Day 6

PoppyBlue

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello. My family and I are 6 days in. The kids are doing great because they're young (17 & 19) and their energy has increased. I guess I'm going a little slower. I definitely felt less bloated right away which is really nice and Ive noticed less mucus in my sinuses. Now I'm waiting on the energy I hear everyone talk about. I get enough sleep but took a 2 hour nap yesterday and easily went to bed at my usual time. I know I need to be patient 😐
We're all very excited and no one is interested in going back to meat or dairy. I know we'll be eating some of the vegan "junk food" until I relearn how to cook 🤣

So anyway, hi! I look forward to learning from you all.

Welcome! Glad to have you! Im sure more knowledgeable members will be here shortly to encourage you with medical and science based info i can never remember. Im just here to say hi and good for you for giving it a go!

Thanks guys :)

@Sax My husband and I watched The Game Changers which was recommended by our oldest daughter. Then we explained it to our youngest daughter and her BF who were also interested so we all watched 'What the Health' and unanimously decided we were never ingesting another animal product again. My son (the 17 year old) is autistic and just does what we do. He is a little worried about some of his favorite snacks but I promised I would find an awesome recipe for vegan cookies & just like that he was fine with it.
My husband and oldest daughter are truck drivers and find it a little more challenging due to a lack of options at stops. Which I find funny because they both haul fresh vegetables :heart: but I pack them up with greens, fruits, nuts, seeds, tofu and vitamins and send the off with a mason jar sized green drink and both are doing great.

That's really cool!

Yeah truck stops can be challenging to find any satisfying options at. Probably best to come prepared with real food from home but there's always something available...canned beans/chili (mini can openers are handy), fig bars (some have egg/milk tho), trail mix etc. I've done some trips where I'm mostly eating out of convenience stores for a few days, not my favorite but it's doable.

Yeah its tough. Theyre starting to carry some fruit so its a start. Maybe if more ppl ask they will stock more options (fingers crossed).We like Lara bars. Not sure how they stack health wise but they are vegan so theyre good for now, haha. Trail mix is a good idea so thx for that!

Yeah its tough. Theyre starting to carry some fruit so its a start. Maybe if more ppl ask they will stock more options (fingers crossed).We like Lara bars. Not sure how they stack health wise but they are vegan so theyre good for now, haha. Trail mix is a good idea so thx for that!

Welcome aboard.

LaraBars are pretty good. They aren't exactly "healthy" food. But they certainly aren't bad for you. One of the things I like about them is the shortlist of ingredients. I think its the Cashew Cookie that only has two ingredients: Cashews and dates.

Packing your lunch and snacks is always the healthiest and least expensive option.

But there have been several articles and YouTube videos that are pretty much vegan truck stop (or convenience store or 7-11 challenges. Not a lot of great choice but a surprisingly large number of options.

-https://www.peta.org/living/food/vegan-7-eleven-products-foods/

-https://vegnews.com/2018/7/25-accidentally-vegan-snacks-that-you-can-find-at-a-convenience-store

- https://cleangreensimple.com/article/vegan-snacks/

I think it's safe to say LaraBars are pretty high up on the healthy scale. For a while I was eating 1-2 of them a day. I think I may have burnt myself out of them a little, so I've recent shifted to just eating nuts and dates instead. But I still pick some up when I can get them on sale cuz they're so handy. My local grocery store consistently has them 10 for $1.00 $10.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoppyBlue and KLS52
welcome Poppy!! and congrats for taking control of your health and the health of your family

I can't wait to have updates from you on how everyone is doing and how you solve the issues of trucking and eating.

Please do keep notes as it is valuable information and will be helpful to others wishing to do the same!

Emma JC

Reactions: PoppyBlue and Lou
welcome Poppy!! and congrats for taking control of your health and the health of your family

I can't wait to have updates from you on how everyone is doing and how you solve the issues of trucking and eating.

Please do keep notes as it is valuable information and will be helpful to others wishing to do the same!

Emma JC
Haha! I know "Poppy" from VV and wondered how I missed knowing this about her!

Welcome @PoppyBlue!

This is fantastic! Congratulations to all of you! I am astonished, and frankly proud of your whole family for making that decision without the typical resistance. Stick with it and good luck! :D

This is fantastic! Congratulations to all of you! I am astonished, and frankly proud of your whole family for making that decision without the typical resistance. Stick with it and good luck! :D

Ty:) It really wasn't hard because we are so sick and tired of being sick and tired! Even my 19 year old was suffering and shes...19!! I wasn't even that fatigued and miserable at her age so it tells me things have gotten much worse in the food industry since I was younger 😞