Come the revolution..

Ann Chovie

Ploughing my own furrow
Reaction score
Well now its official

Vegans are taking over the world.. well Milton Keynes anyway.

Having had an office shift around and a scattering of new staff I am now in an office of ten in which three of us are Vegan!! Which was amazing in itself and not statistically representative at all?

Then standing making coffee in the staff room , being subjected to one of those 'so where Do you get your protein?' chats ( and fighting the urge to respond with 'somewhere you look as if you havent been asked to go for a long time';) )

a woman I have not met before comes in looking disgustingly healthy and begins to chat with me about the sources of protein she as a Vegan of 30 years consumes.

Silence. No one utters another word. Lots of shoulder shrugging and embarrassed coughs though as they find a reason to leave !!

The same is now the case in the office if someone becomes bored and fancies a 'poke the Vegan' interlude. Any derisive or offensive comments are dealt with by one Vegan and backed up by two more. Such occasions are becoming less and less.

Clear evidence that Vegan bashing is purely bullying . Just a 'pick on the one who is different' in the same way that people 'pick on the fat kid' or bash up the kid with the ginger hair. If either had back up from other fat/ginger kids the bully would run a mile.

Does the bully have any real interest in what we eat or 'what colour our poo is?' I doubt it very much.

He merely wants to look big by attempting to make others look small. Bullying is as old as time itself.

Anne 'Chesty' Chovie and myself were chatting about this over coffee this morning.

(Turns out that the coffee at the womens refuge where she is in hiding from me is not the finest, but that's another story ..)

Set to thinking. Not many veg*ans when I started 25 years, or so, ago.

Was always one against many and the principle weapons of attack were attempts to ridicule and offend from a position of safety in numbers.

Definitely a form of bullying.

Probably my habit of resorting at a very early stage in proceedings to massively offensive counter-attacks and extreme ridicule of omni-logic was forged in those years.

A form of bullying the bullies.