US Big Grocery Stores and Unhealthy Diets

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've stopped shopping at the big supermarkets, like Kroger, etc, because I found the wide variety of vegan convenience processed foods isn't really good for me. Every time I went to the Big Box stores, my cart just seemed to come out filled with Beyond Burgers, vegan sausages, Incogmeato, Gardien, and all the rest.

I've switched my shopping to a small local store that has a good produce dept, and a tiny section of Morningstar Farms items, and some plant based meatballs. For things like vegan mayo, tofu, Miyoko's, wholegrain bread, and other specialty items; I head over to the local health food store.

This new plan has helped my diet and my wallet. When I walk out of the store now, my cart is filled with produce, beans, grains, frozen veggies, and not much else. I was eating a much healthier vegan diet before the surge in vegan convenience foods.

I think the new plant based vegan foods will help people reduce their consumption of animal products; and it is certainly better for the animals and the environment, but it wasn't healthier for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post. Grocery stores stock what humans buy, and unfortunately take-out processed foods are
easy to grab. I eat whole foods, have never consumed the impossible stuff. However years ago I did eat the
tofurkeys at 2 holidays, and years before that I ate a lot of soy hot dogs. I know some people like them but I
thought they tasted like salty rubber, yuck. There are some good hummus's on the market, Aldi carries an
organic one. Just because it is labeled "vegan" does not make it healthy--it can be
loaded with salt, sugar, or oils. I stick to the produce section plus grains, beans, nuts, vegetables, fruit and seeds.
Salads, smoothies are a great meal. If you make your own it save lots of money and wasted packaging. Crock-pots,
salad bowls, dehydrator, blender, cuisinart are great tools. The raw-er and healthier the meal, the better i feel. Cheers.