Big Lots deal

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I just came from Big Lots and found an incredible deal. A few weeks ago, I bought a couple cans of Progresso Frijoles Negros y Jalapeno Soup for $1.30 a can. These are those oversized cans of soup, by the way. I thought that was a great deal. Well, today they had them for fifty cents a can! I filled my basket up with them. I think I will go back and get more. I don't know if this price is a mistake or if they are just trying to get rid of them.

And in case you are wondering, I had already looked up the soup to see if it was vegan friendly. It is according to this email response someone posted: http://peaceloveveganhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/03/progresso-soup-inquiry.html.

I basically just wanted to brag about this bargain. I'm also curious if it's that price at other Big Lots stores.

Reactions: CrowCaw
Could it have been in their markdown section by any chance? If so check the expiration date. I always buy food off their markdown section , but it's always expired. I have no issues with consuming expired foods though.

I love Big Lots! They have so many awesome vegan goodies for cheap prices. Newman O's , Annies, Enjoy Life Foods, Kashi, Clif bars, Luna Bars, EnviroKids cereals, Nature's Path cereals/granola, Bob's Red Mill products, Silk soymilk, organic fair trade coffee/teas, various international foods (curries, Thai Kitchen products, sauces, German foods, etc.)

This weekend they are having a 20% off deal w/ a coupon. Most likely there will also be coupons right at the register or handed out in the store if you don't want to print it out. At least that's been my experience with every Friends & Family 20% sale I've been to there.

Could it have been in their markdown section by any chance? If so check the expiration date. I always buy food off their markdown section , but it's always expired. I have no issues with consuming expired foods though.
I love Big Lots! They have so many awesome vegan goodies for cheap prices. Newman O's , Annies, Enjoy Life Foods, Kashi, Clif bars, Luna Bars, EnviroKids cereals, Nature's Path cereals/granola, Bob's Red Mill products, Silk soymilk, organic fair trade coffee/teas, various international foods (curries, Thai Kitchen products, sauces, German foods, etc.)

This weekend they are having a 20% off deal w/ a coupon. Most likely there will also be coupons right at the register or handed out in the store if you don't want to print it out. At least that's been my experience with every Friends & Family 20% sale I've been to there.

The cans have an expiration of Jun 2013 and I think canned soup is set good for 2 years, so these are probably a little over a year old. I also don't have a problem with certain expired food, especially if it canned/jarred and not opened yet.

I haven't seen all the name brands that you listed, but I do run across a lot of vegan items by name brands I never heard of. One such item today was from Konex Foods - Roasted Red Pepper (some kind of sauce or spread). It has the vegan symbol on the back. I think I'll toss it in with some ziti pasta. They also have cans of "giant beans" in a tomato based sauce which also carries the vegan symbol on the can. They also have their own line of ready-to-eat, shelf stable products, of which 3 are vegan. I wrote reviews on them, but have not posted them yet because VV doesn't have a review section yet. These go for only $1.50 each, which is also a pretty nice deal. I could talk all day about the stuff I find at Big Lots. The good thing is that there's always new things. The bad thing is if you like something they carry, it may be gone the next time you return and it might never come back.

Reactions: thefadedone
Oh man...I don't have a Big Lots! :(

Nevermind...I take that back! I found one only 16 miles away! :)

The good thing is that there's always new things. The bad thing is if you like something they carry, it may be gone the next time you return and it might never come back.

:yes: Exactly.

We need a review section here on VV so we know what products to stock up before they disappear from Big Lots!

I plan on hitting up Big Lots for the official vegan exchange. I'm hoping to find some products here that others can't seem to find, but want to try.

I like big lots they used to have two close to me....they closed the bigger one kept the smaller one....you can find some awesome bargains there....but I hate that they dont take coupons of course.

peace:)

Bumping this because I continue to find great deals and vegan products at Big Lots. My local store recently started carrying Nayonaise for only $1.50 a jar. Sadly I always hated mayo and won't go near any vegan versions so I didn't purchase any. They also started selling Lara Bars, Dream alternative milks , and they seem to keep expanding their organic products.

I also hit the jackpot and found Wickles Pickles products! Normally they sell for around $3-4 dollars a jar at grocery stores, but Big Lots had them for only $2. :pa:

I love Big Lots. :smitten:
I always pick up soya milk, organic wholwheat pasta, flavoured drink mix sticks and protein bars. You also get good deals on their tortilla chips (usually $ 1) as well as chocolate and sweets.
They also have a section for pets and I bought some soft toys and a leash for furry baby.

Sheesh I haven't been in a Big Lots in YEARS. There is no Big Lots close to me, so that's why I just don't get there.

Sheesh I haven't been in a Big Lots in YEARS. There is no Big Lots close to me, so that's why I just don't get there.

This one looks like it's the nearest one to your home town. You could prehaps drop in if you're in that area.

3115 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90034, United States
+1 310-391-1472

This one looks like it's the nearest one to your home town. You could prehaps drop in if you're in that area.

3115 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90034, United States
+1 310-391-1472

Haha yeah I know about that one. It's at least a 45 minute drive down there depending on the freeway traffic. And I don't get to that area too often. I'd have to plan a trip there.

Well, I suppose maybe it's worth it. As mentioned, I haven't been in a Big Lots in years, so I'd like to see what I've been missing. :)

Reactions: shyvas
I love Big Lots. :smitten:
I always pick up soya milk, organic wholwheat pasta, flavoured drink mix sticks and protein bars. You also get good deals on their tortilla chips (usually $ 1) as well as chocolate and sweets.
They also have a section for pets and I bought some soft toys and a leash for furry baby.
I have found great cell phone and computer accessories there for dirt cheap.

I have found great cell phone and computer accessories there for dirt cheap.

Me too. Plus they have some really cute kitchen utensils and gadgets. Their furniture seems to be hit or miss. I still have my computer desk that I bought there over 10 yrs ago although it's not still in one piece.:p

Is it their brand or nationally or internationally known brands?

Not their brand, a wide range of brands and imports too. I get a lot from Chile, New Zealand, Spain and other places. Some brands I have found are Night Harvest, Red Truck, Twin Fin, Cook's, Barefoot Bubbly. There is always interesting ones I have never seen before too.

Prices range from $3-$10