Covid Vaccine-Do You Believe the Scientists?

To the people who support the leader. The people who don't are free to setout on their own, if they dislike the leader.
Understood. But, what if the leaders' non-supporters don't want to leave? After all, they've already invested their time and energy into the land, its agriculture, and its buildings.

Understood. But, what if the leaders' non-supporters don't want to leave? After all, they've already invested their time and energy into the land, its agriculture, and its buildings.
I suppose they could have an election. sometimes an election is the only way to solve things.

I suppose they could have an election. sometimes an election is the only way to solve things.
That's a possible solution.

But, what happens if 60% of the people vote for the existing leader, and 40% of the people vote for a different leader - someone whom they find more encouraging, knowledgeable, and inspiring? The land and its resources are shared by the entire village, and decisions need to be made regarding their use. If the 60% and 40% prefer very different decisions about their common resources, then what should be done?

That's a possible solution.

But, what happens if 60% of the people vote for the existing leader, and 40% of the people vote for a different leader - someone whom they find more encouraging, knowledgeable, and inspiring? The land and its resources are shared by the entire village, and decisions need to be made regarding their use. If the 60% and 40% prefer very different decisions about their common resources, then what should be done?
I suppose the most rational solution would be to meet halfway whenever possible, if that can't be done then we should have an election, but still make an effort to fulfill the needs of both sides as much as possible.

I suppose the most rational solution would be to meet halfway whenever possible, if that can't be done then we should have an election, but still make an effort to fulfill the needs of both sides as much as possible.
That's exactly what democracy tries to do, or should.

Anyone else getting some serious Lord of the Flies vibes :|

There have always been, and always will be, people who will use and abuse their power, and they're most often those who start out as respected leaders.
The very personality traits that many leaders have are often combined with others of power--like greed, narcissism, control and lying.
I would like to see a more direct democracy
Sounds like you'd be happier in a commune.

Reactions: KLS52
I would like to see a more direct democracy.

I don't like the idea of a fully direct democracy. Most legislative issues are more complicated than I care to delve into enough to have a worthwhile opinion on.

But I would like to see something closer to majority rule in the US. Our founders had some good reasons (as well as bad) to buffer against majority rule but things have gone a little too far in the minority rule direction.

I also like the idea of direct voting on certain issues, just like our states have initiatives. I don't know what the criteria for that should be but some issues are straightforward enough. And politicians' votes are too often a result of political calculations.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou