Becoming vegan

Nicholas

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
As a 17 year old who has been Vegetarian for at least five years now how could I go about becoming vegan? Where could I get all the nutrients and vitamins I need that I would normally get from milk cheese etc?

You can get calcium and iron from greens. Add nutritional yeast to your food and take a b complex vitamin. Drink soy, almond, cashew or hemp milk. Beans also have iron in them.

Eat a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables (including some green veg), grains/carby foods (bread/rice/pasta) and some legumes (beans, lentils, chick peas, soy products, peas).

The legumes will give you complete proteins. A varied and balanced diet along the lines of above would give you most of the nutrients you need.

Take B12 (e.g. from a supplement), and get ensure you get sources of calcium and iodine (see link below) as you eliminate milk and cheese. There is nothing else in milk and cheese that you need.

Also, consider eating some nuts as you transition because you are reducing the amount of fat in your diet by eliminating milk and cheese and nuts can offset that and may be helpful for your body to adjust. Although it's also possible that this isn't strictly necessary. Consider almonds (calcium) and walnuts (Omega 3).

For a very short article on vegan nutrition I wrote see here https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/vegan-nutrition/ It's based mainly on scientific studies and opinions of professional nutritionists.

Consider to very slightly increase your snacks or portion sizes as you eliminate cheese and milk, to maintain calorie levels. Or, if you want to lose weight, don't bother.