Can't lose weight...what's happening?

Duda Lewis

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello, so I have been dealing with compulsive overeating/emotional overeating for the past 3 and 1/2 years. I'm hopelessly still searching for a "cure" as nothing I've done so far has worked for me.

Last year, I decided to go vegan because I found it easier to lose/maintain my weight (note: I now have a page full of reasons to adopt this lifestyle).When I went vegan, I was eating as much as I wanted and overeating at every meal and yes, I know this is extremely unhealthy but as I've said, I eat compulsively anyway so I'd rather eat healthy stuff. Anyway, even though I was doing this I was losing weight which was something I hadn't been able to do in a long time. Meanwhile, I was diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor had my parents force-feed me animal products again as she believed my missing periods were related to my new lifestyle. At the time, PCOS was giving me all sorts of unwanted symptoms and I wanted it gone ASAP, besides my doctor told me that I could become infertile if we didn't fix the missing periods thing...anxious and in fear, I gave her "treatment" a go.

By november, 9 months had gone by and I still hadn't menstruated so my mother took me to another doctor who prescribed me a bunch of supplements in an attempt to get my period to come and maybe solve my PCOS condition in the process. It worked at least when it comes to the first part.

During 2016, I gained and lost weight (+3kg) more times than I can count and that messed me up in the worst ways. I figured I could go back to being a vegan and that's what I did as soon as I could. It's been 2 months now and I'm still overeating but I'm not losing weight, instead I keep losing and regaining weight just as before. I also feel like my body has changed...in a bad way...to be honest, it feels like it "malfunctioned" - it doesn't react the same way when I eat. It seems like it absorbs every bit of food I give it and turns it into fat.

Now, I don't plan on abandoning veganism whatsover but I want to know why this is happening. Do you think it's because my PCOS might not be cured? Or is it something else? What can I do to solve this mess? I'm at my limit honestly...
Thank you in advance

Sounds like you are going through hell. Not much advice I can offer except look for a doctor you feel you can trust, not just medically but morally too. Not someone your parents have chosen for you. A certain amount of weight shifting is normal, just got to figure out what is normal for you. Because we are all different. I go through depressed stages and it always puts the weight on to me even if my eating doesn't change. There are many reasons to gain or lose weight. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Sounds like you are going through hell. Not much advice I can offer except look for a doctor you feel you can trust, not just medically but morally too. Not someone your parents have chosen for you. A certain amount of weight shifting is normal, just got to figure out what is normal for you. Because we are all different. I go through depressed stages and it always puts the weight on to me even if my eating doesn't change. There are many reasons to gain or lose weight. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Thank you so much for trying to help.Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a doctor like that yet...it sucks because honestly I feel like I'm a burden to everyone at this point.