Conspiracy theories are dangerous & should not be tolerated.

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
Indian Summer said:
"Basically, no, I don't think making a special forum for conspiracy theories would be helpful. As @TofuRobot just pointed out, who has the right to decide a topic should fall into the CT category? The mods? We're not really experts on that sort of thing, and it would just create more work for us, and probably end up hurting some poor poster's feelings in the process. I also feel like we have more than enough forums already, so I don't particularly want to add another one."

By allowing CT to flourish on here, VF is providing its de-facto support for such theories.

The amount of lies and misinformation on COVID-19 has already slowed down the progress of fighting it, resulting in a lot of needless suffering and death.

Does VF really want to be a part of that?

Unlike the moon landing, flat earth and birther conspiracies, CT on COVID-19 is materially harmful.

Is avoiding "hurting the feelings" of CTer's really wort it?

CTer's at best have psychological issues, and at worst spread such nonsense out of malicious intent. They should not be encouraged, or at least given so much leeway.

Last edited:
What's so annoying is the inability to debate with them
I remembered the videos about 911 conspiracies, and before that the whole y2k thing. I believe Dana Ashlie was involved in both--always warning of how you better listen now as they would be removed as soon as the government caught on--they were not. So much inconsistencies. Such a rabbit hole. Look into what was referenced and find how twisted up they'd been.
And a rationale for all the questions as to why all the horrors they predicted never happened

My biggest question now is what about all the things predicted from the past conspiracies, like this one?

Just the end of the world preachers, it's always the end of the world that is nigh!

the point of these conspiracists seem to be the enjoyment of having fellowship to promote their thinking.
It's like they're not good enough to be writers like Steven King so they internalize their thoughts and believe them instead

It's not like we;re all divided between thinking one extreme or the other. I know no one who absolutely trusts the government to not manipulate the truth, or cover itself. However, I do know those who are whacked enough to need to the complete opposite extreme, where science is rejected over the idea that it's Satan or Lizard people, aliens......

I'd just like them to explain what the hell? What is their goal? Why have they never ever achieved anything from any of their conspiracies?
Just list one that has achieved any good--with factual data

I'd just like them to explain what the hell? What is their goal? Why have they never ever achieved anything from any of their conspiracies?

Just list one that has achieved any good--with factual data

Yep, they always seem to lack a link to reliable scientific evidence, because to them, mainstream sources are all deep staters who are hiding the truth.

One thing they can never explain is specificalky why the government is lying, and what specifically do they have to gain from lying. E.g what would the govt gain from making people believe the world is spherical.

Reactions: Dedalus and silva
Yep, they always seem to lack a link to reliable scientific evidence, because to them, mainstream sources are all deep staters who are hiding the truth.

One thing they can never explain is specificalky why the government is lying, and what specifically do they have to gain from lying. E.g what would the govt gain from making people believe the world is spherical.
Did you change the title-wasn't it 'the world is flat...' or something?
I'd just like answers to why the outcome of all the old theories? There was much horror about what the governments were covering and plotting---yet what of the claims actually ever materialized? Especially after 911!

Oh, sigh. As someone with "psychological problems" perhaps y'all can clear out some of the cobwebs of this rickety old thing I call a brain and answer a simple question for me. @beancounter, @silva, @Mischief, @Lou, @Emma JC , @David3 @Andy_T

Is the following picture:
heic1007e.jpg

a completely unedited and genuine photo from space?

The link comes from here: Hubble captures spectacular “landscape” in the Carina Nebula

It can also be viewed here: Hubble Heritage

I'm going to take a wild stab that these are credible enough links on which to base the question.

A yes or no will do. :)

Last edited:
Conspiracy theories are, unfortunately, a fertile field and very hard to debate.

Keep doing it, neveretheless!

xkcd nasa accomplishment.png

But that is just ONE example of the multitude that is out there ...

conspiracy theory overview.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: silva
..and I just found out Andy_T has me on ignore, lol...

Sorry to disappoint you, @Nekodaiden .
As a member of the mod team I don't have anybody on ignore, otherwise I would possibly be missing important discussions.

Are you suspecting it as I did not answer your earlier question?

TBH, I don't really know whether that picture is "true".

First thing, as far as I understand the Hubble technology, at least a part of it is designated to capture wavelengths which the human eye can not see and make them visible.

Second, as I dabble in digital photography myself now and then, I know that a picture that has not been post-processed typically looks like sh*t.

So no, I don't think that picture is "a true picture", but I fail to understand how that is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Reactions: Lou
Yes, Andy, I so assumed, because I tagged you in that post and you didn't address it.

Thanks for your answer. It wasn't one I was expecting from you, given your icon and some of the opinions you have expressed on the issue of "conspiracies" in general.

Most people assume these images (maybe minus the color addition) are true. It's relevant because, well, I'll get to that when others have responded.

Oh give me a break. Everyone knows that images of space are often color enhanced.

It allows you to see the individual structures of what would otherwise be essentially black and white (if visible at all)

The colors are often based on the chemical composition and/or heat emitted by the structure.

That doesn't mean that they are fake...

But let's play Devil's advocate and assume the picture are a complete fabrication. What or how does the government benefit from showing people phony pictures?

And if there is some grand conspiracy, how have they been able to flawlessly contain/hide the truth for hundreds of years?

Last edited:
Platforms like FB and YouTube definitely have a responsibility to do something about misinformation because of their big impact on society and the way they can amplify fringe ideas.

VeganForum doesn't have that kind of impact and we don't have an issue with algorithm recommendations or viral misinformation spread. The only way misinformation gets amplified here is by responding to it.

I don't push back on CTers because it just starts a cycle of debate which the CTers relish and that is unhealthy for the forum. You're free to think and behave differently, and everyone else should have the same freedom.

If you choose to read and respond and take part in a cycle that makes you unhappy reconsider your choices. If not, consider the possibility that you relish the cycle of debate as much as the CTers.

So far, 2 responses on the photo I linked from those I tagged. Keep in mind that if you are too much of a "little kitty cat" to actually give a yes or no reply (with qualifiers if necessary) and you just use the like/approve button, I'm going to assume the response liked is actually your own.

It's a zero sum game, I have no idea if it is real or not and at the same time find everyone's answer are interesting. I have no stake in whether it is true representation of anything real, it is pretty.... is that relevant to you? I especially love how the stars/planets glitter, ha, you know a pic is real when you see that. geesh

Emma JC

It's a zero sum game, I have no idea if it is real or not and at the same time find everyone's answer are interesting. I have no stake in whether it is true representation of anything real, it is pretty.... is that relevant to you? I especially love how the stars/planets glitter, ha, you know a pic is real when you see that. geesh

Emma JC

C'mon Emma. I like you, but one of the reasons I tagged you is things you have said on CT in general and the use of the like button when the subject came up various times.

I think your noncommittal answer is merely a result of having it brought to your attention and questioned. The picture linked is from what most everyone considers a higher and reliable authority. Have you ever questioned this authority or the photography they have depicted before?

I've never gotten into photography, but I do know to detect BS when it comes to these kinds of games
Not playing

C'mon Emma. I like you, but one of the reasons I tagged you is things you have said on CT in general and the use of the like button when the subject came up various times.

I think your noncommittal answer is merely a result of having it brought to your attention and questioned. The picture linked is from what most everyone considers a higher and reliable authority. Have you ever questioned this authority or the photography they have depicted before?

It isn't noncommittal, I just really don't care. I don't care if you like me, you don't know me, you only know what I say sometimes. Unless something has a direct effect on my life or the life of those I love, I don't care if this authority is lying to me. I don't plan to go out into the universe anytime soon, unless I can master an out of body experience, which trust me, I have tried many times. If I go out there and check it out I will let you know or hopefully take my iphone with me and take my own pic.

There are some things you say that I like and I mark it so, others things I don't like and I either ignore or respond. I am much more into positive, kind, helpful things and try to uplift other's days and not go down into ratholes to see what is living there. This is a rathole so I just don't care to be here.

I wish you all the best and a positive outlook (to the universe or not) for you.

Emma JC

Reactions: Dedalus
I've never gotten into photography, but I do know to detect BS when it comes to these kinds of games
Not playing

Lou and silva are scared to answer a simple and honest question. Still waiting on Mischief and a few others.

Have you ever considered that I might have nothing "up my sleeve"? Or maybe if I did, it wouldn't convince you of anything?

Making broad general statements because ignorance is bliss is one thing, when they involve insults, veiled or otherwise, scorn or contempt, or even attempts to control thought through decision makers (such as the OP has attempted to do) is another.

You're scared. Scared to answer a simple question. How telling.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
It isn't noncommittal, I just really don't care. I don't care if you like me, you don't know me, you only know what I say sometimes. Unless something has a direct effect on my life or the life of those I love, I don't care if this authority is lying to me. I don't plan to go out into the universe anytime soon, unless I can master an out of body experience, which trust me, I have tried many times. If I go out there and check it out I will let you know or hopefully take my iphone with me and take my own pic.

There are some things you say that I like and I mark it so, others things I don't like and I either ignore or respond. I am much more into positive, kind, helpful things and try to uplift other's days and not go down into ratholes to see what is living there. This is a rathole so I just don't care to be here.

I wish you all the best and a positive outlook (to the universe or not) for you.

Emma JC

It is noncommittal. That's fine. Your answer is not to answer. I wonder if I had claimed that the sky was blue because long ago an ancient blue dragon breathed on it would get the same noncommittal answer. Somehow I doubt that.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC