Beans making me feel bad

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Greetings!

I am new here, I am new to vegan philosophy, and even in transition.
However, having great difficulties in food, especially in the matter of grains.

My body does not seem to digest well (no good) any kind of beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, etc.

I get upset, because how can I follow a vegan diet this way. And getting back to eating meat is not an option.

I already had gastritis and giardia, but fine today.

I've tried medical help, and by exclusion, I've been told that I may have irritable bowel syndrome or IBS.

Well, I've already done a FODMAP diet, to control it for a year, but it's just to go back to eating 50g of beans, that an hour later I'll be feeling bad.

I always soak overnight, and cook very healthy.

Does anybody here has already been through this?

Hi there, Hrodik, and welcome to the board, and welcome to the vegan way of life :)

I've had issues with some legumes in the past. (I think you mean legumes, not grains?) But it turned out it was mostly because I didn't boil them for long enough, or possibly they were past their expiration date. Typically, my stomach prefers canned beans and chickpeas over those I prepare on my own by cooking dried beans / chickpeas from scratch. Lentils on the other hand I can cook and eat well. And fresh or frozen peas are never a problem.

IBS could be your problem, sorry to hear that. If you really think that could be the problem, then you should get that checked out.

Reactions: Hrodrik
@Hrodrik :welcome:

I certainly hope you find some answers soon. I'd have to agree with our esteemed administrator about the canned beans, though... rinsed & drained, I really haven't had any problems. Before I went veggie, I had all SORTS of intestinal issues... bloating, extremely painful gas, etc. Now? All good! :)

How long have you been veg*an?? If it hasn't been very long, you may just need an adjustment period. I'd try out making small simple dishes with only one type of bean/legume at a time, then note the results, good or bad.... perhaps you might be able to weed out the trouble-makers that way.

I've only had issues with meat and too much raw veggies
It is important to cook till soft, and rinse and add fresh water before cooking. Kombu - a type of seaweed you can get in Asian groceries or specialty aisles- is supposed to help digestion. I use a pressure cooker.
I'm a little confused about the timeline of your digestive problems. You say you had giardia--which is horrid parasite. Were you still eating meat then? Did your doctor say anything about the giardia or the medicine for it causing side problems? I'm just thinking your intestinal flora may be wacky. Have you tried probiotics? Digestive enzymes?
Do you feel your doctor is doing the right investigation? Are they in favor of you eating veg? Can you see a dietician?

Hi there, Hrodik, and welcome to the board, and welcome to the vegan way of life :)

I've had issues with some legumes in the past. (I think you mean legumes, not grains?) But it turned out it was mostly because I didn't boil them for long enough, or possibly they were past their expiration date. Typically, my stomach prefers canned beans and chickpeas over those I prepare on my own by cooking dried beans / chickpeas from scratch. Lentils on the other hand I can cook and eat well. And fresh or frozen peas are never a problem.

IBS could be your problem, sorry to hear that. If you really think that could be the problem, then you should get that checked out.

Sorry for my english. I'm not native. It's legumes.
Yup, I always try to cook dried beans by myself. Canned I really have to try. But a little afraid of all the chemistry involved.
But I'll give it a try.

Thanks!!!

@Hrodrik :welcome:

I certainly hope you find some answers soon. I'd have to agree with our esteemed administrator about the canned beans, though... rinsed & drained, I really haven't had any problems. Before I went veggie, I had all SORTS of intestinal issues... bloating, extremely painful gas, etc. Now? All good! :)

How long have you been veg*an?? If it hasn't been very long, you may just need an adjustment period. I'd try out making small simple dishes with only one type of bean/legume at a time, then note the results, good or bad.... perhaps you might be able to weed out the trouble-makers that way.

I have been vegan for a very little period of time.
About 3 months.

But this problems I have for about one year or more.
The fact is, that beans were making me feel sick, nouseous, even when I was eating meat.
At that time I just stopped eating beans, and moved on.
But all my life I ate, and just like that, just messed up.

I gonna try to eat smaller portions.

Thanks a lot!

I've only had issues with meat and too much raw veggies
It is important to cook till soft, and rinse and add fresh water before cooking. Kombu - a type of seaweed you can get in Asian groceries or specialty aisles- is supposed to help digestion. I use a pressure cooker.
I'm a little confused about the timeline of your digestive problems. You say you had giardia--which is horrid parasite. Were you still eating meat then? Did your doctor say anything about the giardia or the medicine for it causing side problems? I'm just thinking your intestinal flora may be wacky. Have you tried probiotics? Digestive enzymes?
Do you feel your doctor is doing the right investigation? Are they in favor of you eating veg? Can you see a dietician?

Hi Silvia!

I had giardia when I was still eating meat.
Took antibiotics, tested agains, and it was eliminated.

I think, from that moment on, my digestion was never the same.
I got a soft gastritis, reflux, and so many food intolerances.

