Children Baby led weaning?

IamJen

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any parents here who did baby led weaning? What sorts of foods did you start with? We're just about to dive in with the bean (probably this weekend). Thinking about sweet potato and avocado to start.

Seeing lots of conflicting information about glutinous foods too, re: when to start.

I wasn't aware that this was a thing (I googled the term). Of course, I had a baby over a decade ago (my daughter is pushing 16), so I suppose most parents at the time went for more traditional ways of feeding infants.

This method seems interesting though. I don't plan on having anymore kids, but if I did, I would be interested in finding out more about this.

Hey if this is who I think it is, I already sent you a message about this on FB :)

For others who are reading, we did a modified version of BLW. Started with mashed bananas/avocado/sweet potato/squash/etc, and gradually made things chunkier, let him chew on big pieces of stuff he couldn't break off, etc. He is now 17 months and eats very very well, no texture issues, likes almost everything (well everything he has tried, which is limited to vegan foods).

Ah, you've sussed me out already. :)

We've been doing solids now for about two weeks, just a bit shy of her 6 months anniversary. She's doing some spoon foods (oatmeal, soy yogurt), but mostly finger foods though often we're helping her pick up and/or get to her mouth (she likes to clasp her hands around my fingers that are holding a piece of food and then guide my hand to her mouth...too funny).

She's done really well so far, only one food's proved really too tough for her (oat cakes). She's even had a go with lettuce! She's definitely into bread, pears, avocado and plums, but interested in most anything we throw at her. Yay!

^ Yep, and that with only two teeth so far! (Both front teeth in her lower jaw.) I'm really impressed with her eating solid foods!

Wow! Landon is such a late tether. He didn't get ANY teeth until he was one and then he got 5 at once. He's 15 months now and still only has 7.

Wow, that is unusual! I know several babies who didn't teethe til about 10 months though. Did he manage okay eating with gumming things? I can't believe he's 15 months already! OT, but how are things going with baby #2 so far?

Ah, you've sussed me out already. :)

We've been doing solids now for about two weeks, just a bit shy of her 6 months anniversary. She's doing some spoon foods (oatmeal, soy yogurt), but mostly finger foods though often we're helping her pick up and/or get to her mouth (she likes to clasp her hands around my fingers that are holding a piece of food and then guide my hand to her mouth...too funny).

She's done really well so far, only one food's proved really too tough for her (oat cakes). She's even had a go with lettuce! She's definitely into bread, pears, avocado and plums, but interested in most anything we throw at her. Yay!

It wasn't too hard to figure you out haha ;)

So glad to hear things have been going well! We started just shy of Seb's 6 month anniversary too. He has all the signs of readiness and was super eager to eat so we just let him. We would give Seb a (loaded) spoon and he was pretty good at it right from the get go. I think lettuce is the only thing he really doesn't like. I don't think it's a texture thing because he loves nori which I think is pretty lettuce like when it gets wet. Mango was popular here early on, about the time he started eating it was mango season and a friend was giving us lots of fresh local mangoes (which are just so so so much better than store bought). I guess that means we are coming up on mango season again, heh.

^ Yep, and that with only two teeth so far! (Both front teeth in her lower jaw.) I'm really impressed with her eating solid foods!

Yeah it is pretty amazing how well they can gum things. Seb just had his two bottom teeth when he started eating too. I just remember the surprise on my BIL's mom's face when she saw him snacking on a celery stick at 12 months (and he had been doing that for some time by then too).

Wow! Landon is such a late tether. He didn't get ANY teeth until he was one and then he got 5 at once. He's 15 months now and still only has 7.

That's weird because Seb had 4 (2 top 2 bottom) forever (think he got his first two around 5-6 months? I would have to check the baby book) and he still doesn't have any more teeth at 17 months. He has just the bare beginnings of a bottom molar poking through (saw a white dot on his gums the other day, felt it and it was hard and sharp so I figure that must be what it is!). So, so ready for those molars to come in and have him sleeping more than 1-2 hours at a time :(

I am a complete liar. He has 4 top 4 bottom now not 4 total. And saw more of that incoming molar tonight so almost #9