CATS and Their Litter Box Behaviors

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I had a cat many years ago (Mikey) who used to run like crazy around the house just before he was going to poop in the litter box. I never thought much about it...he had regular vet checkups and was healthy in every other way. I figured he was just weird, lol.

Now Bogart does the same thing. I know he has his sinus issues but he has had two poop checks, since the coccidia, and both were normal. He just makes this mad dash between the bedroom/living room about four times, poops, and then resumes whatever it is he was doing before he had to go.

I found some comments online. A few have cats that do the same thing. Others say their cat runs like crazy, but afterward, not before. And a few think it's totally abnormal and that there has to be something wrong with the cat. I don't think I'm buying the latter. But I'm wondering if anyone here has a kitty that behaves in a similar manner. :)

I have one who does this sometimes afterwards. He zooms from place to place and stops to scratch, like he's still trying to bury it. :p

Reactions: KLS52
The youngest, who is a boy, does sorta the same thing - zooming and racing through the house, sometimes YOOOWWWLING like he's announcing to us that he needs to go.
When he first showed up here and started doing the yowling thing, we weren't sure what was wrong with him. It was almost like he sounded lost. But i finally figured out that he would do that....he had to go. Other people here didn't know what to think and were worried. I just said "no, he needs to poop." (shouldn't take me out in public when part of my regular conversation is the happenings of my pets bathroom habits)

So, no, I think it's totally normal. Other than if they're acting like it's painful or in my case the yowling changes the way it sounds, I don't think it's anything to worry about.Cats are just freaking weird.
4d71a8ac.gif

I don't know...but cats are such creatures of habit that it's possible something caused him to do something once, it worked out fine, and then for whatever reason he felt he had to keep doing it as part of the routine.

He might have some sort of trapped wind or something. Perhaps he feels really uncomfortable when he is ready to use the litterbox. He might be worried about it all coming out too fast and an accident resulting.

Jean Claude does something like that occasionally. He sometimes yowls and runs afterwards. My daughter and I joked about how glad we are that humans don't do the same!:p
He looooves the cat box, and scratches FOREVER after he does his business. Rhett meows a bit just before going as well, but he's very vocal anyway.

Reactions: KLS52