Animal Advocacy Chicken Rescue

M

mlp

Does anyone know of a chicken rescue anywhere in the Midwest? I would eventually like to add some rescued hens, as my flock gradually dwindles through attrition.

I know several places where I can adopt roosters (the rescue from which I got Captain Snuggles, for one), but the Captain has turned out to be such a territorial and fairly aggressive rooster that I think adding one or more roosters would be asking for trouble.

Haha, is Captain Snuggles a cuddler? I used to know a lap chicken, but she was a hen named Darlene. Whenever I sat down in sight of her she would come snuggle in my lap and peck one of the buttons on my wristwatch.

Well, the Captain was a snuggler. The couple who runs the rescue named him "Snuggles" because he was so sweet. When I went to pick him up, he fell asleep in my arms.

That lasted a solid week after he was introduced to his harem. On day eight, he started attacking me, LOL. On some days, I have to carry the lid from one of the large metal trash cans in which I store their food, to act as a shield.

He is completely de-beaked. He was found wandering in a Chicago alley by a woman who cared enough to find a rescue who would take him. The rescue people think that he must have been intended as a *practice bird* for a cockfighting ring who somehow escaped. Apparently the *practice birds* are frequently de-beaked so they don't do damage to the fighting cocks.

He is completely de-beaked. He was found wandering in a Chicago alley by a woman who cared enough to find a rescue who would take him. The rescue people think that he must have been intended as a *practice bird* for a cockfighting ring who somehow escaped. Apparently the *practice birds* are frequently de-beaked so they don't do damage to the fighting cocks.

:(

Thank you, Dave. I think they don't adopt out as far afield as I am - they appear to want to deliver the chickens so that they can do a home inspection - but I'll email them and ask.

Their site has some really good information, in any case - a valuable resource for anyone with chickens they care about.

:( That's so sad.