Black Lives Matter protesters shut down Sanders event in Seattle

well organisations/causes have been known to have been hijacked I think.
Not that I can think of any myself...
If you listen to Marissa Johnson's words (Mara Jacqueline Willaford is standing next to her) it's clear that she is not from the Clinton camp or the GOP.

I believe that black lives matter. I believe police unjustly brutalize people every single day with an undeniable prejudice toward people of color. Cops are PIGS... I don't know maybe I'm a dick but hypothetically no matter how passionately I believe in, or how willing I am to fight for and support your cause, if you crash my party my attitude is going to pretty much be **** YOU... It's not your cause that I don't care about, to be honest it's probably just you as a person :)

With that all out of the way.... I agree with Spang, they're definitely not shills.

P.S. censorship sucks :p

BLM_zpsctwkx9i6.png

#BlackLivesMatter is not in the candidate-endorsing business:

At this time, #BlackLivesMatter does not endorse any presidential candidate. Moreover, we are not affiliated with a political party. Our work is not funded or driven by any political party nor is it influenced by local or national candidates.

As stated in our mission, #BlackLivesMatter is an ideological and political intervention; we are not controlled by the same political machine we are attempting to hold accountable. In the year leading up to the elections, we are committed to holding all candidates for Office accountable to the needs and dreams of Black people. We embrace a diversity of tactics. We are a decentralized network aiming to build the leadership and power of black people. We do not endorse any political party and we are not supported by any political party. Our political aims we’ve stated clearly. Historically, all political parties have participated in the systematic disenfranchisement of Black people. Anti-black racism, especially that sanctioned by the state, has resulted in the loss of healthy and thriving Black life and well-being. Given that, we will continue to hold politicians and political parties accountable for their policies and platforms. We will also continue to demand the intentional dismantling of structural racism.

For more information about #BlackLivesMatter nationally, please visit the official website at www.blacklivesmatter.com, follow @BlkLivesMatter on Twitter, or visit the Facebook page here.

Last edited:
well organisations/causes have been known to have been hijacked I think.
Not that I can think of any myself...
When George W. Bush was president, the anti-war movement was hijacked by liberals/progressives and became more anti-Bush than anti-war.

After Barack Obama became president, most of those people became scarce.

boots%20twitter_zpsfqbsfyog.png

So, the interesting question is whether that will help.
I think so.
Two days after the 73-year-old Vermont senator was heckled by Black Lives Matter activists at a Seattle event, Sanders vowed at a Los Angeles arena Monday night to fight harder to "end institutional racism" than any other candidate vying for the presidency in 2016. He even opened his evening lineup with words from his new national press secretary, who is black, and a staunch supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement.

"It is very important that we say the words 'black lives matter,'" Press Secretary Symone Sanders — no relation to Bernie — said in her opener to a crowd of roughly 27,000, including 16,000 inside the arena and thousands more gathered outside, according to the campaign.

"But it's also important to have people in political office who are going to turn those words into action," she added. "No candidate for president is going to fight harder for criminal justice reform and racial justice issues than Senator Bernie Sanders."

Reactions: Andy_T

Interesting logic in the linked article.

The article said:
Black Lives Matter movement has no institutional stake in the victory of either party, but is, in fact, locked in mortal political struggle with other Black people in the Democratic Party

Hence, they "declare ware on the Democratic party".

Truly neutral, then :mad:

From the Who We Are section:

All #BlackLivesMatter. This is Not a Moment, but a Movement

#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was post-humously placed on trial for his own murder. Rooted in the experiences of Black people in this country who actively resist our de-humanization, #BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society.Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.

It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, queer and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all. Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements. It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement.

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity. How Black poverty and genocide is state violence. How 2.8 million Black people are locked in cages in this country is state violence. How Black women bearing the burden of a relentless assault on our children and our families is state violence. How Black queer and trans folks bear a unique burden from a hetero-patriarchal society that disposes of us like garbage and simultaneously fetishizes us and profits off of us, and that is state violence. How 500,000 Black people in the US are undocumented immigrants and relegated to the shadows. How Black girls are used as negotiating chips during times of conflict and war. How Black folks living with disabilities and different abilities bear the burden of state sponsored Darwinian experiments that attempt to squeeze us into boxes of normality defined by white supremacy, and that is state violence.

#BlackLivesMatter is working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. We affirm our contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression. We have put our sweat equity and love for Black people into creating a political project–taking the hashtag off of social media and into the streets. The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.

Don't let some random website on the Internet fill your head with a bunch of nonsense.

"There are Black women protesting violence against Black people, and your response as a white progressive--which I'm sure you would swear over your organic kale smoothie that your Black peoples' ally--but your suggestion is to tase them." --not Marissa Johnson

Marissa Johnson begins speaking at 7:50.

Last edited:
From the Who We Are section:

Don't let some random website on the Internet fill your head with a bunch of nonsense.
The random website raises important questions, and I don't see how the BLM program answers any questions about Marissa Johnson.
Marissa Johnson begins speaking at 7:50.
Well, they've made Sanders out to be some kind of old-white-guy racist. Meanwhile Clinton has come out of it completely unscathed. That is the reality of it.

"The crowd were so ... They were white supremacist liberals, I'll say it a thousand times."
"Anyone who hears me say that [that everyone in the crowd was white supremacists] and thinks about their own feelings first, is a white supremacist."

I think Marissa needs to do a reality check.

Short answer from work: Black lives > white feelings.

Longer answer when I get home.

"Anyone who hears me say that [that everyone in the crowd was white supremacists] and thinks about their own feelings first, is a white supremacist."

I think that you post this demonstrates quite clearly that you are a white supremacist, Indian Summer.
Me too, of course.

Well, they've made Sanders out to be some kind of old-white-guy racist. Meanwhile Clinton has come out of it completely unscathed. That is the reality of it.
Not for lack of trying.

To All the People Asking, Incredulously, Why the Black Matter Protesters Aren’t Doing Whatever Thing People Think They Aren’t Doing

“Why have the Black Lives Matter people only targeted Bernie Sanders???? Why haven’t they targeted Hillary Clinton???”

They did. And they were shut out of the event: Clinton meets Black Lives Matter protesters shut out of event | TheHill

“Why have the Black Lives Matter people only targeted Bernie Sanders???? Why haven’t they targeted any GOP candidates????”

They have: In Nevada, Jeb Bush rally interrupted by Black Lives Matter demonstrators - LA Times

The shade is that at both Bernie Sanders’ and Jeb Bush’s rallies, in response to Black Lives Matter and the interruptions, whites yelled “All Lives Matter!”:

Black Lives Matter Activists Interrupt Bernie Sanders at Social Security Rally - Slog - The Stranger

‘Black Lives Matter’ activists, Jeb Bush meet face-to-face - The Washington Post

The Black Lives Matter movement operates on its own schedule, at its own pace, for its own communities’ purposes; not for the satisfaction of the white gaze.