Brits must tackle food waste and cut down on meat, MPs urge

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
British consumers should be encouraged to curb food waste and cut back on meat consumption to ensure food security and avoid ‘shocks’ to global food prices, a new report by MPs has suggested.
Full article: Brits must tackle food waste and cut down on meat, MPs urge (The Grocer, 4. June 2013)

It's interesting the "selection" of "responses" to the report this publication managed to dig up - both are from meat producer organisations, and of course they were not happy. They didn't bother to ask any consumer organisations, organisations concerned with public health such as physicians or nutritionists, the vegetarian or vegan society, or any animal rights organisations etc.

from the article said:
“Thanks to a short supply chain, the poultry industry contributes efficiently to feeding the world, in an environmentally responsible way.”

I think that poultry production must be polluting.

I'm not sure how inefficient it is. I read that it isn't that an inefficient conversion from feed to meat.

I have sometimes wondered how efficient the production of wheat gluten meats is.. Do they just wash all the carbohydrates down the drain?