Canned Beans

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

Are All Canned Beans the Same? A Nutritionist Weighs In

Canned beans are nutritious, versatile, and tasty. But they’re not all the same. Here’s why it’s important to keep an eye on salt and sugar when you’re topping up your pantry.

“All types of beans provide health benefits,” she told VegNews. “It really doesn’t matter if you choose kidney beans, lima beans, pinto beans, black beans, or any other variety.”

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15

Are All Canned Beans the Same? A Nutritionist Weighs In

Canned beans are nutritious, versatile, and tasty. But they’re not all the same. Here’s why it’s important to keep an eye on salt and sugar when you’re topping up your pantry.

“All types of beans provide health benefits,” she told VegNews. “It really doesn’t matter if you choose kidney beans, lima beans, pinto beans, black beans, or any other variety.”

"Nutritionist" doesn't mean much and by the time you have drained and rinsed the beans the salt and sugar content is negligible. I'm glad we have canned beans because they are so much more convenient than dried.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
"Nutritionist" doesn't mean much and by the time you have drained and rinsed the beans the salt and sugar content is negligible. I'm glad we have canned beans because they are so much more convenient than dried.
You are right about the term "nutritionist". but it says in the article that the info came from an RDN.

Draining and rinsing only removes so much sugar and salt. Most reports say it like 30%.

From the article, "Instead, it’s best to look for simple options. The fewer ingredients, the better. “I’m talking two ingredients,” explains Campbell. “Look for ones with only beans and water on the ingredients list.:

we have two brands to choose from that have either no salt added or very low salt (there is never sugar that I have seen other than in breakfast beans)

President's Choice and Unico

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I've never liked My homemade baked beans. So I buy the canned ones.
I like how Bush's Vegetarian beans taste best. And they just came out with a 0 Sugar version. but it has a lot of salt.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC