Buying a House

It appears that the coal- and oil- burning part of the power station has closed down, and they are now only burning natural gas! I knew part of the facility had been demolished, but I didn't realize it was no longer burning coal. Well, that might change some things!
Well that is great, definitely improves the property! [emoji4] Best of luck on your decision!

What are you planning to do ? I suppose that the bidding process will mean that the price will go up. I've never seen property ( except for at auctions) go through this kind of sale.
We have decided we don't want this property after all :|I think we will see if we can find a semi-detached or terraced house instead. I quite liked the location, but living on top of another family and not having a view or direct access to the garden through a back door made this place less desirable.

We have decided we don't want this property after all :|I think we will see if we can find a semi-detached or terraced house instead. I quite liked the location, but living on top of another family and not having a view or direct access to the garden through a back door made this place less desirable.

Do you have any other properties lined up ?

Do you have any other properties lined up ?
No, not yet. We're hoping more properties will come on the market as we approach the summer. People seem to want to move more in the summer holiday so their children won't have to switch schools during the school year. (Presumably the properties will be advertised a little before then.)

Reactions: ledboots
No, not yet. We're hoping more properties will come on the market as we approach the summer. People seem to want to move more in the summer holiday so their children won't have to switch schools during the school year. (Presumably the properties will be advertised a little before then.)

I'm looking forward to see what houses are on your 'to see list'.;)

We've found another house of interest. It's a terraced house not far from where we live now. It has its own garden. No pictures posted from the inside yet. We'll be contacting the agent as soon as they open today...

Something that makes me pause is the fact that only 4 years ago it was sold for £149k, and now the asking price is £215k.

We've found another house of interest. It's a terraced house not far from where we live now. It has its own garden. No pictures posted from the inside yet. We'll be contacting the agent as soon as they open today...

Something that makes me pause is the fact that only 4 years ago it was sold for £149k, and now the asking price is £215k.

I can't wait to see it. You'd think that I'm buying it for myself!!! :D House prices have risen since the last year, especially in the South.

A colleague at work is also house hunting and I'm also quite involved and helping him out.:up:

It's probably had a lot of work done to it. That plus the fact that house prices have risen would easily account for it.

A lot of the properties that we're looking at have gone up in price significantly over the last 5 years or so. Really wish we'd been in a position to buy back then!

In theory it doesn't matter that much what happens to the value of the property after you buy as long as you want to stay there for a while. The only problem would be if you fell into negative equity and you needed to move house again.

One thing that I have noticed, apart from the obvious increase in house prices in London and the South East, is how much wages have stagnated. I was looking at a temp agency website the other day and the wages are at the same level as they were when I was doing some temp work well over a decade ago. I even remember doing a summer job while I was at uni in a coffee shop (1995) and I was getting about £8 an hour back then.

As for all our viewings on Saturday - it went really well. We found our dream home! But it's not one we viewed. And it's not for sale. We were walking back from a (disappointing) viewing and looking around the neighbourhood, and spotted some houses which were tucked away. We walked towards them a little and found a beautiful street full of gorgeous properties that seem to be everything we want. So we looked it up online, found some old listings for properties on the road, and not only are they amazing, they're in our price range :D We're still going to look at other things, but we're hoping one will come on the market.

One of the houses is up for sale! A three-bed semi detached house, with a decent size kitchen, off-road parking, a beautiful back garden, and a conservatory :D it's right opposite a park too, and two minutes' walk away from a tram stop to get back into the city centre. I called the estate agent as soon as I saw the listing... Apparently I called less than a minute after they put it online :blush: can't wait to go and see it!

One of the houses is up for sale! A three-bed semi detached house, with a decent size kitchen, off-road parking, a beautiful back garden, and a conservatory :D it's right opposite a park too, and two minutes' walk away from a tram stop to get back into the city centre. I called the estate agent as soon as I saw the listing... Apparently I called less than a minute after they put it online :blush: can't wait to go and see it!

I can't wait to see it….. I know that you don't want to post the link.:rolleyes::D

Buying/selling a house is torturous stuff. Daughter is supposed to close on the sale of her house, April 2. The appraisal hasn't been done and the buyers have not been mortgage approved yet. Daughter is having a hard time finding a suitable rental until she finds another house to buy. She can't decide if she wants to stay in her current town or move 1-2 towns over. Luckily Josh's school will let him finish out the year if she moves out of town but she will have to drive him at least 30 minutes there and back. Then there's the packing which she hasn't started. Glad it's her and not me but I'm having mom stress on her behalf, lol.

We love it :D

There's just a small issue - it's a leasehold, which means we wouldn't exactly own the house. It's not a total deal breaker, we just need to find out the terms of the lease and how long is left on it. We also have one more house to see before we make a decision. But we might be putting an offer in!

Just had a call from the estate agent, there's already an offer in. We don't have the info we need to make a decision yet. Ugggggghhhhh.

^ I think it's nice and quirky Shyvas. Does it say how much it costs?

One of my close neighbours has put their house up for sale which is irritating as it's not meant to be a good idea if competing properties are up for sale so I hope the house sells before we put ours on the market. They are having an open-house which means a lot of people have to book appointments to go and see the house in the same day.

I will be snooping out the window to see how much interest the open-house generates.:D