Christmas party menu, please help

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone from a new vegan-to-be.

I've had a look at the menu for where I am going for our work's Christmas party and nothing was suitable. I emailed the venue who asked what I would like / would not eat etc. I gave them a link to a catering for vegans. They have emailed me a menu but I am so new to this myself I'm not sure what to check/ask about it etc.

Can someone please help me...thanks :) xxx

Starter

Roasted Vegetable Verrine
With Basil Dressing
And Toasted Home Wholemeal Bread

Main Course

Maple Roasted Squash And Shallots En Croute
Chestnut And Sage Stuffing,
Roasted Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables,
Cranberry Relish With Vegetable Jus
Dessert And Coffee
Rum And Chocolate Trifle With Marinated Cherries
Or
Fresh Fruit Salad With Raspberry Sorbet
Coffee

Reactions: Freesia
I don't know what country you live in, but that is unbelievable that the firm has come up with such an elaborate vegan menu !:eek:
I would only query them about the bread and trifle. Make sure that there is no dairy in either as people have a tendancy to use the former for bread and desserts.

Vegetable jus is just vegeatble juice !

I don't know what country you live in, but that is unbelievable that the firm has come up with such an elaborate vegan menu !:eek:
Seriously! That was my thought!

I've been burned too many times to assume anything. First I would thank them profusely for trying to be so accomodating, then I would specifically ask if the roasted vegetables are roasted with oil and not butter; does the basil dressing contain any kind of cheese, such as romano or paremesan; is the stuffing made with stock and if so, is it non-meat based; and I would definitely ask about the trifle...don't know if I've seen one without dairy and/or eggs. And of course, I would ask about the bread. I would reiterate that you don't want anything containing, milk, butter, cream, cheese, etc. I find I have to be very specific where I live.

Unless, of course, you are dealing with a venue that has total experience with vegan food and perhaps since you are transitioning, you wouldn't mind one or two things that are vegetarian but not vegan. :)

Seriously! That was my thought!

I've been burned too many times to assume anything. First I would thank them profusely for trying to be so accomodating, then I would specifically ask if the roasted vegetables are roasted with oil and not butter; does the basil dressing contain any kind of cheese, such as romano or paremesan; Yes as most people don't know that parmesan isn't vegetarian nevermind vegan .

is the stuffing made with stock and if so, is it non-meat based; and I would definitely ask about the trifle...don't know if I've seen one without dairy and/or eggs. And of course, I would ask about the bread. I would reiterate that you don't want anything containing, milk, butter, cream, cheese, etc. I find I have to be very specific where I live.

Unless, of course, you are dealing with a venue that has total experience with vegan food and perhaps since you are transitioning, you wouldn't mind one or two things that are vegetarian but not vegan. :)

It does sound like a British menu as it states roast potatoes and trifle for dessert. Nevertheless, it is outstanding !

It did me make me laugh thinking about what menu my firm would come up with ; white pasta and vegetables. Full stop !

Reactions: KLS52
I would only query them about the bread and trifle. Make sure that there is no dairy in either as people have a tendancy to use the former for bread and desserts.

Vegetable jus is just vegeatble juice !
Here in Holland vegetable Jus means vegetable sauce. I figured you might want to check what is in the sauce.

It did me make me laugh thinking about what menu my firm would come up with ; white pasta and vegetables. Full stop !

Ha ha...sad but true...same here! :)

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Yes it is in Britain, I'm quite close to Cambridge.
I think it may have been taken off a link I sent them re. catering for vegans.
They have been so lovely with all the emails back and forth so far. I wasn't sure of the appropriate way to thank them. Should I take something in for the events co-ordinator that has been emailing me and for the chef? Should I say I will recommend them as a vegan friendly venue? Maybe it's a lot of hassle and they don't want people knowing they are so accommodating lol xxx

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
Well it sounds to me like they've listened to what you said and created something vegan. It looks fine (and delicious) to me, considering it's been sent specifically as a vegan option. In the UK most bread doesn't have dairy in it anyway. You can double check some things if you were worried - things that they wouldn't make themselves so might not notice it had animal products in (such as stock), or just reassure them if they're unsure the chef can contact you to ask any questions, and make sure you give a list of typical not vegan things (if you haven't already, it sounds like you may well have done though) including honey. Does the catering link you give them give recipes? If so I'd think you were fairly safe. :)

Enjoy your meal! Lucky you sounds great.

That is a fabulous menu - wish I lived nearer to Cambridge! The STUNNING Christmas meal supplied to me last year at a murder mystery event in London ( £70 all in ) was veg soup to start, with a bread roll, roasted med veg as a main ( I am not joking it was literally a plate of roasted veg drizzled with balsamic) with fruit salad to end -and I had to prompt them to bring the fruit salad. I was charged exactly the same for this as everyone else enjoying a full three course meal. No potatoes rice pasta - literally a plate of veg . I wasn't actually on a diet.

Re your menu I would double check there is no butter in the en croute and that the chocolate .trifle is all dairy free. Top marks to the venue though - sounds like they have really made the effort for you. Hungry now.....

That is a fabulous menu - wish I lived nearer to Cambridge! The STUNNING Christmas meal supplied to me last year at a murder mystery event in London ( £70 all in ) was veg soup to start, with a bread roll, roasted med veg as a main ( I am not joking it was literally a plate of roasted veg drizzled with balsamic) with fruit salad to end -and I had to prompt them to bring the fruit salad. I was charged exactly the same for this as everyone else enjoying a full three course meal. No potatoes rice pasta - literally a plate of veg . I wasn't actually on a diet.

Re your menu I would double check there is no butter in the en croute and that the chocolate .trifle is all dairy free. Top marks to the venue though - sounds like they have really made the effort for you. Hungry now.....

Wow, it looks like I'm really lucky with them. They should look into more dishes and advertise themselves as having a vegan menu, sounds like there could be a bit of interest.

Where abouts near cambs are you? I'm north, Peterborough x