The antibiotics, was in fact too strong, and maybe damaged my gut.
That's what I think, cause any doctors even considered that. They just focused in prescribe me more and more PPI, which I have already told that gives me pain, and more digestive problem.

And now my life is that way.
Eating small, getting not enough nutrients, losing weight, and hoping so much to get better, to be able to eat normally, start to exercice again e so on.

I tried probiotics, and no change.
Trying now alpha-galactosidase enzymes. (seems to be the same too)

My GI doctor is not in favor of going vegan. But, I notice that the majority of them, do not have enough information about.
They always say "Were will you get the proteins. You just can't".

I am trying to make an appointment with a vegan nutritionist this month.

Thanks!

Sorry for my english. I'm not native. It's legumes.
Yup, I always try to cook dried beans by myself. Canned I really have to try. But a little afraid of all the chemistry involved.
But I'll give it a try.

Thanks!!!
I actually had to look it up on Wikipedia to be sure regarding grains vs legumes, as I wasn't sure myself. You're not wrong, it's just that legumes are more specific. Legumes are grains, but not all grains are legumes. (And dried legumes are sometimes called pulses. BTW, 2016 had been declared by the United Nations as the International Year of Pulses.)

I think cooking dried beans is the best thing, if you have the time and manage to do it properly. It's cheaper and you know more about how they were made. One thing I read was that the older the dried beans are, the longer they need to cook before they're edible.

The advantage of canned beans is that they're more convenient and they're prepared more or less perfectly, ready to eat in most cases.

Yup, that'll screw up your digestive tract, for sure. :sadnod: Antibiotics are meant to kill ALL bacteria, including the good kind that your gut needs to stay healthy.
Even understanding the risk of self searching on the internet, it's inevitable cause sometimes I feel in a maze, but this may suggests SIBO.
Makes so much sense for me.
But I'll be careful, and hopefully get the attention of my nutritionist for that possibility.

Probiotics may be a solution. But I've tried, and I have not had any improvements.

Even understanding the risk of self searching on the internet, it's inevitable cause sometimes I feel in a maze, but this may suggests SIBO.
Makes so much sense for me.
But I'll be careful, and hopefully get the attention of my nutritionist for that possibility.

Probiotics may be a solution. But I've tried, and I have not had any improvements.

Hmmm... obviously sugar-free Greek yogurt is out if you're vegan.... :???: A few links here:

Seven Foods to Supercharge Your Gut Bacteria

5 Steps to Build and Maintain a Healthy Gut

10 vegan probiotic sources that help boost immunity & promote good gut health

10 Ways to Improve Your Gut Bacteria, Based on Science

I'm on VERY low sodium diet, so fermented foods kinda scare me.... I know they're supposed to be awesome for you, but most are notoriously high in sodium, and excess amounts of salt aren't good for anyone... I can't imagine it would be good for intestinal health either. :confused:

Have you tried sprouting beans? They're delicious! I love them in salads but you can cook with them as well. Sprouted beans are supposed to be easier to digest. Maybe worth a try? I found this link interesting:
How to Cook with Sprouted Beans

Never even heard of it! :) Is this stuff readily available at, say, health food stores in the U.S. (particularly Michigan)??

I think these foods are associated with Indian cooking, i.e/., as in the Subcontinent of India, next to Pakistan.

I think these foods are associated with Indian cooking, i.e/., as in the Subcontinent of India, next to Pakistan.
I gathered that from the optional Hindu translation.... ;)

I'm pretty good at figuring that kinda sh*t out. It still doesn't change the fact that I live in Mid-Michigan. LMAO :rolleyes:

I gathered that from the optional Hindu translation.... ;)

I'm pretty good at figuring that kinda sh*t out. It still doesn't change the fact that I live in Mid-Michigan. LMAO :rolleyes:

If you live anywhere near a college town, you could most probably find an Indian/Asian market there. (At least that's my experience of college towns in the Midwest.)

To the OP: not all probiotics are created equal. Some are much more effective than others, so if you have tried only one of two kinds, you might want to try some others. (And I agree that antibiotics create havoc with the digestive system. I always put my animals on a probiotic regimen while they are on antibiotics, and for a period afterwards.)

Reactions: Hrodrik and KLS52
If you live anywhere near a college town, you could most probably find an Indian/Asian market there. (At least that's my experience of college towns in the Midwest.)
We have, near by, Delta College (2-year) and SVSU ... But NEVER what could be called a "college town." :dismay: You need to go down-state to Ann Arbor, Lansing, Ypsilanti, Detroit, or Grand Rapids for cool, creative, exotic, or vegan fare. :pout: I've mentioned how frustrating this area is, yes?? :fp: LOL

No worries. I've know some nice folks that work at the little health food store a couple blocks from me & they're happy to special order stuff. "Discount" Health Foods is a misnomer... there's nothing cheap about that place. :confused:

Their bulk nooch is awesome, though! And fairly reasonable! :) I'll ask about Hing the next time I stop over there.

Last edited: