Brand new vegan recipes ideas?

nat1713

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there after along time trying every diet under then sun, then finally realising its about being healthy more that anything I started eating healthy, then about a month ago I started considering going vegan but was very worried about what family members would think as they are all massive meat eaters, my partner was vegetarian for 4 years then started eating meat again, so I knew he would be somewhat supportive. surprisingly my whole family who I also thought were closed minded are being dead supportive. So I started being vegan about 2 weeks ago, but using soy based alternatives at meal times, after reading a lot about soy ive decided I don't really want to eat too much of that either, but now am trying to figure out my dinners next week and am completely clueless and a lot of the recipes on the web don't look very nice :/ wondering if anyone could help me and give me a bit of inspiration? thanks

Reactions: 1 person
I started considering going vegan but was very worried about what family members would think as they are all massive meat eaters[...] surprisingly my whole family who I also thought were closed minded are being dead supportive.

That's so wonderful. I love it when that happens - when people rise to the occasion. You are lucky to have your family!

I am soy-intolerant myself so I eat a low-soy vegan diet as well.

These websites have soy-free recipe filters:
https://veganlifestyleassoc.com/recipes/?q=0
http://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes/soya-free
http://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk/allergy-information/soya-free

My go-tos include home-made soups, stews, curries, chillis. I'm a one-pot kind of cook. :) I know you've been put-off by some online recipes but I can vouch for www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk, which another forum member recommended me.

I also uploaded this some time back:
[GALLERY=media, 162]Beetroot & Pumpkin Lasagne by winter.frost posted Oct 31, 2015 at 10:54 PM[/GALLERY]

Do you have a Pinterest account? On there you will find zillions of amazing vegan recipes and it can really give you inspiration. I have all my favourites together there under different categories. Take a look if you want, my user name is Janice Chrin. Current fave vegan recipe books are both of The Happy Pears books...2 Irish lads who do simple vegan cooking...but not strict and sometimes cheese and eggs thrown in.... Good luck with your vegan diet! Hope you end up feeling great and decide to,become a full time vegan whatever the reaction of your family!

Hello,

I really appreciate that you are trying to be Vegan. Even i have started designing or creating vegan recipes specially the ones which we eat/drink regularly because I feel we miss a lot when we turn Vegan our regular food which we use to it regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there after along time trying every diet under then sun, then finally realising its about being healthy more that anything I started eating healthy, then about a month ago I started considering going vegan but was very worried about what family members would think as they are all massive meat eaters, my partner was vegetarian for 4 years then started eating meat again, so I knew he would be somewhat supportive. surprisingly my whole family who I also thought were closed minded are being dead supportive. So I started being vegan about 2 weeks ago, but using soy based alternatives at meal times, after reading a lot about soy ive decided I don't really want to eat too much of that either, but now am trying to figure out my dinners next week and am completely clueless and a lot of the recipes on the web don't look very nice :/ wondering if anyone could help me and give me a bit of inspiration? thanks

Soy is not bad for you - just make sure to each whole soy products (https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately this has been my favorite. Jamie Oliver's baked squash

Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash , (1.2kg)
  • olive oil
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 bunch of fresh sage , (30g)
  • 10 sun-dried tomatoes
  • 75 g vac-packed chestnuts
  • 75 g basmati rice
  • 75 g dried cranberries
  • 1 pinch of ground allspice
  • red wine
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
  2. Wash the squash, carefully cut it in half lengthways, then remove and reserve the seeds. Use a spoon to score and scoop some flesh out, making a gully for the stuffing all along the length of the squash.
  3. Finely chop the scooped-out flesh with the seeds and put into a frying pan on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil.
  4. Peel, finely chop and add the onion and garlic, stirring regularly while you pick the sage leaves and finely chop them with the sun-dried tomatoes and chestnuts.
  5. Stir into the pan with the rice, cranberries and allspice, add a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper and a swig of red wine, and mix well. Fry for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
  6. Pack the mixture tightly into the gully in the two squash halves, then press the halves firmly back together. Rub the skin of the squash with a little oil, salt and pepper, and if you’ve got them, pat on any extra herb leaves you have to hand.
  7. Place the squash in the centre of a double layer of tin foil, then tightly wrap it up. Bake for around 2 hours, or until soft and cooked through.
  8. Once ready, take the squash to the table and open up the foil in front of everyone, then carve into nice thick slices and serve with all the usual trimmings.

If you are really worried about too much soy try using other legumes such as chick peas. I recently learned that tofu can be made with chick peas too. But I'm sure some of the negative press about soy comes from meat and dairy industry groups trying to scare people looking for alternatives.