Considering not being vegan

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have only recently become vegan (3 months ago) I am getting annoyed at the few affordable alternatives to chocolate and ice cream that taste good.I think £3 for a bar of chocolate is quite expensive and moo free,sainsburys free from and Tesco free from chocolate taste quite crap if I am honest.The only option I have is Ritter sport marzipan chocolate or dark chocolate.I am just sick and tired of being limited in my options.I know my taste buds are not a good enough reason to hurt animals.For example booja booja is incredibly expensive and I think £5 for a tub of ice cream is ridiculously expensive and vegan magnum is nowhere as good as the real thing.The only affordable ice cream is Swedish glace which is ok.

Reactions: betiPT
I know I should try and be more supportive but those reasons are ridiculous.

OK, listen if your only two issues are chocolate and ice cream go ahead and have non-vegan chocolate and ice cream.

I know I'm stretching the "possible and practical" clause. But it's only up to you to decide what is practical and possible - For YOU.

The way things are going its probably just a little while before there is a really good source of vegan chocolate and ice cream at your local grocery store anyway. Or in a few years when you decide you need to lose a few pounds, you will give up chocolate and ice cream on a regular basis.

If you lived in the states I would recommend you get some Endangered Species chocolate and some So Delicious or Haagen Daz Frozen desserts. They are very good and not much more money than regular.

I live in the UK.

I know. That is why I said, "If you lived in the states." But yeah, I could have left that sentence out.

But stay tuned, we have some UK members here and pretty soon they will be giving you all their favorite UK brands.

Oh. And i bet you can order Endangered Species online. I buy Endangered Species because I'm also concerned with chocolate being "slavery free". And its right next to me at the checkout.

But almost all dark chocolate is vegan.

I suppose you've seen this article. But just in case.

PETA UK: Best chocolate Fixes

I think that you just haven't found the right alternatives yet. I mean I have been vegan for over three years now and I still come across amazing new alternatives. My newest found is a vegan cheese that tastes just delicious, it took me 3 years to find one that I really love. My suggestion would be to just hang in there and keep looking. Once you found your right alternatives it will be worth it:)

Reactions: Lou
Also (I don't know about chocolate because I never liked how it sticks to my gum and teeth lol) I would recommend the soy ice cream of the brand Alpro, I think they're delicious:)

Last edited:
I think that you just haven't found the right alternatives yet. I mean I have been vegan for over three years now and I still come across amazing new alternatives. My newest found is a vegan cheese that tastes just delicious, it took me 3 years to find one that I really love. My suggestion would be to just hang in there and keep looking. Once you found your right alternatives it will be worth it:)

What cheese is that? Inquiring minds need to know!

BTW, nice job on the supportive message.

Thank you:blush:

The brand I have found is "Violife" they have different cheeses of which the "original flavour slices" are my favourite. I also use them on top of lasagnas, gratins or as raclette:)

I also like the brand soyananda (for bread spread)
tray-original-slices_500x550.png
soyananda-kraeuter-knoblauch-frischkaeseiNOz4CPceZ6ZF_600x600.jpg

You can't be vegan because chocolate and ice cream?

I once thought i couldn't be vegan because I believed it was necessary to eat fish. But chocolate and ice cream? These aren't even necessary on any level.

I'm sure some vegans in the UK will be happy to assist you with these problematic items. Good luck.

Thank you:blush:

The brand I have found is "Violife" they have different cheeses of which the "original flavour slices" are my favourite. I also use them on top of lasagnas, gratins or as raclette:)

I also like the brand soyananda (for bread spread)
/QUOTE]

Darn it! those are not sold here in California.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 6
I'm sorry, but this seems ridiculous. This just cannot be the reason to dump vegan lifestyle.
Regarding ice cream- maybe try to make your own? Freeze bananas + whipped coconut cream, blend them together and voila - perfect ice cream. Or with any other fruit and plant based cream. Try different things before throwing it all away. Give it a few more months, keep looking for alternatives.
I couldn't live without cheese. I still dream about cheese although I am lactose intolerant. The pain of animals and myself sometimes seemed not enough to not eat it. But I survived the first 21 days, motivated myself, tried making my own cheese from nuts/tofu.. And somehow it worked.
Hang in there! And remember that the greater good is worth more than taste buds!

Ice cream? Really?

Dude.

Try making "nice cream" at home with blended frozen bananas and frozen fruit, and maybe some vanilla or chocolate syrup.

Also, a lot of mainstream sorbet is accidentally vegan. It's literally just some kind of fruity ice. Look into it.

Reactions: Emma JC and betiPT
Everyone, you might be making veganism look too hard!

Good for you OP that you don't (presumably) eat meat, fish, factory farm eggs and so on. That is what really matters.

Look, if you decide to eat non vegan ice cream and chocolate, that is not the most important thing. Just don't use it as the starting point to go back to eating meat and factory farmed eggs and them blame this on over strict vegans.

So please don't view it as all or nothing. It's about where you draw the line.

Good luck!

Everyone, you might be making veganism look too hard!

Good for you OP that you don't (presumably) eat meat, fish, factory farm eggs and so on. That is what really matters.

Look, if you decide to eat non vegan ice cream and chocolate, that is not the most important thing. Just don't use it as the starting point to go back to eating meat and factory farmed eggs and them blame this on over strict vegans.

So please don't view it as all or nothing. It's about where you draw the line.

Good luck!

"Over strict vegans"? A person who eats dairy ice cream isn't a vegan, they are a vegetarian. Your comments are neither helpful nor accurate.

Reactions: Paul Bradford
I agree that a person that eats dairy ice cream is not a vegan, I am aware of this, and I not trying to say otherwise.

I didn't really word my post very well, so it's understandable that you thought differently.

But, if a person gives up on veganism because they want chocolate more cheaply and easily I want to make sure that that person understands that it isn't an all or nothing thing. They can still be vegetarian and eating no eggs and reduced dairy and by doing so still do almost as much good as a vegan.

What worries me is when people give up on veganism because some vegan had a go at them for eating honey or whatever and they get so annoyed they end up going back to daily meat. This is what I want to avoid.

I agree that a person that eats dairy ice cream is not a vegan, I am aware of this, and I not trying to say otherwise.

I didn't really word my post very well, so it's understandable that you thought differently.

But, if a person gives up on veganism because they want chocolate more cheaply and easily I want to make sure that that person understands that it isn't an all or nothing thing. They can still be vegetarian and eating no eggs and reduced dairy and by doing so still do almost as much good as a vegan.

What worries me is when people give up on veganism because some vegan had a go at them for eating honey or whatever and they get so annoyed they end up going back to daily meat. This is what I want to avoid.

You shamed us, saying we were making veganism "look hard" even though we offered him alternatives for chocolate and ice cream and were trying to make it easier for him.

You then said we were "over strict" because we were telling him not to blatantly eat dairy ice cream. That's not over strict. Either you're vegan or you're not.

I certainly agree being a vegetarian is better than being a meat eater, but there's no guarantee if this person buys ice cream that it won't be factory farmed, so yes you could have worded it much better. Your post had this weird anti-vegan tone that could have been avoided entirely by saying something like "Please try your best but if you do decide to eat ice cream try to make sure it's not from a factory farm, because being vegetarian is still better than eating animals."

Stopping being a vegan completely just because you can't find decent chocolate seems a bit of a weird path to take, no?

Alternatives:

Cheap Ice? Make it yourself... sorbet can be vegan.
Chocolate? Buy pure chocolate with no added milk? It's vegan...

I really don't get why people think if one or 2 things aren't going their way they should just abandon ship completely. You not eating any meat and fish is already making a difference and you'd throw that away for some chocolate?
I'm from Belgium so chocolate is part of my culture but if it would stand in the way of my way of life I'd cut it from my diet completely without ever looking back.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou