City in India does not allow meat

There is also Palitana which we´ve discussed before, also in India

I said in the previous thread that I also would like to see Bhutan, and that perhaps you could travel between Palitana and Bhutan.

Well the city you mentioned is in between the two places I already wanted to visit.

Hmmm....

I spy a few interesting places on the way:

Here´s my plan so far....From West to East: Palitana - Jaipur - Agra (Taj Mahal) - Varanasi - Kathmandu (I´ll take a side trip to Everest base camp) - Darjeeling - Bhutan

Only 3,300 kilometers or 2050 miles

Road trip, obviously

1 - 2 months trip....

Indian city to remove non-vegetarian food stalls from main roads​

Authorities in Ahmedabad order removal of non-vegetarian food stalls from main roads – the fourth city in Gujarat state to do so in recent days.

Indian city to remove non-vegetarian food stalls from main roads

That´s good. In Western countries we can only dream of such enlightened measures. :)

However, there may be a dark side to this. Modi´s BJP government is a Hindu nationalist government that seems to have given a boost to anti-Muslim bigotry. There might be a connection here, as Hinduism is more of a veggie culture, whereas Islamic cultures are arguably even slightly more pro meat than the West.

• Informative
Reactions: vegan89 and Emma JC
I'm not sure of this. Its just what I presumed:
I think its a religious/political thing. Hindu has a vegetarian component. And the government is Hindu. And the government sort of sucks. So think there might be an ulterior motive.
I think its a "win" for vegetarians/vegans.

This sounds great but... In 675 A.D., Emperor Tenmu banned the consumption of meat in Japan... Say again? This is information that many vegans don't know about (wait a few weeks after I post this) and the information came straight from my mind... Okay, I google it, maybe, not really. I can create past, present, and future, it happens all the time in the now. Don't ask me how, because you will say I am not a God. Anyways...

It’s very common in India to have high rise accomodation we’re the requirement is a vegetarian diet to live there

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
I put into a search engine "In 675 A.D., Emperor Tenmu banned the consumption of meat in Japan."

There is a short article here:

It looks like the Japanese mostly didn't eat meat for about 1,000 years

Here is a more detailed article: That talks about the return to meat eating over recent centuries

(I'm not familiar with either of these websites, I haven't verified the info)

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
An interesting question is what is higher

The total number of vegetarians in India
or the total number in the rest of the world combined

It looks like about 20%-30% of Indians are vegetarians which is about 280-420 million out of a 1.4 billion population

Of the rest of the world's population of 6.4 billion, 280-420 million would require 4.4%-6.6% which might be reasonably close to the truth.

Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia can help to shed some light on this question, although there is no definite answer to this.

Thanks for sharing this article. It's nice to see some proper journalism, someone actually went and talked to people and found out what was really going on. It looks like these measures and being put through quite suddenly and perhaps handled fairly badly.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
Interesting quote from that article ""My family and I have been pure vegetarians for generations. We refuse to even drink water in a home where eggs are consumed," I believe "pure vegetarian" in Asia is something close to vegan, I think it means vegetarians who also avoid eggs and dairy, I have heard this term before in either China or Taiwan.

Another article today: Meat ban: India isn't vegetarian but who'll tell the right-wing? which contains a quote I thought I'd never read "“right-wing politicians call for meat shops to be shut” as well as a link to another article "Authorities have closed many slaughterhouses". Looking forward to the day we can read such stories around the world. It may be part of the anti-muslim minority, pro Hindu majority agenda, however.

• Informative
Reactions: vegan89 and Emma JC
Interesting quote from that article ""My family and I have been pure vegetarians for generations. We refuse to even drink water in a home where eggs are consumed," I believe "pure vegetarian" in Asia is something close to vegan, I think it means vegetarians who also avoid eggs and dairy, I have heard this term before in either China or Taiwan.
I don't think that is right. Possibly a "Strict Vegetarian" which is the vegan diet but not all the other things.

but more likely its a Hindu or Buddhist thing - and being that this is India - I'm pretty sure that is what it is. In that case its not just a strict vegetarian diet but they don't allow any cross contamination. They not only avoid products that are made in the same place as non-vegan items but may not walk into a grocery store that sells meat.

as consistently as possible avoid any products which were made in the same place as non-vegan items; but I digress. [only seams consistent to be honest]

I'd love to have meat banned in the United States.

However, there may be a dark side to this. Modi´s BJP government is a Hindu nationalist government that seems to have given a boost to anti-Muslim bigotry. There might be a connection here, as Hinduism is more of a veggie culture, whereas Islamic cultures are arguably even slightly more pro meat than the West.​

Well then maybe Hindu-nationalism is a good thing if it's good for veganism.