Communication and the "Generation Gap"

I feel your pain.

I think that everybody should have seen the majority of the movies on the IMDB Top 250 list. I have just had a cursory look at this list, and apart from about 10 movies or so, I have seen all the top 100 and consider most of them worth watching. (Only very few of these are black and white, too).

I just had that experience, that I showed my kids (11&12) Jim Carey's "The Mask", and they laughed out loud when Jim Carey pointed his array of huge guns at the villains and drawled "So, Do you feel lucky, punks?" ... without knowing that this is a reference to another, rather classic, movie. (I could not even explain the reference to them, as Dirty Harry is possibly not exactly what is suggested for kids in that age group )

Some of my favourite films are on the list : Notorius, Strangers on a Train, Haichi, The Night Hunter, Sunset Blvd, Rebecca, Monthy Python & the Holy Grail, All About Eve, The Appartement, North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder…………….

Reactions: Amy SF
I remembered that Peter Sellers was in Dr. Strangelove. But my memory is bad. I suppose I have seen it.

Here's another question for you all. Do you remember a comedy skit where a man goes to a restaurant and every item on the menu includes Spam(tm)(luncheon meat)? The man tries to tell the waitress, "I'll have such-and-such, but hold the Spam." The waitress is horrified! What! Hold the Spam!

That's a "Monty Python" skit, by the way.

I was just wondering whether that is something most people would be familiar with, or whether only "oldsters" would remember something like that.

(BTW, I thought of that because I have to keep telling people "hold the (raw) onions" when I put in my order. There seems to be a compulsion to include raw onions with everything, like Spam in the above skit.)

^^^ I'm over 60, and yet I haven't seen ANY of the movies Shyvas mentions a few posts above... 'course I'm only into sci-fi and fantasy, so that explains it. Lately I've been wanting to get "Laura" out of the library and watch it though... a local radio station played the theme music from that film and the announcer mentioned that she had seen it long ago.

I've heard of the "Spam" skit, but actually haven't seen it. Dr. Demento used to play it on his radio show sometimes, but I suppose it wasn't the same without actually seeing the Vikings singing.

that spam sketch is supposed to be where the term 'spam' as in spam emails etc comes from....ie loads of spam that you don't actually want.

Reactions: ledboots
The skit is slightly different than I remember it.

that spam sketch is supposed to be where the term 'spam' as in spam emails etc comes from....ie loads of spam that you don't actually want.

Wikipedia supports your assertion.

"Spam" is a Monty Python sketch, first televised in 1970. In the sketch, two customers are lowered into a greasy spoon café by wires and try to order a breakfast from a menu that includes Spam in almost every dish. The sketch was written by Terry Jones and Michael Palin.

The term spam in the context of electronic communications is derived from this sketch.[1]

Spam (Monty Python) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia