Vegan Crispy Tofu!

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
I was watching the Hairy Bikers in Japan this week and I learned how to cook tofu so that the edges are crispy. I've often seen tofy cooked this way in restaurants but never been able to replicate it - just frying it doesn't have the same affect. But now I've learnt (and tried it) and it's super simple:

Ingredients:
  • Tofu, prepared however you like (marinated/etc)
  • Rice Flour
  • Oil for frying
Instructions:
  • Prepare your tofu, however you like
  • Coat your tofu in rice flour on all sides
  • Fry it!
The tofu will be wonderfully crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. :)

I use cornstarch. I will have to try the rice flour.

I thought that cornflour (cornstarch) would probably work just as well, but I haven't tried both to compare. :)

One thing that doesn't work well is potato starch. Yuck! I forget where I read to use that, so I bought some. Guess I'll have to google some ideas to see if I can use it up.

I found that before frying, if I soak the slices in salt water for around 15 minutes, then rinse in fresh water and pat dry, I get crispy tofu. I fry in a little oil in a very hot pan (cast iron is best) and I don't coat the tofu with anything.

You can also just sprinkle salt on the slices and let it sit for a minute before frying - but I don't like doing this as I get too strong a salt taste. As I usually eat mine with a little soy sauce sprinkled on I don't want anymore salt than necessary.

I'll have to try the rice flour though as then I won't have any salt.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots