Depressed about animal abuse and the lack of punishment for it

maskrose

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post here and I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong forum.
I'm feeling very depressed today and have been for the last days. An incident where an animal was tortured and killed in my neighbourhood happened just a few days ago. Ever since I heard about it I have felt incredibly angry, frustrated, depressed and like everything is hopeless. One thing that angers me is how animal abuse isn't being taken seriously. The girl who discovered the dead cat called the police and their initial response was to tell her to "hide the cat" and forget about it.

I understand that the police where I live don't get enough enough resources to deal with everything that happens and that because of our politicians, animal abuse is very far down on the list of what they are expected to deal with. But to actually tell her to hide the cat and forget about it?!? These are psychos on the loose that we're talking about dammit, and even people who don't care about animals should realise that it doesn't end with animal abuse, people who does these types of things can do anything to a human being as well, and the've allready proved that they like to torture defensless creatures, so why not a child the next time?

I just can't get over this the way other people seem to. I can't just here about things like this and go on with my day as if nothing happened. I really want to see a big change in how the police deal with animal abuse in my country. But right now it feels as if no progresse will ever be made. It just feels hopeless

That is disturbing. I believe there is hard research that backs up the claim that a not insignificant ratio of people who become serial killers at one time dabbled in animal torture.

The police in my home country (Norway) now finally has a special unit to deal with crimes against animals. It's unfortunately only on a trial basis, and only 3 officers in the whole country. Much too little, much too late, but it's nevertheless progress.

I just can't get over this the way other people seem to. I can't just here about things like this and go on with my day as if nothing happened. I really want to see a big change in how the police deal with animal abuse in my country. But right now it feels as if no progresse will ever be made. It just feels hopeless
Hang in there. It's long road, unfortunately. We're coming from a situation where animals were nothing but food, and we're trying to achieve a society where animals have rights. There is a lot of work to be done.

I phoned the police about a whole pile of dead and dismembered animals I found, once.

They just told me that next time I go shopping I should stick to the fruit & vegetable aisle.