US Controversy over canceled sex talk at hacker convention

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that you're doing your best to not escalate the situation.
I'll refer you to the post I just wrote above, and ask you what you think this comment was supposed to do in terms of not escalating the situation?

I do think it is kind of weird to go to a forum of somebody who isnt even vegetarian and runs a forum just to insult vegetarians they used to know in 2005.

But that is just my opinion. Perhaps I am missing something. I remember people dissing me online as early as 2002 or 2004. Perhaps I could go and find them online and get my revenge somehow. I will say "Yes, it has been 11 years, and YOU STILL DONT THINK I REMEMBER YOU? Well I do and ..."

No, actually it does seem kind of odd, best to move on, idk.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I don't expect to be liked by everyone. I do expect every member here to show equal respect for all other members. I'd expect that whether I was a mod or not. Anyone who takes what gets discussed here to a hostile forum for the selfish and sick purpose of ridiculing it doesn't deserve respect, and anyone who tries to defend that behavior doesn't deserve it either. I'd be of the exact same opinion if someone was doing that to you, and I'd say the same things in defense of you as I am saying in defense of myself, and the other people who have been treated to this by das_nut. It's your loss if you can't see that.

Eh then you see why I'll call you on your aggression even if it isn't actually directed at me?

You know something Yally? It's ok for you to get on your high horse and sit in judgement of me, since you're apparently one of the chosen ones. Meanwhile I'm sitting here feeling very relieved that I never post anything of a deeply personal and serious nature in any of our "private" sections. I have no doubt I'm not the only one who feels this way.

What you don't seem to either be aware of, or care about, is what people like das_nut do to damage a community like this. People like das_nut and Tame do not have friends. Everyone is fodder for their malicious entertainment. You may think you have nothing to worry about, but you need to think again, if you really believe you won't ever have your own posts shared elsewhere without your knowledge or permission and subjected to ridicule.

We've already had a situation like this arise in which someone here went to VB and informed on people here, reporting what was posted in one of our private sections, which resulted in some of them getting banned from there, and another person feeling very alienated here. Again, I guess as long as no one's treating you like that, that's ok by you.

It's not ok by me.

It's too bad for you that you find me aggressive. But that's what you read into it because of whatever personality traits you possess. I don't recall having directed more than a handful of posts your way, so I don't really know what I have ever said to you that should give you such a problem with me, but feel free to attack me all you like. I don't report people who attack me. I handle it myself. Don't think for a moment that because I am a mod that I'm gonna get any special treatment. If Indian Summer thinks I'm crossing a line I'll step down immediately. But I am angry, and I'm gonna have my say. Not because it's personal, but because this kind of crap is not good for a community like ours, where we are subject to enough ridicule and attack from non-veg*ns.

I don't expect to be liked by everyone. I do expect every member here to show equal respect for all other members. I'd expect that whether I was a mod or not. Anyone who takes what gets discussed here to a hostile forum for the selfish and sick purpose of ridiculing it doesn't deserve respect, and anyone who tries to defend that behavior doesn't deserve it either. I'd be of the exact same opinion if someone was doing that to you, and I'd say the same things in defense of you as I am saying in defense of myself, and the other people who have been treated to this by das_nut. It's your loss if you can't see that.

I come from 4chan, I'm already used to my posts being ridiculed and laughed at.

Anyway, the thing that I don't like is you degrading to name-calling and rude assumptions. High horses and so perhaps, but I'm not saying that your feelings regarding it aren't valid. Just do it in a way that doesn't cause more drama.

Also, everyone does not react the same to situations like this, so I would say that it's improper to say "well, it's just because it didn't happen to you that you can say that". Is that what they call projection? I forgot so much from psychology class.

Anyway, the thing that I don't like is you degrading to name-calling and rude assumptions. High horses and so perhaps, but I'm not saying that your feelings regarding it aren't valid. Just do it in a way that doesn't cause more drama.

Also, everyone does not react the same to situations like this, so I would say that it's improper to say "well, it's just because it didn't happen to you that you can say that". Is that what they call projection? I forgot so much from psychology class.

I agree PJ could have been more diplomatic.

That being said, her "just because it didn't happen to you" statement is valid, and is not projection. There is a difference between some random jerk, and a systematic troll. Furthermore, it's true that people can understand a situation intellectually, but not be able to identify/connect with it on an emotional level. (e.g. someone who has never been bullied can't really understand what it's like)

In addition, I think it's clear that das-nut's actions are disruptive to VV.

Let's try to start fresh now. We're all on the same side here.

To me, this is a serious problem, akin to myself or any of the other mods who have access to the identities if everyone who posts anonymously here going to another forum where those people are known, and revealing what they say so everyone can have a good laugh.

I pretty much don't care if some people aren't bothered by that. One person being bothered by it is enough for me to consider it problematic and requiring a solution.

As far as I am aware, neither the rules of diplomacy nor my volunteering to be a mod here require that I must tolerate in silence being told numerous times by more than one person that I am ridiculous, ignorant, aggressive, and irrational. I didn't stop being a human being with feelings when I decided to sign on. I don't say what I say for the purposes of increasing drama. I say what I have to say because I think it's better to say it than it is to keep it to myself and let it fester til it makes me want to go somewhere else and ***** about people behind their backs.

Reactions: thefadedone
Anyway, the thing that I don't like is you degrading to name-calling and rude assumptions.

For the record, what has been quoted here about things said on GB is only the mildest of what is said over there. IS, for example, doesn't need to worry about being ignored there - he is called names that derive from the most derogatory slang terms for female genitalia. Tame of course also *insults* him by calling him gay (but using derogatory terms), and das_nut chimes in by referring to Jen as Indian Summer's "beard."

Now that you're a member of GB, you can see for yourself.

For the record, what has been quoted here about things said on GB is only the mildest of what is said over there. IS, for example, doesn't need to worry about being ignored there - he is called names that derive from the most derogatory slang terms for female genitalia. Tame of course also *insults* him by calling him gay (but using derogatory terms), and das_nut chimes in by referring to Jen as Indian Summer's "beard."

****. That's lovely. Nice to know how the people who are here taking advantage of Karl's generosity really feel about him.

WTF? What the hell is wrong with some people?

Dunno. It's getting easy to see why people who condone that think I'm aggressive and rude though. :rolleyes:

It is so confusing. I think that perhaps when people get into adult life they are very stressed and things are hard and many resort to attacking others to let off their own anxieties. So boards like that Grumpy ******* are made.

In fact that is probably the reason why internet trolls exist.

No clue. I tend to feel more stress when things get unpleasant, though that doesn't stop me adding my two cents when something ticks me off.

Same. I had a mild road-rage incident last week.

What you don't seem to either be aware of, or care about, is what people like das_nut do to damage a community like this. People like das_nut and Tame do not have friends. Everyone is fodder for their malicious entertainment. You may think you have nothing to worry about, but you need to think again, if you really believe you won't ever have your own posts shared elsewhere without your knowledge or permission and subjected to ridicule.

We've already had a situation like this arise in which someone here went to VB and informed on people here, reporting what was posted in one of our private sections, which resulted in some of them getting banned from there, and another person feeling very alienated here. Again, I guess as long as no one's treating you like that, that's ok by you.

It's not ok by me.

This is disheartening information to say the least. What drove me away from VB was the prevalence of maliciousness, and how it was so casually handed out on a daily basis. It would be a real ******* shame if that sort of thing went unchecked over here. So, for what it's worth - I'm with you PJ. I admire your passion to fight the good fight.

Moved this off-topic post to another thread. We don't need to drag this bloody discussion into every new thread I post in.

I think you missed my point. See post #23 above for clarification.

Post #23 is someone complaining about being mentioned on another website in an unfavorable way.

I'm thinking it shows a grave lack of understanding about how the world works to assume that I'm the exception, rather than the rule, for mentioning what happens on a public discussion at VV outside of a public discussion at VV.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that many people here have discussed public VV discussions in PMs on VV, as well as discussed VV threads outside of VV - such as on facebook, other forums, or even in real life.

By the way, isn't this the fourth thread that this bloody discussion has come up in? I'm moving this post here, just because I'd rather not drag this discussion into every thread I post in.

This is disheartening information to say the least. What drove me away from VB was the prevalence of maliciousness, and how it was so casually handed out on a daily basis. It would be a real ****ing shame if that sort of thing went unchecked over here. So, for what it's worth - I'm with you PJ. I admire your passion to fight the good fight.
Thank you Dedalus. Your support means a lot to me, as does the support of everyone else who has offered it. :)

Reactions: Dedalus
Moved this off-topic post to another thread. We don't need to drag this bloody discussion into every new thread I post in.

Post #23 is someone complaining about being mentioned on another website in an unfavorable way.

I'm thinking it shows a grave lack of understanding about how the world works to assume that I'm the exception, rather than the rule, for mentioning what happens on a public discussion at VV outside of a public discussion at VV.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that many people here have discussed public VV discussions in PMs on VV, as well as discussed VV threads outside of VV - such as on facebook, other forums, or even in real life.

By the way, isn't this the fourth thread that this bloody discussion has come up in? I'm moving this post here, just because I'd rather not drag this discussion into every thread I post in.
But it is pertinent to every thread you post in, das_nut. You betrayed the trust of people on this board by mocking their thoughts on another board with someone they have known for years. Do you really expect people to feel the same way about you as they did before they found out that you talk crap behind their backs?

Personally, I'm now uncomfortable seeing you pop up in any thread, and I'm suspicious of any new controversial thread begun on these forums. I'm very glad that I never talked in pms or anonymously while under the impression that all the mods here were to be trusted. You betrayed the trust of the board, das_nut. Move threads all you want, that won't go away.

Reactions: Freesia
But it is pertinent to every thread you post in, das_nut. You betrayed the trust of people on this board by mocking their thoughts on another board with someone they have known for years. Do you really expect people to feel the same way about you as they did before they found out that you talk crap behind their backs?

Personally, I'm now uncomfortable seeing you pop up in any thread, and I'm suspicious of any new controversial thread begun on these forums. I'm very glad that I never talked in pms or anonymously while under the impression that all the mods here were to be trusted. You betrayed the trust of the board, das_nut. Move threads all you want, that won't go away.
Oh no, don't worry about us mods. Das_nut isn't one of us. Though I can see how you could confuse him for one, the way he talks about moving posts and trying to control discussions on here. I remember when he tried to tell us we shouldn't discuss birth control in the private women's section. Now that I see what he's been up to, I can only wonder what it is about women discussing birth control that he feels he needs to be a witness to.

Maybe now that he has disrupted our little forum and broken the sense of community and trust around here his pimp daddy will reward him and make him a mod there, if he isn't already.

There's a simple solution to this. Just be honest for once and admit to the full implications of what you've done. And I don't mean what you've said about me.

Reactions: Freesia
Status
Not open for further replies.