Chipotle Testing Tofu Option

I've never been to a Chipotle, either, but I guess now I'll have to try it!

ETA: I tried Chipotle sooner than I expected. On Saturday, I was at the mall (in the San Fernando Valley) shopping with my sister, and we went to the food court for dinner. They have a Chipotle there and we decided to try them. We decided on the make your own bowls, but I didn't get the tofu (organic) because I had been sick the night before with diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramping and vomiting, and the girl behind the counter said the tofu was spicy. I got the black beans for the protein, but my sister got the tofu. She has a slightly easier time with spicy food than I do, and she said it was definitely spicy, her mouth was burning. But she also said it was good.

Perhaps I can try the tofu another time when my stomach will allow it, and wash it down with plenty of water.

What did I think of what I did eat? It was good, but not great. For food court food, it was edible and vegetarian, but nothing to snap and upload (the modern version of "write home about"). Not a place I'd want to rush back to, but if there are no other choices, an option.

I tried the sofritas again the other day. I think they're listening to feedback - it wasn't anywhere near as salty and had the perfect amount of spice. It was 100% better! I still prefer my burrito salad bowl with only 5 additions (black beans, brown rice, medium salsa, corn and guacamole) but having this option is fantastic. Voting with my dolla' always feels amazing. :woo:

By the way, for anyone new to Chipotle - even if you request a veggie burrito/bowl/tacos, they may still ask if you want "black or pinto beans?" - the pinto beans are not even vegetarian. They contain bacon.

I tried the sofritas again the other day. I think they're listening to feedback - it wasn't anywhere near as salty and had the perfect amount of spice. It was 100% better! I still prefer my burrito salad bowl with only 5 additions (black beans, brown rice, medium salsa, corn and guacamole) but having this option is fantastic. Voting with my dolla' always feels amazing. :woo:

By the way, for anyone new to Chipotle - even if you request a veggie burrito/bowl/tacos, they may still ask if you want "black or pinto beans?" - the pinto beans are not even vegetarian. They contain bacon.

Oh ****. Good thing I asked for the black beans and not the pinto beans. Thanks for pointing that out. :fp:

Reactions: CrowCaw
I asked for a sample before getting it on a burrito and they gave me some with their cilantro rice. It was delicious like that. So, I decided to try it on a burrito even though I've never had one with something 'meaty'. It was good, but I prefer it with out the meat texture. I'll stick with my usual black bean and guacamole burrito, but I will probably get the sofritas on the side with the rice. It really was delicious like that.

Oh ****. Good thing I asked for the black beans and not the pinto beans. Thanks for pointing that out. :fp:
They told me when I ordered the pintos the first time I went there. I was ordering for the family, so I did say vegan and nonmeat or dairy, but I thanked him for telling me about the beans. The black beans were good. :)

Reactions: CrowCaw
Chipotle is like a five-star establishment compared to most restaurants here.

We also don't have any direct competitors in the fresh-fast-food-burrito genre.

I eat there a lot. (One bowl = three meals for me, so it's economical as well as delicious.)

I wish they had continued and expanded their Gardien offerings, but tofu would also be nice to see. The best thing about Chipotle (at least the one near me) is they are not stingy with the guacamole. Others give you a teaspoon. Chipotle give you a very nice dollop.

Chipotle is okay. I much prefer moes, and don't go to chipotle.

Same here. I like the atmosphere and food at Moe's better than Chipotle. I like the tofu option at Moe's plus the chips and salsa are free. I wish these places had drive thru options.

Reactions: RascalsMom
I don't understand why they are taking forever to expand this to other locations. Obviously there is a demand for it. Their test markets have been successful so far and one of their major competitors (Moes) has had a tofu option for years now that has been very popular. So what's the problem? Just go ahead and offer it at ALL locations now dammit!

Speaking of Moes, I was just there last week. I was extremely impressed with the tofu at that particular store location. The texture and seasoning were perfect.

Reactions: sleepydvdr