West California/Las Vegas Holiday Help!

There's also a Real Food Daily location at LAX now. So, you can have a vegan meal while waiting for your flight. I hear it's turning into a celebrity sighting hot spot. :p

While you're in San Francisco, I suggest Muir Park, it's full of giant redwoods. If you rent a car while you're there, it's only about a 35-40 minute drive.

Reactions: AeryFairy
There's also a Real Food Daily location at LAX now. So, you can have a vegan meal while waiting for your flight. I hear it's turning into a celebrity sighting hot spot. :p

While you're in San Francisco, I suggest Muir Park, it's full of giant redwoods. If you rent a car while you're there, it's only about a 35-40 minute drive.

I already mentioned Muir Woods, so this counts as a second endorsement. Now they REALLY have to go. :p

I like the sound of this!

Thank you so much for all the help, everyone! I've been creating a big list of everything there is to do based primarily on these suggestions, and it's already huge! Also, the menus for some of these veg*n places are making me drool. So keep it coming if there's anything else :p

I already mentioned Muir Woods, so this counts as a second endorsement. Now they REALLY have to go. :p
Oops. I blame it on laziness, and not bothering to look back at what has already been mentioned.

I like the sound of this!

Thank you so much for all the help, everyone! I've been creating a big list of everything there is to do based primarily on these suggestions, and it's already huge! Also, the menus for some of these veg*n places are making me drool. So keep it coming if there's anything else :p

If you are flying with a European company ( Terminal 3) you won't be able to eat there. The restaurant is in the US International terminal. Real Food Daily in LAX’s Terminal 4, home of American Airlines, American Eagle and Qantas.

I usually fly with Virgin Atlantic and you only have the usual fast food restaurants in the lounge. Beware of the vegan/veg choice of meals on board the flight. I find them awful and bring lots of my own food.

If you are flying with a European company ( Terminal 3) you won't be able to eat there. The restaurant is in the US International terminal. Real Food Daily in LAX’s Terminal 4, home of American Airlines, American Eagle and Qantas.

I usually fly with Virgin Atlantic and you only have the usual fast food restaurants in the lounge. Beware of the vegan/veg choice of meals on board the flight. I find them awful and bring lots of my own food.

Aery, RFD has been gradually expanding throughout the LA area, so even if you don't get to eat at the LAX location, you'll still have plenty of opportunity to eat at one of their other locations. :yes:

It is really hard to drive in Los Angeles, I mean unbelievable. Roads with twenty lanes and interminable traffic jams alternating with incredible speeds. The only place I thought was worse to drive in was Manhattan in New York. I would find another way to get around. Plus driving on the right side and all. ;)

She's exaggerating about the 20 lanes. It's only 10. 5 lanes per side. And the driving really isn't that bad once you get used to it. But if they're not comfortable driving in the US, then of course they should use public transportation. Unfortunately the Expo line isn't finished yet, and isn't expected to be completed until next year or the year after. It starts downtown and when done it will end in Santa Monica. It currently ends in Culver City. But they can take buses, too.

Reactions: ledboots
I drove in Manhattan once and thought it was easier than expected. LA sounds horrible...Definitely not for me. I'm still having nightmares from Boston, lol.

With fiancé being a fairly nervous person anyway, I really don't think he's going to want to drive a car around LA! I was all up for public transport (& taxis) anyway though.

Reactions: KLS52
With fiancé being a fairly nervous person anyway, I really don't think he's going to want to drive a car around LA! I was all up for public transport (& taxis) anyway though.

The less stress the two of you have on your honeymoon, the better. :yes:

And hey, *I* have a car. All I need to do is clean all the tons of crap out of it, and replace the timing belt which is expensive. And then say the word and I'll be happy to give you both a lift to a museum or restaurant or wherever you want to go. :D

Reactions: KLS52 and AeryFairy
I swear the best meal I've ever had was at The Millennium in San Francisco! The Greens was extraordinary too. Alcatraz is a very fun day/1/2 day. The cells are fascinating to see! We also enjoyed Golden Gate Park - there's a lovely Japanese garden. As for RFD, the one in Santa Monica is pretty good. It's a lovely walk from there to the pier and there are some cool rooftop restaurants with decks for after dinner drinks. If you're in the area, you should check out The Getty. If you have a clear day (which is rare in LA!) the views are spectacular!

Lol, I find driving in Boston a nightmare. There is no rhyme or reason to the layout, whereas NYC has a grid system that makes complete sense. I always compare driving in Boston is like following paved cow paths!

OK, back OT: I second Alcatraz and Golden Gate Park if you're going to San Fran and also the really steep street for walking. My friends and I did the walk after a few glasses of wine and much giggling ensued. :D Definitely check out the pier as well. San Fran was beautiful. I'm not sure about vegan-friendly places, as I was still vegetarian when I visited there, but I do remember enjoying some very tasty food. Good eats.

Aery, while you and your SO are in San Francisco, don't forget to try some authentic San Francisco sourdough bread. For obvious reasons, it's better than all other sourdough bread.

ETA: I have another restaurant recommendation for the Los Angeles area: Fresh Brothers, a local pizza chain http://www.freshbrothers.com/

You can get a pizza with vegan cheese (Daiya) on a vegan crust. They have vegan sausage (Gardein) for the pizza. They have vegan tenders (breaded and baked "chicken") as an appetizer. You can get a salad made to order (ingredient choices include vegan cheese and wide variety of veggies), with a dairy free vegan dressing; choices given on the menu I'm holding are: House Italian, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Ranch and Blue Cheese.

They have a location in West Hollywood (Santa Monica Blvd. at Westbourne) as well as elsewhere; I'll bet they'll deliver to your hotel, but they also have locations in Hollywood, Brentwood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica if you find yourselves in any of those areas and want a vegan pizza. :)

Last edited:
Oh, and NEVER refer to San Francisco as Frisco while you're there. Locals hate that nickname.

^How weird! This was just a line on Modern Family on Wednesday night. Jay was calling Gloria and told her he was in Frisco and her reply was "Never refer to San Francisco as Frisco . The locals hate that".
I guess that's really well known?

Reactions: ledboots
Also don't forget: September is the hottest month of the year in L.A., and the sun can be pretty nasty. Make sure you have with you: A hat with a wide brim, sunglasses, and plenty of sunscreen with a decent SPF (30 or greater).