Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just got back from a screening of this documentary, and it was pretty good, even though it covered familiar ground. It took making the case for veganism from an environmental standpoint, citing the WHO study about the greenhouse gases from factory farmed animals and the devastation of the rainforests due to grazing and growing feed to feed the global demand for meat.

Here are the main points I got from this film:
--The big environmental groups (Greenpeace, Sierra Club, for example) won't address animal agriculture, even though this business is responsible for the bulk of destroyed habitats, pollution and rainforest devastation, for fear of choking their fund-raising sources by pissing off their non-veggie members. Once again, it always comes down to money and/or greed.

--You really can't call yourself an environmentalist and continue to consume meat and dairy.

-- Sustainable food practices can't include any kind of meat or dairy consumption, be it factory farming, free-range or grass-fed operations. The bottom line is that too many resources go to meat and dairy production, small and large scale, to make it sustainable in the long run.

--Cows' milk is not meant for humans (a funny, but to-the-point interview of a doctor who grew up on a diary farm and went vegan in his 40s), and you can thrive health-wise on a vegan diet.

--The animal agriculture industry wields immense power and influence with its wealth both in the U.S. and globally (the film touched on the murders of a number of activists who fought the cattle industry in Brazil and how the FBI has many animal rights activists/groups on their radar in the U.S.) and noted how in bed the U.S. government is with ranchers using public land for grazing. The film addressed the culling of wild horses and foxes to make room for cattle to graze on public land for a fraction of the true cost.

There was an interesting interview of the guy who spoke against the cattle industry on the Oprah show and got sued. He said it took him five years to extricate himself from the legal battles and cited the laws regarding food disparagement, which I hadn't known all that much about. That **** is scary. Again, this goes back to the power/wealth issue. He basically said that telling the truth can still get you in a lot of hot water.

The movie also was billed as non-violent, but it did touch on the savagery of killing animals for food with a scene involving the slaughter of two ducks by a backyard farmer. That scene made me cry. I couldn't watch the whole thing. It also killed whatever appetite I had, as I went right after work to see this film and hadn't eaten dinner.

The brief discussion afterward was pretty interesting, too. There were three panelists: a professor of sustainability from a local college, a Green Party candidate for Connecticut Attorney General and a sociology professor who was the lone vegan of the group. The sustainability professor tried in vain to make a distinction between hunting for food and consuming commercially produced meat, and it almost turned ugly, as a couple of people in the audience called him out on that one. He said that even after seeing the film, he doubted he would go vegan and felt he was being judged by the two people who called him out. He said he was raised in the Appalachian Mountains and grew up hunting for food. He did say his eldest son was vegan. :) The film also pointed out that you can escape your upbringing, even in the most meat-centric situations.

The candidate said he would have a hard time calling himself an environmentalist after seeing the film but didn't commit to going vegan.

The other professor, a female, noted that most of the vegan experts interviewed for the film were male.

What was frustrating to me was the lack of real, practical solutions for getting people to actually stop eating meat and dairy in large numbers, either in the film or during the discussion afterward. The sociology professor touted education as the key for change, but the minute a vegan starts to talk about why people should stop eating meat and dairy, he or she is deemed judgmental and attacking. It happened during the discussion with the sustainability professor. He ended up being the perfect example of people, who even when presented with a mountain of evidence of the evils of meat and dairy consumption, stick their heads in the sand and refuse to change and get completely defensive. The two people who called him out were not rude or discourteous, either. I just wanted to scream.

Very loose math on this one ...

If it is true that 70-80% of all meat currently consumed is intensively produced then around 70-80% of all meat currently consumed is produced unsustainably.

Any serious advocation, by omnis, for sustainable meat that omits equaly serious advocation for a 70-80% decreases in meat consumption is, thus, clearly a pile of old bollox.

Very loose math on this one ...

If it is true that 70-80% of all meat currently consumed is intensively produced then around 70-80% of all meat currently consumed is produced unsustainably.

Any serious advocation, by omnis, for sustainable meat that omits equaly serious advocation for a 70-80% decreases in meat consumption is, thus, clearly a pile of old bollox.

That's pretty much what a few of the people interviewed in the movie espoused...we're basically killing the planet with meat production.

That's pretty much what a few of the people interviewed in the movie espoused...we're basically killing the planet with meat production.

Aye, and not only but also ..

The assumption that the 20-30% of meat that is not intensively produced is sustainably produced is a dangerously flawed one.

I.e. We don't know (or do we?) how much of that non intensively produced meat is already reared on pasturage created by non-sustainable deforestation and other habitat destruction.

I was discussing this with Charlie the other day and he came up with a very valid point in defense of causing planetary collapse though; "Yes, but I do like a bacon sandwich"

Aye, and not only but also ..

The assumption that the 20-30% of meat that is not intensively produced is sustainably produced is a dangerously flawed one.

I.e. We don't know (or do we?) how much of that non intensively produced meat is already reared on pasturage created by non-sustainable deforestation and other habitat destruction.

I was discussing this with Charlie the other day and he came up with a very valid point in defense of causing planetary collapse though; "Yes, but I do like a bacon sandwich"
I have friends who tout their local grass-fed meat as environmentally sound, but the film points out that there really isn't enough land to support that type of production to feed the billions of people on the planet. It's a really inefficient method of production.

Grass fed cows still produce methane.

I'm not sure, if I ate meat, that I would give up just for environmental reasons....each person doesn't make much difference, whereas from an animal rights POV eating meat does make a huge difference.

I have friends who tout their local grass-fed meat as environmentally sound, but the film points out that there really isn't enough land to support that type of production to feed the billions of people on the planet. It's a really inefficient method of production.

There's a bit of the Marie Antoinette in people who take that line, I think, PT.

"Madame, the plebs have no KFC or Big Macs"

"Well let them eat the humanely reared organic champagne and truffle fed free range pate foi gras instead!"

Grass fed cows still produce methane.

I'm not sure, if I ate meat, that I would give up just for environmental reasons....each person doesn't make much difference ..

On the assumption that lb for lb all animals fart in equal volume that makes no sense.

Each and every lb of meat eaten (out of the total of all meat produced) contributes equaly to the total amount of environmental damage that meat production causes.

That one is plain and simple "every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty" type thinking.

whereas from an animal rights POV eating meat does make a huge difference.

You don't want to go there because of where it leads, Blobbers.

Where it leads to is that the moral argument against eating animals gets lesser the larger animal being eaten becomes.

Broaching the rights of a single elephant being less immoral than broaching the rights of however many chickens/sheep/pigs/cows produce the same meat yeild, kinda thing.

all I'm saying that eating meat does have a direct affect on an animal that is killed, even if the animal was as big as a skyscraper; whereas the damage that eating meat does to the environment is on a par with a lot of other things I do, like having the central heating on, or my fan.

Reactions: Tom L.
It is inefficient, yes. Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a moment: if one assumes that the land on which those animals are feeding isn't really fit for growing things like vegetables, grain, pinto beans, etc, because it's too arid, rocky, or uneven to cultivate, but a herd of cows will enable someone to get human-usable food from that land... an advocate for grass-feeding animals who are being raised for meat might argue that since that pastureland was not producing food for humans anyway, it's not a loss.

(I would counter that no, that land was not producing food for us- but it undoubtedly served as a home and provided food for other animals. EDITED TO ADD: as some mentioned in this thread.)

Last edited:
It's on YouTube now.

The amazing thing is how totaly un-amazing the guy from Sierra Clubs reaction to addressing meat as the #1 cause of global warming is.

It tallies with something about Greenpeace (I'm a donator) thats been nagging at m'head for a while now.

I'm thinking of switching my support to a vegan charity from now on.

The amazing thing is how totaly un-amazing the guy from Sierra Clubs reaction to addressing meat as the #1 cause of global warming is.

It tallies with something about Greenpeace (I'm a donator) thats been nagging at m'head for a while now.

I'm thinking of switching my support to a vegan charity from now on.
Indeed, some of the reactions to the presentation of evidence of the environmental damage of industrial meat and dairy production were priceless.

Each and every lb of meat eaten (out of the total of all meat produced) contributes equaly to the total amount of environmental damage that meat production causes.

I'm not so sure about that.

If I am not mistaken, intensive agriculture (="factory farms"), while being a horrible and morally reprehensive thing for the animals trapped in it, might be actually more efficient than "organic" and "compassionate" raising of animals for slaughter (Which is why it is much cheaper).

Yes, the "grass fed / ruminating" kind of animals might be even more efficient (from the input of feed vs. output of meat perspective) than that, but that also is not "sustainable" in any way (unless we do have a few more earths left in store somewhere for cattle to graze upon to feed everybody).

Animal products are simply not sustainable any more to feed the numbers of people alive today. And reducing the number of people is also not a really viable alternative.

It is an awesome film, and I agree that everybody should see it.

Before viewing the film, I knew that animal agriculture was not sustainable, but I had no idea about the actual dimension.
It seems that eating animal products is by and large the most important contributor to most of the pollution problems we have today, and that everybody going vegan is maybe the only way we can still be able to resolve the problem of climate change.

Hi! I have been looking online for this film for a few days now. Does anyone know any websites that are streaming it for free? Looks like it was taken off of Youtube.