the capacity to charge me for it I could not have it. So I ordered nothing. My husband was given a slice of toast with a wrapped pat of butter on it on a separate plate, so I got a knife and fork and had the dry toast with some of his beans on it. They did have soy milk though. :confused:

It gets worse. We didn't realise at first that the young girl on the till had charged us for two breakfasts, and she got really nasty straight away when I asked for my money back for the breakfast we didn't have, like it was my fault. At least they were not just vegan unfriendly.

That's awful, as I read it I thought you were going to say they hadn't charged you for it. I wouldn't be going back there in a hurry!

I am so sorry that happened to you. These large stores have so much capacity for change and the chance to increase their profits by promoting 'inclusion'. A lot of the time it can be ignorance on their part. I urge you to write an email to their head office, make them aware of the situation and how they can remedy this. Allow them to (hopefully) apologise and maybe send you a small gesture as a way to make amends. I never use Debenhams own café as my local store now has a Costa Coffee in it!! :eek:)

Oh no, Costa Coffee are the bane of my life. The smell of stale coffee gives me a migraine and living on the Isle of Wight Wightlink have Costa Coffee at their terminals so you have to go through the cafe to get onto the fastcat. So whenever we go to the mainland I start the day feeling ill. Then everywhere you go there is this awful smell coming at you in book shops and just walking down the street. I have complained, but to be honest, nobody cares.