Chocolate

Ryan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am dying for some vegan milk chocolate. OR some animal cruelty free milk chocolate. I was a vegetarian for 4 years and recently went vegan and I have been craving chocolate SO BAD. Does anyone have any leads on chocolate that will not break the bank? (NOT dark chocolate)

Reactions: sandymar
You can make chocolate mouse or choco balls.... with great taste believe me....with dark chocolate and soya milc....see the recipe!

I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that too often vegan milk chocolate does not have any, or enough, sugar in it. Chocolate is supposed to be sweet isn't it?

Hello! It depends of the chocolate, there are chocolates with no sugar at all....very bitter, there are chocolates with stevia or other sugar alternatives...there are so many products around! In this particular recipe, the chocolate is 70 precent...it has a bit of sugar...and the particular milk has a bit of sweetener, stevia! I hope that I helped you!

This is what I don't understand, since when has sugar not been vegan. Why do they have to put sugar alternatives in it, why not just SUGAR?? Sorry, this gets to me.

Reactions: TofuRobot
I like dark chocolate , so don't know much about having sweet. But maybe you could learn to make your own chocolate and put in whatever you want. :p

Nobody said that sugar isn't vegan, especially raw sugar with melasa. But the big consumption of sugar can causes many health problems....like diabetes....etc....so it's better to control it for our health....not for other reasons I suppose :] Happy new Year!!!

I adore the Holland and Barrett chocolate! The mint one is the one I like best, but all of them are nice. Sainsbury's also do some nice dairy free chocolate too :)

I'm not vegan for health reasons I'm vegan for the animals. I would like to be able to eat nice unhealthy sweet chocolate now and then. Sugar isn't bad for you if you have it in moderation. Hugh Grant ended up in hospital from drinking too much water! I'm just looking for a nice smooth sweet vegan chocolate that is about 50% cocoa. I don't like the higher ones.

Reactions: Vegandy
Cane sugar is extremely unhealthy. It promotes cardiovascular problems, aging, blood sugar level inbalances, liver problems and stores excess fructose as fat and is bad for your pineal gland which is a problem for many spiritual people who often go vegetarian and vegan. So naturally cane sugar is replaced with alternatives in the vegan recipes for above and probably plenty of other reasons. Since it is so bad it is so heavily promoted. Because that is what the food industry wants right, make you unhealthy.
You can get used to Stevia you know, in ways that makes you never ever want anything else.

Again, I'm only vegan for the animals so I don't care if sugar is unhealthy, so are lots of things that have nothing to do with being vegan or anything else. In small doses it isn't going to cause any problems at all unless you already have an underlying problem. My doctor told me that 15 cigarettes a day will do you no harm at all. Anything in excess is bad for you. I just don't see why I should have to give up sugar just because I have given up dairy. Fair point I think.

Again, I'm only vegan for the animals so I don't care if sugar is unhealthy, so are lots of things that have nothing to do with being vegan or anything else. In small doses it isn't going to cause any problems at all unless you already have an underlying problem. My doctor told me that 15 cigarettes a day will do you no harm at all. Anything in excess is bad for you. I just don't see why I should have to give up sugar just because I have given up dairy. Fair point I think.
Hi Sally, I agree with almost all you say here but, if my doctor told me 15 cigarettes a day would do me no harm, I would change my doctor. Pronto!:worried:

I don't avoid sugar but nor do I consume much of it in the first place. I am aware of the health risks sugar is associated with but I just don't eat enough to worry about those risks. Of course sugar is from a plant so it is inherently vegan. I think of it like the difference between eating a side dish of boiled or baked potatoes vs. eating a bag of greasy french fries (chips for you Brits). I'd rather eat a plant closer to what it looked like from the farm field (non-GMO of course) than something that was processed beyond recognition.

Hi Sally, I agree with almost all you say here but, if my doctor told me 15 cigarettes a day would do me no harm, I would change my doctor. Pronto!:worried:

Oh, I don’t know. I can think of circumstances where that might be very reasonable advice. Like, for example, if a patient is terminally ill and won’t see even half way to the first snows of winter. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: tokethehighroad
The closest thing I've found to vegan 'milk' chocolate is the 'boom choco boom' ricemilk chocolate bar. I get them at Wegmans. The ricemilk chocolate bar (purple wrapper) is certified vegan, but the crunch bar is not - just so you are aware. I am not sure why, it still says it is dairy free, but it just isn't certified vegan. They have a website too, all the ingredients are listed if you want to check it out, just google 'boom choco boom' and it should come up.

You could also make your own chocolate 'milk' - using cocoa powder and adding as much of your favorite milk alternative and sweetner to your own tastes.

Also if you do have access to Wegmans - their semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan, I like to keep a stash of those around for a quick, cheap chocolate fix - but they are closer to dark chocolate, so I'm not sure if you would like them as much. They are definitely not bitter, but not quite 'milk' chocolate. They have an organic version which is also vegan, but I think the non-organic actually tastes better.

Ben & Jerry's has a line of non-dairy certified vegan ice cream, one of which is a chocolate fudge flavor.

Those are my go-to's for chocolate cravings, hopefully it is helpful for you!