Can Anyone Help? 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It contains palm oil.

I don't have anything against using coconut oil except for that it's expensive. I was answering your request as you were looking for a substitute.
Oh, damn.... I'm really trying to be very sparing with palm oil use because the ethics behind it are pretty horrific.... I don't know if coconut oil is much better, however.... :shrug:

I try not to look that stuff up too often because I'm afraid I'll run out of things to eat! :confused: LOL

It contains palm oil.

I don't have anything against using coconut oil except for that it's expensive. I was answering your request as you were looking for a substitute.
The vegan margarines over here contain palm oil also, at least all the ones I've seen.

I use Crisco for pie crusts.Nothing else works as well for a flaky, tender crust.

The vegan margarines over here contain palm oil also, at least all the ones I've seen.

I use Crisco for pie crusts.Nothing else works as well for a flaky, tender crust.

I don't remember the brand but my cousin buys a non dairy spread that is palm oil free.

Vegan Butter - Shopping Guide, Recipes & More

Most of the non dairy spreads over here don't contain palm oil. The reason is that consumers weren't buying them
due to health reasons.

I also like Trex which is the UK equivalent of crispo for making pastry as it does have a nicer texture.

Anyway coming back to the recipe you can make truffles with just chocolate and non dairy cream. You can also dump the recipe if it's too complicated.:yes:

I have not tried a vegan one, but yes, this looks intriguing.

Has anyone actually had success making a vegan sponge cake...the kind you can roll into a jelly roll or Yule log?

This looks interesting but I hate to try something and have it fail.
The best vegan yule log recipe | The Little Blog Of Vegan
View attachment 15341

I remember making swiss roles/roulade when I was at school. I have also seen them being made on various baking shows on TV. I think that the vegan version would give you a slightly denser sponge due not having using eggs in the recipe.

However, there is no reason why it couldn't be rolled successfully. There are a few tips that I still remember and they can be found in the following link. The main ones that I still remember are to use greaseproof/parchement paper. Be careful not to overcook the sponge if not it will crack and will be difficult to roll. Immediately trim off the ends and roll up tightly whilst the sponge is still warm with parchement paper. Place a humid kitchen towel over the sponge whilst it's cooling down. Unroll carefully when cold and add the filling.
Don't worry if there are any apparent cracks as you will be able to cover them with the plant based butter/cream icing.

Swiss Roll Cake with Strawberries and Cream | Let's Eat Cake

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
Ok, cool. I think I will try it! What’s the worst that can happen? It falls apart and I end up eating cake pieces with icing, lol.

Reactions: PTree15
Ok, duly noted and thanks! :)

I try, lol. We should take bets on whether or not I actually do it. :lol:

Don’t you want to know the odds first? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.