Biggest frustrations

FloVegan28

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everyone, just wanted to ask what are your biggest frustrations or problems when it comes to vegan food?

That there’s not enough of it when Eating out...we have few options locally. A person gets tired of pasta, salads and hummus. I shouldn’t have to drive for miles to get good vegan food (Or have to cook it myself). I would like to be able to eat out with friends, at a mainstream restaurant, without sacrificing a healthy satisfying meal.

Example of the vegan restaurant that tries to appeal to the masses. It’s a diner that serves basic omni diner food. This is their vegan menu. It’s amazing and 90 minutes away so I rarely get to eat there.
8880A9CA-3530-42D6-9FD5-D88583122517.jpeg4484BE7F-7562-47BE-A298-5BD29E61238D.png

The berries and cream french toast is so delicious.

More restaurants need to get on board and offer more than a veggie burger that may or may not be vegan.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Not sure if you mean having an issue with a particular food, like it doesn’t agree with you or something like that. Hope I wasn’t too far off the mark with your intent for the thread. 😊

The berries and cream french toast is so delicious.

More restaurants need to get on board and offer more than a veggie burger that may or may not be vegan.
Agree, though when there is a vegan veggie burger, I am happy. And that diner menu, yum. Is that Shoreline Diner? We should meet there someday!

Reactions: KLS52
We had a similar thread like a year ago. I'll see if I can find it later. but I remember how I answered it back then.

It was getting something vegan that didn't include ingredients but still having to pay full price. Like getting a vegetarian burrito without cheese or sour cream and still paying the full price.

I guess I've gotten used to it or maybe have found some workarounds cause this doesn't bother me so much. The Mexican restaurant that I have been going to for 20 years now slip extra veggies into my burrito to make up for the missing items. and i found another place that makes a burrito without cheese or meat and charges less.

Subway still charges the same amount for a veggie delight as they do for their ham and cheese. and the veggie delight is just a ham and cheese without any ham and cheese.

Agree, though when there is a vegan veggie burger, I am happy. And that diner menu, yum. Is that Shoreline Diner? We should meet there someday!
Yes it’s Shoreline! I appreciate when there’s a veggie burger. I think I’m just becoming less and less tolerant in my old age and I want more choices, dammit, lol.

Yes it’s Shoreline! I appreciate when there’s a veggie burger. I think I’m just becoming less and less tolerant in my old age and I want more choices, dammit, lol.
Oh, believe me, I always want more choices, hehe.

Reactions: KLS52
We had a similar thread like a year ago. I'll see if I can find it later. but I remember how I answered it back then.

It was getting something vegan that didn't include ingredients but still having to pay full price. Like getting a vegetarian burrito without cheese or sour cream and still paying the full price.

I guess I've gotten used to it or maybe have found some workarounds cause this doesn't bother me so much. The Mexican restaurant that I have been going to for 20 years now slip extra veggies into my burrito to make up for the missing items. and i found another place that makes a burrito without cheese or meat and charges less.

Subway still charges the same amount for a veggie delight as they do for their ham and cheese. and the veggie delight is just a ham and cheese without any ham and cheese.
Yeah - and now they're giving you half as much avocado as they used to (but still charging the same). :/

But yeah - that, and generally just not being able to eat out pretty much at all anymore. I kind of miss the social aspect of it. But being WFPBV and someone who tries to avoid salt and oil - furthermore, someone who doesn't drink alcohol - restaurants are like a thing of the past, which I guess is kind of a bummer. Of course, my bank account likes it though. ;)

Could be worse, so I'm not complaining.

Since I recently started running, I'm going to join up with a running group - something I've never done before - to try combat my lack of a social life (of course I'll bet there'll be few that are vegan - but we'll see I guess).

Hey, don't forget me. 😆
And me! Though it would take me 42 hours to get there, so we'd have to plan really far ahead, lol
I'd love to see more restaurants with that kind of menu where I live. We do have some great vegan restaurants, but few that are casual spots like this. The butternut squash hash and tofu sounds yummy :)

• Haha
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
And me! Though it would take me 42 hours to get there, so we'd have to plan really far ahead, lol
I'd love to see more restaurants with that kind of menu where I live. We do have some great vegan restaurants, but few that are casual spots like this. The butternut squash hash and tofu sounds yummy :)
We'll give you plenty of lead time. 😁 I agree on the lack of vegan casual dining, though it is improving. The vegan restaurants I love in my area are very occasional treats for me because they are pretty pricey. Having more reasonably priced options for dining out is definitely desirable.

^ Exactly. We have a few really nice places which are within a 30-minute drive from me, but they're special-occasion places, so I don't frequent them too often.

There is one place close to me that I will go to which is awesome. They have a 'lentil goodness bowl' which is basically quinoa/rice, kale, garbanzo beans, lentils, shredded carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, sprouts, etc with their "OG" sauce. It's really good... I was getting it a 2-3x/week for a while, but for $10 I ended up just getting the ingredients and making it myself, lol.
Still, it's really nice to have it in a town than continues to have new steak and seafood or hamburger restaurants pop up all the time with zero vegan options.

Places - ESPECIALLY chain restaurants that can afford it - charging extra for a vegan substitute.

I can understand why a small local business really is paying more for hemp milk so does a 50 cent up charge, because a quart of hemp milk costs as much as a gallon of cows milk, ok. One local business gets around this by making their own coconut milk which they offer at no extra charge, but if you choose almond milk instead I honestly don't blame them.

However, I do blame places like Subway or Taco Bell. I think Subway is the worst so I almost never eat there. Taco Bell is better and generally inexpensive overall but I don't like that if I order a chalupa I can substitute beans for free, but have to pay for their cheap pasty guacamole-like substance even though I ask for no cheese AND no sour cream. Give me a break that's two items, and your "guacamole" is made of avocado, water, cheap spices and likely corn syrup and oil. I get revenge by asking for extra onion and extra red sauce on my bean burritos, which is free (no extra cost).

My area is super weird. We have luxurious vegan options near the college and a vegetarian restaurant where almost everything can be veganized, yet the next city over (that is more developed and allows fast food chains) has very few vegan options. I recently discovered one midpriced restaurant that has vegan sushi and spring rolls there, there's a vegan option at the bagel place, and I think that's it besides Taco Bell. Or soup. These crazy people round here all like "our daily soup is usually vegan" and that is the only vegan item on the menu besides a side salad with vinaigrette. Oh I forgot one historic bar does have hummus with crudite, tapenade, nuts and snacks to go with the alcoholic beverages. The coolest old bar does have a portobello mushroom sandwich and a veggie burger, but no vegan cheese options, no vegan mayo, like be happy we fed you... and I want to emphasize this place serves GOURMET level meals at dinner so that's why it annoys me. Like sure you can't afford to buy some Miyokos, this bar has been here since 1875 and that chandelier is worth more than my house.

I hardly ever eat out, so I can't really say I have any frustrations, and if/when I do, they are so minor in the larger scheme of things that they don't matter.

Taco Bell is better

o_O
Umm.. I was unaware that those words could be put in that order anywhere in the entire multiverse, let alone happen in the universe I am currently occupying. Shucks, must mean we are in hell, I reckon.

I don't eat out much either, most of the vegan options around here are very "fru-fru" and over priced. There is a place called Thrive that is mostly vegan, but most of their stuff I could make at home for 1/8th the cost and more to my personal tastes. I do have to hand it to them, they got me to eat their "bacon" tempeh and it was pretty good, which is saying a lot since I also used to think that Tempeh could not exist anyplace in the multiverse except for that one universe where everyone likes the taste of mud. Other options usually involve the impossible burger, which once you have once or twice is like *shrug* 'Its for carnists'... There are a few better options off-island from where I live that I need to check out sometime soon.

Hello everyone, just wanted to ask what are your biggest frustrations or problems when it comes to vegan food?

Limited options when eating out. Although that isn't too much of a frustration as I hardly ever do it. As for vegan food itself, I have 0 issues. I love that I can get all my nutrition and then some by eating a variety of whole grains, tubers, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with the added variety that different spice combinations make and feel satisfied. It's empowering, liberating and a blessing in so many ways, not to mention being both directly (buy now) and indirectly (pay for later in health) cheaper than dead flesh.